Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
My review of the 09 vlx... A few of us were given the opportunity to drive ride and photo the new vlx. So Friday afternoon we met up at the launch. The weather was great 80 degrees and only a couple boats on the lake. Perfect. We load up the boat with fat sacs and gear and off we go. First impression- the boat has more room in it. The bow is bigger and there seems to be more little niches for the driver to store stuff. The new interior fixes all the little things you never really thought about until they fixed it. Examples there are power outlets everywhere. The step off the back is a blessing (surprising I didn’t think I would care but it was really nice). The new side panel at the driver’s helm is great storage for all the drivers needs. The new captain’s chair is awesome. It sits higher than previous models and all the controls are within reach from the seated position( no more little latch way down under to swivel, and the lumbar knob is set back further to not be an ankle grabber when facing back). Also the seat got a little shorter so when the bolster is up you don’t have as big of a shelf between your legs.
We were lucky enough to get a boat with the maliview. Wow. As a 900 dollar option it is worth every cent. It gives you all the important info and then some. A 10 year old can figure it out in 5 minutes and a 40 year old can have it figured out in 10 min. the operation is simple and to the point. The pre sets are awesome from the factory and creating your own is as easy as pie. The only thing I would change would be to get rid of everything else and put it all on the maliview. The screen is easy to read (even in direct sunlight). And even easier to navigate. THIS IS A MUST HAVE! With video options and camera options I have to say this is by far the best thing ever. All other manufacturers had better take note as people use it they are going to demand it.

Ok now the goods the wake. We ran the gamete of wake size and shape. We started with the stock settings and worked are way up to the point of filling up bags. All I can say is this boat really doesn’t need bags. The wakeboard wake is awesome from beginner to pro there will be no need for extra ballast. The trough has been laid out and the ramp is long and smooth we ran the boat at 22 and 24 the wake was incredible. I have to say Malibu hit it. This boat will make everyone on the boat happy from the guy how just learned how to get up to the pro who wants to hit 1080`s. with stock ballast. We were so impressed with it that we didn’t even bother adding sacks. There literally was no need.
Now on to my favorite part the surf wave. (As a lot of you know I prefer to surf). Holy crap bat man is how I will start this part. We used the factory presets to start. The regular side was good as good as my 07 with a 750 sac. We put 2 riders on it. Rider A 5’3” and 150# and rider B 5’10” or so and easy230#. Rider A had no problem riding it on a short board a little close to the boat but very ride able. Rider B had a little more difficulty staying in the pocket. But could manage it. Keep in mind this is with the stuck pre set surf setting. So we start checking it out and the stock setting doesn’t fill the bow and keeps the wedge all the way down so of course we fill the nose and bump the wedge up. Rider A now can easily do tricks and ride back in the 10 foot range. Rider B can also now ride it easily and run back to about the 8 foot mark. I have to say that for stock ballast this boat put out an awesome surf wave the beginner and intermediate rider will love it and the pro will find that he wants a little bit more but can do everything he wants to. Now the dark sides take everything I just said and make it bigger better and cleaner. It honestly makes me want to change my preference the goofy riders will never want a fat sac because they won’t need it. The wave is long tall meaty and almost intimidating.
Now let’s add some weight. We filled a 725# bag in the locker. The boat at this point is barely leaning over witch in itself is a weird feeling. So we throw rider b in the water get him up and in the first ten seconds you can tell by the look on his face alone he is happy. The wave is long hip high nice long transition and most important still clean. Rider B is amazed the wave is extremely fun at this point. Now rider A – being that I’m rider A all I can say at this point I’m thinking that this is a sm. Version of the enzo. I can easily get 15+ feet back and come roaring up to the back of the boat without even trying. For me the wave is above my waist is rampy you don’t feel like I’m charging up a wall and the push is awesome and effortless. So now were thinking if a 750 did this what will more do so we fill a 400 on the seats.
Rider A (me ) gets back on it now here’s where it gets funny there really wasn’t a big difference. Now I know in my 07 400# makes all the difference. I have to say I was just as happy without it. Which made my day no exposed bags lying around and a wave that frankly is one of the best I have ever ridden? That being said my comparisons are as follows Malibu- 247 w/3k over stock, 23lsv 2500 over stock, vlx diamond 3k over stock vlx wake 1500over stock. Centurion- enzo 24 enzo bag over stock, 23 enzo with enzo sac over stock. Master craft- x-45 1500 over stock, x-2 2k over stock. As you can see I have surfed behind a few boats. The 09 vlx will be the surf machine you desire with nothing more than a 750 in the locker.

