Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
Newbie trying to Re-do the factory system in my new to me '07 VLX.
Where is the best place to install amps, sub? (With the batteries/perko on the observers side or drivers side where the 420s is located?)
Boat came with upgraded towers (Rev10's) and 1 good sub amp, but looking for advice on a good set up for 4 in boats w/amp, a sub, and an amp for the Rev10s for under $1300.
I noticed the WetSounds in-boats are over $100 more/pr. than Exile for same watt/RMS.
Any other brand recommended.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-07-2015, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote: "I noticed the WetSounds in-boats are over $100 more/pr. than Exile for same watt/RMS."
Possibly they do handle the same power. But you'll never really know when comparing power handling specs from one brand to another brand because neither brand publishes any standard or qualification for the power handling spec. Usually the power handling spec is a good guideline for different speaker models or series 'within' the same brand. Kind of like a sensitivity rating or a frequency response but with no amplitude deviation level to qualify it.

Quote: "Any other brand recommended."
It depends on if marine construction is important. You are going to pay more for a true marine speaker that has a polymer basket, coated tinsel leads, synthetic spider, encapsulated crossover and magnet, and a number of other marinized elements. These might include Wetsounds, JL Audio, Polk Audio, and Kicker to name a few. The upper end Kickers are pretty good. I especially like the JL Audio MX series. The Polk Audio MX651UM is among the top marine coaxials. The top Wetsounds is more but worth the extra cost IMO. Now you can get some good sounding speakers at a lower cost when they are built more to an automotive standard, which still might include a poly cone and a butyl surround and can be arguably acceptable for fresh water applications....but definitely not in coastal or brackish areas.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2015, 6:32 PM Reply   
I am surprised my Rev10 covers crews are stripped out. Is there any warranty?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-08-2015, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
I am surprised my Rev10 covers crews are stripped out. Is there any warranty?
I wouldn't be surprised. All it takes is one idiot with an 18 volt drill motor with a Phillips bit. I would check in with Wetsounds to see if they have a remedy. But it would be easy enough to fill the holes with a bonding agent that will adhere to ABS, re-drill the pilot holes and re-tap.

Btw, sub under the starboard side. All batteries and amplifiers under the port side.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-09-2015, 5:57 AM Reply   
How would the new RF PM262B in-boats compare to the WS XS650's and Exile SX65-M??
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-09-2015, 6:43 AM Reply   
The Rockford Fosgate M262B (not sure about the PM designation) is similar to the Wetsounds XS650 in that it is true marine construction in all aspects. The RF also has a second order highpass tweeter crossover. In sound quality I would rate the RF right behind the Wetsounds XS650. Both have metal dome tweeters with a bit of accentuation on the highs but neither overdo the treble....meaning a little kinder to vocals.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-10-2015, 6:26 AM Reply   
The P is their Punch series M is Marine. They are equal to the Kicker or Polk high end series..
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
So the Exile SX65-M would rate right above the Roockford Fosgate?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-10-2015, 2:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
So the Exile SX65-M would rate right above the Roockford Fosgate?
No, not at all. The Rockford Fosgate is a true marine construction in every respect. That's a costly difference. The RF also has twice the crossover elements on the 6.5" model.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-10-2015, 2:33 PM Reply   
I have a complete Exile system and am stoked with it.Their D class amps kill it in my boat and love my SX65M's. In my opinion Exile and Wet Sounds are the 2 premier marine audio brands.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-10-2015, 2:39 PM Reply   
you can't ask David anything about Exile. He is extremely biased against them for personal reasons. Great resource for tech talk but clearly biased in product recommendations. I probably just woke the bear but 'll leave it at that...
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-10-2015, 4:58 PM Reply   
Look, the construction portion of the above speakers isn't arguable. It is what it is. You can't discredit that.
You guys have been overworking that bias and personal stuff whenever you don't agree.
Beyond that, express your personal preference for your favorites. I don't care.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-10-2015, 5:24 PM Reply   
It is getting very old....
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2015, 6:30 PM Reply   
So with 1 Pair Rev10's, Ws420sq , WS Bluetooth Volume Control (WW-BT-VC) but 2 newer RF PM262B's already in the bow, would replacing the other 4 in boats with the same speakers (RF PM262B's) or with XS420's be better for resale? We never crank the in boats anyway. Maybe with the 420's there will be no need for a sub .
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-10-2015, 6:37 PM Reply   
If you are matching existing speakers do the same....
You will want a sub of some sort with that set up.. It's all mids and Highs so far..
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-10-2015, 6:43 PM Reply   
I would stick with matching speakers whenever possible when in that close of a proximity. Even though they are divided by the windshield, there may be times that the difference sound signatures would be noticeable if you mixed in-boats. Feed them at least 75W rms to 100W rms and they will be good.

