Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-09-2014, 2:39 PM Reply   
Alright, I've been riding system bindings/boots for about 2-ish years (I think).. The only system boots that I've had were the 2012 Mareks, and the 2014 Mareks. I'm starting to really regret jumping on the system bandwagon when they first came out because their quality is terrible! The only reason that I still own them is because the warranty on the boots lets me get a new pair whenever they are damaged. I rode the 2012s for about a full season.. they held up, but were beat up and looked like ****. Then, the first set of the next season the entire sole of the boot ripped off after I fell. I went to my local board shop and got the 2014 mareks… they lasted about 2 months before they fell apart, so I got a new pair, and sure enough they only lasted about 3 months before they looked like this ( I'll post pictures below this post) The bindings are **** too.. I've been fully ejected out of my systems multiple times, and the straps always get stripped and/or broken.

Even though they are not durable AT ALL, they still work really good and have the best foot/ankle support out of any boots I've tried… but I don't think that makes up for the initial cost of the boot/binding combo, or the trouble of having to get a new pair every 2 months. I'm just glad that I finally picked up a Liquidforce sponsorship for next year and I don't have to deal with the systems set up anymore!
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-09-2014, 2:57 PM Reply   
Here's the 2014 Mareks after a couple months
Attached Images

Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       11-09-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
I've never really had issues with my systems beyond little things. I've had 2012 bindings with the Marek boots, 2013 bindings with the Webb Boots, and now I ride the Byerly system setup. The setups aren't bomb-proof, no boots are. The system setups just see different wear and tear than other boots because they're not like other boots. I had the liner of my Mareks fall apart after a season and Hype replaced them quickly. I jumped onto the Webb boots because I wanted a little more flex and went two seasons with absolutely no issues. I just got my Byerly setup last week and got to take a few sets with them and so far they're awesome. I love the new bindings and the Byerly boots are solid so far.

As far as the bindings go, you want to eject on hard falls. Most bindings nowadays are designed to allow this. And as with snowboard bindings also, ladders strip and break all the time. There is no plastic that will flex to fit your boot but not strip as time goes on. I wouldn't say they're bad, I'd say they're just about exactly what's expected.
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       11-09-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
Yeah I was wondering if it was just the Marek boots or not because they're the only system boots that I've tried.. and the warrantee is pretty great, just time consuming. I don't think that my boot/binding setup was the worst in the market at all, they're really nice when they work, but I just want to see a little more durability out of them. Before the systems I had the LF Shane's and they have the same amount of wear and tear after 5 years as the Mareks did after 2 months.
Old     (Benji91)      Join Date: Nov 2014       12-03-2014, 11:06 AM Reply   
I've seen this happen before, my LF Harley's are solid apart from a slightly bent base plate. I've had a lot of ronix and hyperlite stuff go like this, there not really broken. It there just tatty !! Hopefully this will improve this year. All the new stuff looks pretty good, you should send this review site an email. They'd be more than happy to out this in a product review just to make others aware of some of the short falls. www.boarder-control.co.uk I think the email is at the bottom of the ribbon on the site.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-04-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
First of all, no offense to the OP but the boots pictured are definitely 2013s not '14s.

The boots got a complete overhaul in '14 (made with new lasts and materials) and while they mine (also Mareks) definitely have had some scuffs and whatnot on them, they still are structurally great and perform just as good as the first day i've used them.

I've had system boots and bindings since the first year they came out and yes, there is some cosmetic wear on the boots after a while but they still perform just fine, even after the first year (which in my experience I cannot say for any other company's traditional boots, for me they all got soft and turn into mashed potatoes after a few months). I still wear my 2012 murray boots every now and then and they still perform great.

I understand those who shell out the coin for top of the line boots would want them to be aesthetically perfect after the first year or so, but lets not kid ourselves, no bindings these days will be if you ride them frequently enough. But I have found that my systems are much more durable than just about any other bindings I have used over the years.

Yes the ladder straps need replacing after a while, but with my '14's i have not needed to replace them at all this year. And i ride at a fairly high level ~4-5x per week. The systems can definitely take some major abuse. I wouldn't trade my systems for any other binding set up out there. To each their own.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-04-2014, 11:35 AM Reply   
I've been out of the sport for a few years, but still ride occasionally. But this topic brings me back to something that we've been saying for years...

Wake companies don't make product for core riders (I used to say 'like us'). They make product for the masses. Those of us that ride 3-4 days a week, sink our boats, and camp 3-4, 7 times a year will abuse all products for the most part. They don't make bindings bulletproof like the old days (i.e LF Super Suckers, Old Hyperlite Belmonts), cuz the vast majority don't need it for their one 2 min set with no ballast in crappy water.

That's why they have lifetime warranty's. Those that need it use it.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-04-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
A good set of boots last about a season if you ride alot/hard. I've never had a pair of any manufacturer last longer. I'll put in a solid 100-150 days a year though.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-04-2014, 7:42 PM Reply   
Harley LF gear has alway given my crew problems. We have gone through 3 boards and 4 bindings in 2 years, we ride once a week for 4 months. Its a shame because I really do love riding his board but it got too annoying.

I have a pair of the 2012 (i think) hyperlite system bindings, the AJ ones. I did have a minor set back when the clip broke but hyperlite sent me some hardware free of charge by the next time i was going to ride --> this alone will make me support hyperlite even more, they will for sure be the company in which i buy my new gear from. I have not had any other issue with the binding, I have had my boot come out of the binding tho which can get annoying putting it back in while still in the water or having to go back on the boat. The boot itself is fine, holding up well so far. My only complaint is that I wear a size 10 in every single shoe, sometimes 9.5 and these feel quite snug. they havent really loosened up by the toes like other bindings i have owned. other than that they are great!
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-04-2014, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji91 View Post
I've seen this happen before, my LF Harley's are solid apart from a slightly bent base plate.
that has happened on every single harley boot i have had why does it happen? laces get caught in there, the board feels less responsive it is very annoying i hope they fix that