Over all the boat is fantastic I would like to thank the guys at BAKES MARINE for the opportunity to drive, ride, surf and all around climb all over this boat and play with everything. It is hands down amazing and I loved every inch of it. Now if I was you I would quit reading this and go to the dealer for your own test drive. Also I’m tasking donations for supplying you with this great review please send checks to I need a new vlx fund... lol jk. I hope this info and pictures help you out. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Happy boating to you all

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
pics w/ extra weight..

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
THANKS TO BAKES MARINE for making this happen..
thanks Bret, Paul and the rest of the crew.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
good stuff.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
LJ, great review! you sold me on an 09BU. The pics are awesome talk about a 1000 words...
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
sorry Rich but honestly I could have said another 1000 good words.

If anyone wants more pics of what ever I have them. We took pics of every inch of that bad boy..
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-15-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
If you have the time post them up John. I tried to get off early so I could come take a look but didn't quite make it.
Old     (richnnorcal)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
Can't believe u only added 725lbs and it hardly leaned over. the 4th pic down could easily pass for the "is it real?" post..
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-15-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Is that the wakeboard wake with no ballast, it looks a little small, surf wake is SWEET
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
Yeah....let's get a wake review from someone that prefers to wakeboard.

I'll reserve my judgement on the "no need to add bags comments until then."
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-15-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   

quote:

This boat will make everyone on the boat happy from the guy how just learned how to get up to the pro who wants to hit 1080`s. with stock ballast. We were so impressed with it that we didn’t even bother adding sacks. There literally was no need.

You sound like a salesman.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
either its an awkward angle or something, but that wakeboard wake looks a little small. my xti even kicks a wake bigger than that with stock ballast.... that surf wake is awesome
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
I agree that the wakeboard wake looks a little small but its sometimes hard to tell from the boat perspective. My first thought was that my '05 VLX wake looks better but maybe it's just wishful thinking.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
I was on the boat when the pics were taken. I agree the wake looks terrible in the pics but actually looked good in person. Unfortunately we didn't get a rider on a wakeboard for a size comparison. This stock wake with nothing but stock ballast and automatic wedge is probably the biggest you will ever find (outside of an epic 4K ballast stock) in any boat out there. I absolutely couldn't believe the surf wake it was unbelievable with very little additional weight, not just the size of it but the shape as well.

If you ever get a chance to hop in one of these 09's, even if Malibu isn't your flavor I wouldn't pass it up.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on September 15, 2008)
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
liljohn- GREAT review, especially the surf review...I second the 'Holy Crap Batman'-

We just went to the lake yesterday with a buddy from the local dealership and he had one of their brand new '09 VLX's- (http://www.idahowatersports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=0316601X9K15K2008J6I31I36 JPMQ2921R0&veh=951272&nv=y)

We went as 'guests' on the boat and to just surf, hang and chill and help get it dialed for future customers.

Anyways, beautiful boat and the surf wake?...Well, "Holy Crap Batman"! My wife and I also primarily surf & some of you may have seen and read previous posts of mine regarding my 21v surf wake and the challenges I have had getting it dialed in. To make a LONG story short, on our '05 21v I need at least 3750lbs ballast on one side of my boat (including the 1180 lbs gravity games in the middle locker) + a couple of peeps, 12.5 mph to have a wake big and long enough to 'hold/push' my 260lb. fat-arse and for me to play in.