I would not worry about the audio impact on resale.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2015, 6:46 PM Reply   
I was asking which speaker, since 1 brand would match the towers and the other brand would match the rest of the in boats.
I guess the other option would be for David to give me a great deal on 6 XS420's.
Who gives the best deal on WS anyway?

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-10-2015 at 6:50 PM.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-10-2015, 6:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabledog View Post
you can't ask David anything about Exile. He is extremely biased against them for personal reasons. Great resource for tech talk but clearly biased in product recommendations. I probably just woke the bear but 'll leave it at that...
You guys have no idea why he doesn't like Exile, do you? David is being fairly respectable and not throwing out their past business. He has his reasons for not liking exile. If ANYONE knows the 12v marine business, it's this guy. The people on here that "are tired of it" from David, probably aren't dealers or had to deal with Exile as a company.

As for the OP, wet sounds over Rockford. Exile doesn't fall into anything I'd recommend. Sorry for my bias, that 23 years of experience with 12v companies.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2015, 6:56 PM Reply   
Maybe someone will be doing a group buy.
Does it really affect RESALE if you have a Heinz 57 of speaker brands in your boat?
It seams like after 5 -7 years everything is outdated anyway.

Last edited by rexlex01; 08-10-2015 at 7:03 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-10-2015, 7:04 PM Reply   
Vee Drive,

I understood your question completely. As stated, match the in-boats. Since you have two perfectly good marine Rockford M262 in the bow, then go with that model for in-boats. My answer was from an acoustical perspective. If you are looking to match for ALL the speakers for the looks of it, then I guess its XS-650's throughout the in-boat. Nothing at all wrong with it, but no need to toss perfectly good gear otherwise.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2015, 7:07 PM Reply   
I also have notice that full warranty and support don't mean anything if no one answers the phone or calls back.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-11-2015, 5:13 AM Reply   
Funny most of us 12volt guys dislike a certain brand.... The fan boys are starting to fall off...

Last edited by Truekaotik; 08-11-2015 at 5:17 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-11-2015, 6:00 AM Reply   
The rockford speakers are better than their reputation. They actually sound pretty good with 75w+. They are also frequently easy to come by in the spring as take-outs when people do new systems on their brand new malibus. I like the idea of sticking with the rockfords because they give you a semi-oem look.

But also agree with true... you really NEED a sub to fill out the bottom. With well powered rev10s and well powered cabin speakers, you're all treble no bass.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-11-2015, 6:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was asking which speaker, since 1 brand would match the towers and the other brand would match the rest of the in boats.
I guess the other option would be for David to give me a great deal on 6 XS420's.
Who gives the best deal on WS anyway?
Sorry, I wish I could but I can't give you a deal on anything because I'm not "in the business" anymore, as of over two years ago. But I can refer you to a solid dealer.

Several years ago RF upgraded their marine coaxial line. It went from very poor to very good sounding. When used in some OEM systems they're not powered up to potential so you don't exactly know what you have. But when properly powered they sound good enough that I would have a tough time replacing them. Sometimes it's better to use the funds to add what you don't have instead of upgrading what you already have provided it's good quality stuff.
On the flipside, having only one pair of RF now, you can sell them easy enough if the need to match the tower with WS is the more important goal.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-11-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
Does earmark sell RF?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-11-2015, 11:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Does earmark sell RF?
I'm not sure, but check in with Odin @ Earmark Marine.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-11-2015, 5:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
But it would be easy enough to fill the holes with a bonding agent that will adhere to ABS, re-drill the pilot holes and re-tap.
Btw, Vee Drive,
To repair the stripped out holes look for a Duramix, 3M, SEM, or Evercoat 2-part body panel adhesive that will specifically bond to soft/pliable plastic. Maybe start with a paint and body supply house.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-12-2015, 5:38 AM Reply   
Are the WS650's a direct drop in size and hole spacing as the factory RF's?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-12-2015, 5:45 AM Reply   
Yes, they are