Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kkong72)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
So today I go over to my buddy's house and tie off from his dock. I was there for about any hour and when I went back down to the dock to go out I see that the back knot on the boat came undone, this lead to the front of the boat rubbing against the dock for who knows how long.

So I now have a section on the front of the boat that I would say is about 12 inches long and about 6 inches tall covered in niches and scratches. I think a decent amount of them will buff out.

My question for you guys is how much do you think it will be to have this repaired? The boat is a 06 Malibu VLX and the gel coat that was damaged is white. Please let me know what your guy's rough estimates are.

Thanks,
Nick
Old     (boomboom)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-19-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
You can order color matched gel coat and do it yourself for prolly around a hundo-ish if they have the paste in the correct color.

http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-19-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
can you have it wet sanded. I had a pretty good scratch that I was surprised they were able to get out by wet sanding it.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
post pics to better answer the question. sucks though. the size of the surface area means nothing compared to the depth of the scratches. you might be able to wet sand and buff them out.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
Gel coat is pretty thick. I''ve had good results wet sanding scratches and scuffs.
It's at least worth a try, then if you can't sand it out, go for rthe spectrum pre mixed color for your hull (not all whites are the same)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-19-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
You should be good with compound and/or wet sanding. Post pics, so folks on here can help and advise. I had a nasty, deep scratch. Got it out by wetsanding with 400, 600, 2500, then finished with compound and polish. Good as new.
Old     (RanchDweller)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-21-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Not to hijack the thread, but how deep can gel coat scratches be buffed out. I got a wicked nasty scratch this last weekend on my deep blue colored gel coat. The scratches are light blue in color and you can definately feel them with your fingernail. The scratches are probably as deep as 5 pieces of paper thick.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-21-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
kkong
we need pics to better see it

ranchdweller
that sounds pretty thick. you could sand it enough to make it not visible unless you look close to it. it will at least bring the color back and most people would never see it

lionel
do you still have all the sand paper and stuff? i just got a few little scrapes last weekend, that I need to sand and buff out? Let me know if so