On the VLX- We started with the stock ballast full(front, middle and starboard side tanks) and had 4 average size peeps in boat and me riding. At 10mph the wake wasn't HUGE per say, but it had enough to hold and push me without the rope just fine. I have never ridden behind another boat with just 'stock' ballast or that same amount of weight and have it push and hold me like this one (In case you are wondering- '05 Sanger 210, '08 Epic, '06 VLX, '02 SANTE 210, '07 Moomba GG XLV, my '05 21V, late 90's Maristar)

Now comes the fun part...We added to the stock ballast- 750lbs in rear locker, and 580lbs on seat behind driver, 10 mph. and "Holy Crap Batman!"...big, CLEAN (no rollover prop wash, clean all the way from the rear deck to where it curled which was about 15-20 ft back, alot like liljohns pic), VERY nice wake, wasn't too lippy upt top so you could break the board loose pretty easily, very forgiving wake. LOVED IT!

Other things that I liked-

1. Maliview
2. The new 360hp Monsoon
3. Handled just like what you would expect from a Malibu, absolute 'butta'...

Anyways, Malibu did a great job with the VLX!

And no, we forgot our camera so sorry, no pics .
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, probably has something to do with the new Monsoon 360hp, but- we surfed for a good 6 solid hours and didn't use even close to the amount of gas my 21v (325hp w/high altitude prop) does...In fact, I am going to ask for some of my gas money back!
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-15-2008, 10:01 PM Reply   
Twitch is twitchin for a 09vlx
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2008, 11:20 PM Reply   
It's way past my bedtime, but I cannot stop thinking about this goofey surf wake, seriously...clean, deep/long pocket, forgiving, etc...

I got so wrapped up in the surf wake on my previous post that I forgot to address the wakeboarding wake (which sounds like is most peoples concern from the posts and pics). We only had one rider wakeboard, but here is my assessment from inside the boat-

SPECS-
-6'2" 170lb. rider (the actual buddy from the dealership that took us out)

maliviews automatic 'intermediate' wakeboard setting (btw-very cool feature)
-all 4 stock ballast tanks full
-22.5 mph
-wedge all the way down
-4 average sized peeps
-no additional ballast
-I was driving

Getting on plain was very easy (I literally just pushed the throttle down, let go if it and kept the steering wheel straight, the boat & maliview did the rest)

Once on plain and before the rider went to cross the wake for the first time, my wife and I looked at each other and almost on que both said "that wake isn't anything special, it's actually pretty small" What I meant was- long CLEAN ramp 55-75 ft back, but height wise, pretty small. As comparison, our 21v with only the bow locker 1180 bag full and 4 peeps in it is MUCH bigger and peaky. The VLX has a much longer ramp, but not near the height of our 21v.

Then the rider hit his first HS...and I thought to myself, ok, that wake must be MUCH bigger out there than it looks from inside the boat, he was getting huge air off what seemed to be a pretty small wake, clearing the wake easily with seamingly effortless/non-aggressive cut & very 'quiet' launches. He was somehow was just launching off of this thing and easily clearing the wake with good height landing well past the wake (mostly grabs, 180's, no inverts). One of the other guys on the boat has a '08 Moomba LSV and also made the comment when the session was over that his boats wake with stock ballast seemed to be bigger than the VLX's. The rider, who is a solid Intermediate rider, said "There was more than enough wake out there for just about anybody"

So take it for what it's worth, I am sure that extra ballast in the lockers would make it just that much better. Moral of the story for me regarding the wakeboarding wake...Looks can be deceiving. I still can't get over that goofey surf wake though, RIDICULOUS!

Anyone want to buy an '05 21v?

(Message edited by usostyle on September 15, 2008)
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-16-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
what are the 09s going for
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-16-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Don't know if it matters that much but Bret V was one of the people on the boat and He said the wakes looked awesome. He didn't ride it but it passed the looks test anyways. He said the wake is rampier than the previous VLX with a nice looking lip.
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-16-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Besides the new options and interior changes, are there any difference from a 09 VLX to a 08 VLX?

