Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-15-2015, 4:45 PM Reply   
Anyone else had shoulder surgery? I went through a reconstruction in October. How long did it take to feel back to 'normal'? Doctor said it should be 95% back to normal within 4-6 months. I'm going through physio once a week now and can't wait to get back on the water this summer. Got this cool scar though haha.
Attached Images

Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-16-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
I had my left done about 10 years ago now - have a similar scar. Mine was incredibly invasive as the capsule holding the bone into the socket was shredded, so they had to resew the whole thing back together and re-anchor it to the socket.

Mine was done in mid-May - was on the lake the day before, and was cleared to do some easy stuff behind the boat in late October.

I'd say strength wise, I was probably 80% at 5-6 months, and 100% at probably 9 months, as I didn't hit some of the strength training as well as I should have. If you're stringent about doing all the exercised, it'll come back pretty quick after the doc gives the go ahead for active PT versus just passive range of motion work.

PT can be brutal when they're getting your range of motion back, and you'll probably be really sick of the hand bike by the time you're done.

Mine's been trouble-free since recovery, and I'm only short a little range of motion in external rotation, but that was by design/byproduct of my particular surgery.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-16-2015, 1:28 PM Reply   
I had it done 25 years ago. I was 16 and thought I knew everything so I stopped going to PT. Bad idea! Make sure you follow through with the PT no matter how painful or uncomfortable it is for you. I only have about 85% range in my shoulder and probably about the same for strength compared to the other arm. I did PT last year for another issue and the therapist said that it would be nearly impossible to fix my issues with PT now because of how everything healed wrong. I am not able to do squats because my shoulder doesn't have the range to allow me to hold the bar. I regret that! Good luck man!
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-17-2015, 10:52 AM Reply   
What started the need for surgery, multiple dislocations? I just dislocated my shoulder yesterday while behind the boat. Had to deal with it for 2.5 hours until a physician could get it reset.It's the first time it happened and I just want to make all the right decisions so I won't damage anything further. I go into my orthopedic doctor thursday to find out the details.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-19-2015, 6:47 AM Reply   
For me, I was having multiple dislocations resulting from the cumulative damage of smaller injuries. I never had an initial dislocation that needed to be reduced by a doc. By the time I got to dislocations, there was enough damage that it would reduce on its own or with some small manipulation. It would even fall out the back while sleeping if my pillow was too tall, which will wake you up damn near screaming and the violent sit-up would put it back into place - not fun.

As far as need for surgery - you won't really know until the doc sees you, and likely gets an MRI done. A single dislocation like you had can be enough to cause damage that requires surgery, or you may just need some rest and/or PT.
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-20-2015, 4:03 PM Reply   
I have had rotator cuff problems for years due to snowboard and wakeboard injuries and never went to PT. At the beginning of 2014 I dislocated my shoulder for the first time and it happened another 3 times within a 6 month period. I got an MRI and the doc said \mMy shoulder was actually fractured and a piece of bone was chipping when it was dislocating. The surgeon got me in by October 6th 2014.

If this is the first time dislocating your shoulder I would recommend seeing a professional and do your stretched and exercises. This is very important if you want to get back on the water and riding normally. Know when to take a break.

Can't wait to get back on the water.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-20-2015, 8:49 PM Reply   
Had rotator cuff, labrum anchors, multiple clean outs, and a couple capsular releases, all on the same shoulder. We finally decided to just do a shoulder replacement 10 months ago. I'm about as good as I'll ever be. At only 36 y/o, I can never do anything physical again beyond light workouts for the rest of my life. I've had a lot of joints reconstructed, but the shoulder is by far the worst when it comes to regaining range of motion. It would be my exp/advice to take it slow, but my case was far from normal.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-28-2015, 11:54 AM Reply   
Well had an MRI and got back to my doctor. I have a Tear to the labrum. My doctor advised either the bankart repair surgery that would pretty much prevent another shoulder dislocation or I can go the non-invasive route of rest and physical therapy but, I would most likely dislocate it again.

If anyone has dislocated their shoulder, which route would you go? surgery or just PT? I really don't want to dislocate it again because it straight up sucked but I'm also trying to start a fire academy so I need it fixed right!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-28-2015, 12:02 PM Reply   
shoulders are weird joints. no other joint in your body has the range of motion and lifting power a shoulder does. Not to be f'd with when injured. I separated mine (3rd degree) a year ago next month and its still bothering me. Although I regularly overdo it trying to get back in the swing of things. golf, weights, boat pull, etc. I was on the cusp of needing surgery and almost wish I would've done it. If you opt not to, serious PT (like 4x/week) is your best bet along with stretching it daily to keep scar tissue under control. Even then, it will never be the same and you'll have to watch it to keep it from popping out. Fire academy doesn't sound like you'll be in a position to go easy on it. If you can strengthen the muscles and tendons around the problem area, you will be ok.

Sleeper stretch is one recommended by my ortho

Last edited by denverd1; 01-28-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old     (Epic21v)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-28-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
I did the same exact thing as you did. The doctor told me if I didn't have surgery There's a 90-95% chance I'd dislocate it again and with the surgery I was looking at 5-10%. Had the surgery done in in the beginning of July 2013 was surfing towards the end of August was back carving around on my board in October. Was cleared to do everything in December. I was at full streghth towards the end of January/ early February. It was a lot of work going to therapy 3 times a week but I've had no problems since and was riding all last summer. Getting the surgery done has been one of the the best decision I've ever made.