Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       11-13-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
Anyone still boarding the river in the Sacramento area? I recently got married and my last couple months were busy and I couldn't get out. Just wondering if its too cold.
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       11-13-2014, 11:27 AM Reply   
I wasn't in the Sac river, but was in the Delta last weekend. Lets just say there was some shrinkage going on!
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       11-13-2014, 5:50 PM Reply   
Anyone board near miller park?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-13-2014, 9:13 PM Reply   
^^^ Good luck with that. Only if you want your car broken into while you're boarding........ Two different times. Three months apart..... Discovery isn't much better. Ask me how I know.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-13-2014, 9:16 PM Reply   
Oh and water temp was 65 last week. Probably a tad lower now. Heater top is plenty IMO.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-13-2014, 10:21 PM Reply   
Last Sunday we were out from walnut grove to freeport fishermen said 62...and they know. Good thing it was 80 out but my two friends did use wetsuits and only got chilly at the end of the session each of them left them on and went twice. I was toasty in my drysuit. Its probably 61 now. The was not a wakeboarder or wakesurfer to be seen. We were barefooting through the logs sticks bottles cans lumber etc.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-14-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
any of u guys going out this weekend and could use an extra body? i havent been able to get out there the past few weekends cuz my usual crew thinks its too cold. id love to get one or two more rides in at least this year.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-14-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
We launched at Discovery last Sunday. Wore a shorty and it was fine but it was 80 air. Haven't had any issues with break ins at Discovery yet but I only go there Fall through Spring when Folsom is 5mph. I think it's better to launch there than Miller Park. There's more people around at Discovery most of the time. More fisherman seem to launch there so you have a few more eyes. At Miller, you might be the only truck in the parking lot.
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-14-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
also havent had any problems at disco. launch there usually 3 times a month during the warmer months for years now. u have me a bit worried now though.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       11-14-2014, 6:09 PM Reply   
In the start of the summer I launched at disco and my boat hit something on the underside right by the dock, I assumed because the water was low, but other boats bigger than mine were launching. I launched at miller park all summer and (knock on wood) never had any problems, although I've heard stories about people getting their trucks broken into. I just like miller because the ramp is bigger. Was thinking of going out this weekend but I accidentally ran my boat for about 5 minutes today without turning the hose back on. No damage that I can tell, but I'm assuming I'll have to replace my impeller.... SMH
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-14-2014, 7:26 PM Reply   
I've used Discovery, Broderick, Miller Park, Garcia Bend, Clarksburg...the only place I ever had a problem was Discovery when a guy with a borrowed wakeboat slid down the ramp hitting my truck head on as I was launching total dipship loser.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-16-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
The problem with Miller and Discovery is the bum/addict population that reside near or at those places. If you go up to Elkhorn or down to Garcia, you don't really have those people.
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       11-16-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
The problem with Miller and Discovery is the bum/addict population that reside near or at those places. If you go up to Elkhorn or down to Garcia, you don't really have those people.
I was hesitant to use elkhorn this summer because I saw a trailer drop what seemed like a foot off the concrete ramp because the water was too low. I was worried about getting stuck trying to retrieve the boat.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-16-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
Yeah that can happen sometimes depending on the tide. It's not always a problem though. Hopefully we get enough rain and that won't even be a concern next year.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       11-26-2014, 10:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy1717 View Post
Anyone still boarding the river in the Sacramento area? I recently got married and my last couple months were busy and I couldn't get out. Just wondering if its too cold.
Still going out. Launch out of Orwood. Never any issues. 4/3 wetsuit and snug as a bug in a rug, so far. Current water temp at vic (http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/q...?s=vic&d=today) is 57 and continues to drop. I hope to make it year round without a dry suit.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-01-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
Wait til it hits 45 then let's talk
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-03-2014, 12:09 PM Reply   
A good 4/3 suit with sealed seams, wetsuit booties, gloves and a beanie can keep you riding when the water hits 45. I think the lowest we have been on the delta was 38-39 water The wind chill is what will get you along with overcast skies.
Old     (GoneBoatN)      Join Date: Jun 2014       12-03-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
A good 4/3 suit with sealed seams, wet suit booties, gloves and a beanie can keep you riding when the water hits 45. I think the lowest we have been on the delta was 38-39 water The wind chill is what will get you along with overcast skies.
The problem with gloves and wakeboarding is that you end up having to squeeze the handle so much more to keep the handle from slipping out of your hands. The thicker the gloves the worse it is. I've been using golf gloves. Keeps the wind off your hands but so thin it is almost like not wearing any gloves.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-03-2014, 7:22 PM Reply   
O'Neill 1.5mm Psycho gloves . Gives you enough warmth but still allows you to feel the handle and get a good grip. I would recomend getting a handle with a thinner diameter bar though, that will defiantly help with any glove situation.

Old     (Engineer)      Join Date: Nov 2014       12-04-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Hey guys can you please do me a favor and take this survey about wakeboard winches. I need 300 responses and only have 8. Thanks have a nice day!
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NKQK9HQ
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-31-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
Water is 50 at Vics
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-06-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
Grayson, Winching survey? Go away with this survey. I am surprised David hasn't stopped your from trolling this link.