Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-20-2015, 11:43 AM Reply   
Hey Everyone,

I am trying to get back into the wakeboard game and I feel like I would like a fresh start.

I am 5'11 200 lbs, riding behind Mb F21 Tomcat at 60 ft line and riding a 2013 140 Marek Nova...AMAZING board, but I feel like i'm either sinking it a bit and/or its a bit beyond my capabilities.. Maybe i just really really suck but I would like something a touch more forgiving.

I want to progress and improve my bag of tricks :

w2w heelside, 180s, 3/4 w2w toeside consistantly.

I am contemplating a larger board...maybe one that's not AS fast but not a slug like my 2011 Forefront.

I was contemplating the 143 Humanoid Oracle, 142 Hyperlite Murray or 142 Hyperlite Tribute.

If anyone can give experiences from these board... I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-20-2015, 1:11 PM Reply   
I'm not really sure what board will be best for you, but I will say that the people at Humanoid are awesome and that you should give them a try if they have something that fits your style!
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       01-20-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
I can only comment on the Murray.

Took it out for one set on a demo day, loved every minute of it & Prolly will be my next board. I really liked the subtle 3 stage, still plenty of pop but really consistent ( I didn't feel like I was trying to time the pop, it was just there). It seems like a great board for taking that next step in your progression. Edges were fun to carve around on and I didn't get that locked in feeling like on a Ronix One or Byerly Assault.

Quickly looking at the Tribute I can see why you're considering that one and unfortunately have zero experience with humanoid boards.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-20-2015, 2:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys! All feedback is good feedback
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-20-2015, 3:28 PM Reply   
I have never been on the oracle but I have owned the tribute and current marek and have also rode the current Murray board. Definitely don't be afraid of going with a bigger board. I'm 6'1" and between 190 and 200 for reference and when I rode with Murray at Hyperlite experience he told me not to go any smaller than his 142. Now you could go a little smaller with a real wide board like the marek, but you're better off going bigger. For example, Dean Smith is as short or shorter than Murray and he rides a 143. As far as the boards go, it depends what you like in a board. Both the murray and tribute will be more forgiving than the marek although I have yet to ride anything that pops as good as the marek. The tribute is looser and more of a freeride feeling board than the murray. The murray is really responsive edge to edge. I'd say the murray and tribute pop very similarly with the landings being a little softer on the tribute because of the big spine. I probably like the tribute the best out of the three but one thing you have to watch for is where the fin channels exit the tips is a real sharp small point that if you ding the end of the board on the floor or something they tend to chip easy.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-20-2015, 5:53 PM Reply   
Have ridden the oracle since day one. Love this board. Just ordered my third one. The board is loose when you need it but locks in when you put it on edge. Also has just the right amount of flex to make landing in the flats easy on the knees. Get the 143.

Last edited by cocheese; 01-20-2015 at 5:55 PM.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-21-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_mi View Post
I have never been on the oracle but I have owned the tribute and current marek and have also rode the current Murray board. Definitely don't be afraid of going with a bigger board. I'm 6'1" and between 190 and 200 for reference and when I rode with Murray at Hyperlite experience he told me not to go any smaller than his 142. Now you could go a little smaller with a real wide board like the marek, but you're better off going bigger. For example, Dean Smith is as short or shorter than Murray and he rides a 143. As far as the boards go, it depends what you like in a board. Both the murray and tribute will be more forgiving than the marek although I have yet to ride anything that pops as good as the marek. The tribute is looser and more of a freeride feeling board than the murray. The murray is really responsive edge to edge. I'd say the murray and tribute pop very similarly with the landings being a little softer on the tribute because of the big spine. I probably like the tribute the best out of the three but one thing you have to watch for is where the fin channels exit the tips is a real sharp small point that if you ding the end of the board on the floor or something they tend to chip easy.
Do you ride the 145 Marek?

I'm guessing your bag of tricks is pretty deep.. Just getting a feel for comparable skill
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-21-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese View Post
Have ridden the oracle since day one. Love this board. Just ordered my third one. The board is loose when you need it but locks in when you put it on edge. Also has just the right amount of flex to make landing in the flats easy on the knees. Get the 143.
What skill level are you if you don't mind me asking?
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-22-2015, 9:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeko View Post
Do you ride the 145 Marek?

I'm guessing your bag of tricks is pretty deep.. Just getting a feel for comparable skill
My bag of tricks is about as deep as a ziplock sandwich bag. HS and TS w2w with multiple grabs, hs backrolls, and hs fs 360s. I can do 180s but my switch riding is horrible. I was on the 145 marek. I got a real good deal on it and rode it for a while. The pop is amazing but it is pretty locked in. I like a looser board. I got to ride the Murray board at Hyperlite experience last year with Murray. I bought the tribute a couple years ago but they haven't changed the shape. Right now I'm riding a Webb 144 which is a lot of fun but it definitely does not have the snap off the wake that a real boat board does. I'm waiting for his new boat board to come out and I'll be snagging one of those.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       01-22-2015, 9:58 AM Reply   
thanks for the info man!
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-22-2015, 11:12 AM Reply   
My skill level is pretty much the same as yours. Heel and toe 360, heel backroll and tantrums. I ride behind our 2013 Supra 21v at 70' most of the time. My first oracle was purchased late in 2010 and it was a 137. I am 6' 200ish and read on all the forums that smaller boards have less swing weight and spin much easier. This was true but I was disappointed in the pop i was getting. I bought another in 2011 and went with the 143 and gave the 137 to my wife. Feel in love with the 143 and bought 2 more in 2012 while they were on sale at the end of the season. I recently purchased the 2015 in the toys for tots auction. I haven't ridden another board since 2010 so my only comparison is from models prior to 2010. Rode the CWB Absolute, Hyperlite Tribute and then CWB Transcend. None of them ride like the Oracle.