Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-18-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
Ok so last weekend we are out surfing and a friend of mine pointed out the fact that the bottom of my Inland surfer is like glass. yet the bottom of my coex has a texture to it. so what im wondering is does the texture affect the performance of my coex? could it be wet sanded to a glass like finish and would it make a differance?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
It sounds like you already know the answer to your question. If there is less drag or resistance on the bottom of your coex it will be faster on the water. The question you should ask yourself is, Is it worth the time and effort you would put into it? Or, would you be better off just getting a different, shall I say, better board. Just something to think about.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-18-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
hey ant I have better boards but I have to say people like the coex. It has alot of float and you can spin it real easy. I was just wondering if it would make it noticably faster. more like my I.S. board. Do you think it would be that hard? To wet sand that is? would I need to re-seal it some how?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-18-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
Simply put, I think the effort/energy/cost is not going to be worth it. You won't gain back what you put in. I would be into trying out the coex. I definitely did not mean to insult your board for that matter. If it came off that way I apologize. It probably wouln't be that hard to wet sand it, and I'm not sure you'd need to reseal it? I just don't know. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Jeff, Ed, Mike perhaps. Good luck.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-19-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
hey ant no offense taken. the coex by no means is an awsome board but I have alot of friends that like it and i enjoy it for spins. but it pails to my inland surfer. I was just thinking I had some time to burn sence the snow is back and thought if it only took a couple hours i might try it. jeff weres your 2 cents? i know you would have a good idea.
Old     (ianhedburg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-19-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
First off the I.S. is made of fiberglass of some sort. The Coax is a compression molded board. (I think) if it is made the same as a traditional wake board it is. So if you start sanding it you may actually wreck the board. If the Coax is fiberglass all you have to do is (wet sand) Start off with 320 grit sand paper and work your way up. It wont take long. You may ruin the graphics, but who cares about graphics...Hope this helps...
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-19-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
wheres Jeff..Jeff hello little love please?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       04-19-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
yeah go ahead i did this to the bottom of an older hyperlite byerly wake board. Its the imprint of the woven fiberglass cloth, you wont go through. You'll want to put some kind sealer on the bottom. I used epoxy because i had it around
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-19-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
I think WAlove is suggesting what I was going to suggest. Put on a thin layer of epoxy over the bottom of the board. Before you apply the epoxy you should sand the coax with, maybe 80 grit, so you’ll have a mechanical interlock between surfaces. It would be a one of a kind board. If it's not your fav and the end result is awful maybe you won’t have lost much.
Old    surfdad            04-19-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
Hey Who...sorry that I've been remiss in posting, we went to the snow today.

I am a HUGE fan of experimenting and I would hate to curtail that effort because you learn so much, even in failure.

The difference is speed and manuverability beween the coex and the IS has very little to do with the surface. Some, no doubt, but after you buffed and polished that Coex you'd barely find a perceptible difference. The real difference between the coex and the IS is bottom design and the fins...or single fin compared to a twin.

If you look at your IS you'll see that the fins have a few unique features the toe-in or angle of the fins towards the nose, the cant or the angle of the fins outwards toward the rails and then also the shape of the outside edge. All of these combine to add lift, drive and the angle of attack that makes the board feel more "grabby" as you turn. Lastly the IS probably has 3 - 4 times the surface area of the Coex and that gives you additional drive.

Finally, compared the rocker on the two boards from the tail forward. You should see more surface area on the IS from the rear foot forward to the front foot.

If you were going to make any changes to the design of the coex, to match the performace of the IS, I'd look at fins and not worry too much about the textured surface.

Now, if you did choose to mess with the bottom, just because you want to tinker and I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY support that - gives you tons of knowledge and that will help you choose boards better in the future. I'd not go with epoxy. Epoxy is a BEAR to get a decent gloss coat with. It pits and develops fisheyes if you look at it wrong.

The IS boards are molded and with that impeccable surface and shine, my guess is that they spray a ployester resin on the mold surface before laying in the fiberglass and epoxy. If you've ever been to a surf shop and looked at shiny "epoxy" boards, most of those have a polyester gloss over the epoxy. A polyester hoat coat and then a gloss coat will give you that super shiny surface and it will kick in under 15 minutes. Compared to hours for the epoxy. Polyester flows and if you do it well, you probably won't even have to sand it.

Let me know if you need details on how to do a gloss coat. My 2 cents
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-20-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
wow Jeff now that was what I was looking for. you are the man. bye the way nice work on the wo contest. cant wait to see the results.