Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-12-2015, 3:40 PM Reply   
Guys Im thinking of putting in a sub before season gets realy going for me.
As many of you know I run a closed bow old school Nautique so space is a premium and exposure to salt water is an issue. I take occasional rollers over the nose and everyhthing gets wet.
I am leaning towards a powered all in one unit for the sake of cost and space. I only need a little base help. Dub step will never be played on my boat. Im old, get over it.
The system is as follows:
Fusion 500 head
PP900-4 amp
8" fosgates front
6x9 Infinities back
It actually sounds pretty damn good but with a powered sub i think i can take some load off the cockpit speakers and get the whole thing louder with a a bit of thump added.
I have looked at the bazooka stuff, JL has one thats like 1200 clams I can stuff it way up under the bow to keep it dry.
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
John
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-12-2015, 4:09 PM Reply   
John,
I'm apprehensive about the Bazooka marine 100/250 watt self-powered tubes for the following reasons.
I don't want a fixed 85 Hz lowpass.
The dual voice coil and 2-channel amplifier scheme suggests that you are getting two BTL chip amplifiers, not much more power than you get from two channels inside a HU.
I feel like the Bazooka option is perfect to supplement a HU driving four satellites but not enough to complement an external amplifier driving four satellites.
If JL Audio does it you can be sure that they do it well. But I am not aware of a JL marine powered sub. But you can easily mount a JL Audio marine amplifier to the back of a JL Audio marine fiberglass sub/enclosure and accomplish the same thing.
Don't overlook the Wetsounds marine powered subwoofer. This sounds like a great option for you.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-12-2015, 4:48 PM Reply   
Thanks David. I didnt know they had one.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-13-2015, 5:46 AM Reply   
infinity basslink sounds pretty good for what it is. It's not "marine" per se, but it's a plastic box. Prior owner of a prior boat had one and it filled out the sound quite well.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2015, 5:13 AM Reply   
It's pretty impressive for its size.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/HT_AS-10.html
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-14-2015, 5:49 AM Reply   
Thanks John and Shawn, I looked at the WS AS-10 and though very nice it doesn't leave any $$ room for the 1500 lbs of ballast i just ordered. I tripped over the Infinity yesterday on Amazon and I was really hoping somebody here had seen one and heard it play. Shawn that is kind of what i'm looking for in a review, just fill it out down low a bit to take some pressure off the cabins.
at <1/2 the price I may hose it down with Corrosion X and take a stab at it.
Thanks again guys.
John
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-14-2015, 5:56 AM Reply   
I always wait a little longer to get something with lasting value.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-14-2015, 6:48 AM Reply   
Ahhh, the dreaded voice of reason speaks with unwanted wisdom trampling the exhilarating rush of impulse buying..

I am leaving on a Winter Park Ski trip tomorrow for spring break. Maybe Ill just wait a while for the financial scabs from that to heal over and see where we stand.
Have great weekend guys and thank you so much.
John