My GF's family has a 08 VLX at the cabin, So this summer I spent a lot of time on it when we would visit.

I assumed the hull was un changed for 09, but the surf wakes in the pics look nothing like we could get with the 08 ( goofy)

Any idea's or suggestions?
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-16-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
The hull is different, the the basic principles are there. It does have a better rough water ride
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-16-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
larzon is right. the hull is all new. the boat has gotten wider by 2 inches. I will see if I can get more details.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-16-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
the hull is revamped from the 08 Wake 23 hull. It's just a shorter version ala the 04 Wake 23 vs the 05 VLX.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-16-2008, 1:31 PM Reply   
who cares and nu bu, wasn't this demo and test done right after testing the new X-15. do you have some comparisons for us......
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-16-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Matt I know you're a much better surfer than I so you would of had a blast on either boat.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-16-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
actually nubu a comparison would be great
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-16-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
check my other thread about the x15.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-16-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
that surf wake actually set me on a vlx instead of a lsv, i dont like how long the lsv is, i like the look of the shorter vlx, was it roomy enough?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-17-2008, 6:21 AM Reply   
Yup it's 2" wider, I could actually fit my Inland Surfer Blue Lake layed down flat in the bow walkthrough area now. It might say 11 people on the placard on the boat but it's just as big or bigger than any boat out there that says 14 peeps. Malibu bases the placard on weight with ballast full I believe. I've been in an 08' X-star and it's every bit as big, of course the X-star has a bigger bow area.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
does it have more cockpit room then an x-star?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2008, 1:56 PM Reply   
Twitch, the 2005-2008 VLX has more cockpit room than the Xstar does so I would say this has more as well.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-17-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
^^^^^Ya what he said. Twitch go in to Bakes and talk to Brett V or Matt C whenever you get a chance. They'll show you the boat so you can see for yourself.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
Yeah I am planning on going as soon as I can, i really want to see one in person, the pics get me too excited I cant look anymore lol.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       09-17-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
hey twitch we also have a ton of interior pics if there was anything you want to see let me know.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
Twitch, I am sitting right next to Bret right now and he says you can ride behind his 08(it is on our lift) or he will give you a pull on the 09 that nu bu and lil john went out on. He is working tomorrow and Saturday.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
Hey brett that would be awesome if i could check out the 09 at the shop, I dont wanna make you guys give me a pull for nothing though. If he is already going out then yeah sure but I dont wanna make him go out of his way its no biggie right now maybe a little later on. Dont get me wrong I would love a pull behind an 09 but i feel like unless we are about to buy it I dont wanna take your time. I'll see what my pops says maybe he'll want me to get a pull and see what its like. But i have school everyday plus football til like 730 so I will try to make it over there on saturday and check out that 09, Ive been getting really stoked actually on this 09 vlx, not gonna lie ive probably built a dozen on bu's site with different colors and what not lol
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-17-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
Scratch that brett if the weather is nice i will try and get up there and definitely look at the 09 and if he can give me a pull that would be awesome! My dad has friends coming in friday night so it may just be me by myself or with him and his friends not sure. But if we get some good weather i will definitely try to come out.

Thanks brett
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
Give bret a call if you think you want to ride that way he can setup his day. I have a feeling you are going to really like it. You can also take a look at his 08 to see all the stuff you can put on the boat. His has the underwater LED lighting and tower lights. I wakeboarded behind his 08 2 nights ago and it was pretty dark but with the underwater lights it lights up the wake perfectly and doesn't blind you.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-18-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Yeah that would be cool too. Thanks a lot brett. It might be easier for him us to figure it out over email because i can use the email on my phone at school. otherwise I am busy 730 to 730 everyday. my default email for wakeworld isnt working right now so could you give him my other one, its blingmurda@gmail.com. I check it every 15 on my phone so I can try and figure out Saturday with him during the day when I am at school.