Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-04-2015, 4:43 AM Reply   
Bringing home my new (leftover 14') 230 tomorrow and would like if you fellas and/or ladies could provide me with a couple surf configurations to use...

Here is the makeup of the 230 and typical body/people load I will have this weekend:

Stock plus Pro Ballast 400's per side

Son - 60lbs
Son - 50lbs
Daughter - 50lbs
Daughter - 120lbs
Me - 230lbs (leave me alone I'm 6'1)
Wife - standard weight (I'm not dumb enough to list it...well trained)
Buddy - 190 to 210 (obviously one of us in the water)

Where should the kids be, ballast, NSS, speed & Other settings.

It would be awesome if I could get 2-3 options. And any input on what to adjust for Goofy - just switch NSS?

Thanks!
Old     (LipSnapWakesurfBoards)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-04-2015, 7:00 PM Reply   
I have a 2014 SAN230 with NSS with 750's instead of the 400's. With factory pro-ballast configuration the wake is very nice. With the 750's it is awesome! Our regular crew all normally ride at 10.9mph, full ballast, NSS of 1 or 2, and hydrogate at 1 to 2. And have the people sitting biasing the surf side. We increase the hydrogate setting when there is more people in the boat. Running at a slower speed will increase the wake size. I don't think you will be disappointed at all. We can also ride and recover far back. Having boards that perform will make the wake more enjoyable yet,

For your situation, Full ballast, 2/3 of people weight in the back on the surf side and the 1/3 on the other side. You might want to bump up the NSS to 2-3 with only the pro-ballast. You will want to play with the hydrogate setting. Lower setting will increase the height, shorten the pocket and probably get a bit of a rooster tail from the swim platform. The higher the setting, the wake height will shorten, pocket will lengthen, and the initial lip of the wake will clean up. We use number of fingers to indicate to driver what to set that too. Slower speed will increase the wake height, but also shorten the pocket, With lower speeds, increase the hydrogate. As for goofy, switch the NSS and swap the peeps.

Enjoy your weekend!
LipSnap Wakesurf Boards
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-05-2015, 8:34 AM Reply   
Awesome!
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-05-2015, 8:40 AM Reply   
So last night we went out and my buddy surfed (goofy) saved his profile, good to go. Me (230lbs) on a Hyperlite Broadcast, no dice as in can't throw the rope in. It's clearly me and not the boat. I believe I am shifting, adjusting too much and not being patient with small adjustment.
Old    BamaMojo            09-05-2015, 2:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthall View Post
So last night we went out and my buddy surfed (goofy) saved his profile, good to go. Me (230lbs) on a Hyperlite Broadcast, no dice as in can't throw the rope in. It's clearly me and not the boat. I believe I am shifting, adjusting too much and not being patient with small adjustment.

It's that board too. You will need a faster board at your weight, I am the same weight.
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-05-2015, 8:34 PM Reply   
What do you recommend?
Old     (LipSnapWakesurfBoards)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-05-2015, 9:12 PM Reply   
Three things for beginners to do: 1) subtle movements. Start with weight on your back and slowly apply weight to your front foot. 2) Pull in some rope too get in front of the wake. This will keep you from falling back and up the wake and then shooting forward. 3) Weight on your front toes and maybe position your front foot so your toes are closer to edge of the board. This keeps you riding on the side of the wake instead of away from it.

The board will make a big difference as Jerald mentioned. Most mass produced boards are going to be slow. The first question is skim or surf style? For surf style boards we have the Carve model that would fit your size.

Gary
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-06-2015, 8:46 AM Reply   
Not sure how to answer that. I guess I am 6'1" and 230lbs and would like a board you can cruise on and slowly learn the movements and reactions. That way when people want to just hangout in the surf and drink a "coke" they can.
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-06-2015, 9:00 AM Reply   
The easiest way then is what is the fastest and biggest board that will hold my fat @ss and also allow anyone else to enjoy/ride?

I keep seeing the Inland Surfer Red Rocket as the top option here.
Old    BamaMojo            09-17-2015, 4:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthall View Post
The easiest way then is what is the fastest and biggest board that will hold my fat @ss and also allow anyone else to enjoy/ride?

I keep seeing the Inland Surfer Red Rocket as the top option here.

Gary recomendation is a great option. I ride a P5 model X. When I upgraded to a faster board it all came together for me. There are many good options out there. I still enjoy my board but I am thinking of a Doomswell so I may be selling my board soon.
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-17-2015, 6:00 AM Reply   
Just bought a IS Swallow and IS Blue Lake...we are off and running.

Only thing now is trying to figure out how to lengthen the wave so I am not surfing 2ft from the platform. May need to upgrade the pro ballast to 750's and add 400 to the bow in the off season
Old     (LipSnapWakesurfBoards)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-21-2015, 5:27 PM Reply   
Here is a random pic of the wave on that boat with 750's, driver plus one or two in the boat, NSS of 1, hydrogate at 1.75 to 2, 10.9mph . We can ride further back that that picture shows.
What speed are you riding at?
Attached Images

Old    BamaMojo            09-24-2015, 6:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LipSnapWakesurfBoards View Post
Here is a random pic of the wave on that boat with 750's, driver plus one or two in the boat, NSS of 1, hydrogate at 1.75 to 2, 10.9mph . We can ride further back that that picture shows.

What speed are you riding at?

Nice
Old     (xcz504d)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-28-2015, 10:48 PM Reply   
Hopefully I can help! I have a 2014 Nautique with pro wake ballast, I surf with different levels from not being able to throw the rope to people who have been riding 5+ years and behind many different boats. Also, I have had many different boards, both skim style and surf style behind my boat, I personally prefer the IS flyboy, but mostly ride a sweetspot (goofy).

The goofy (starboard, where all stars ride) wave has a weird two stage lip sometimes that we don't see on the regular side, this mainly affects you when you are aggressive on the top of the wake, it can seriously grab the nos of the board. That doesn't seem like a problem for you though, just keep that in mind, the usual fix is to give a very slight lean to the boat to wash that double lip out, either with people, or drain some port ballast.

Stock ballast and your people weight in the boat, I recommend 10.7mph, wedge all the way back (1), and NSS of 3 for surf, or 1-2 for skim, skim boards slide down the face of a steeper wake more easily without generating power if you are fairly new.

I can tell you for certain, if you are staying 2 feet off the platform, you are not surfing that wake, no matter where people are sitting, you are being dragged by the wake coming off the hull and have the right board angle to be ok with it.

So, your 230 throws 2 wash lines, one is the obvious white wash outside the boat, and the other is a subtle white line off the back platform corner. Stay between those two lines, and on the bottom 30% of the wake, the push and power is all low on the wave, I see riders drift up top and fall back too often, and if they simply do a minor turn down the face of the wave, to stay between the two lines and low on the wave, they would easily recover.

When you find yourself in an extreme, point your front hip to the opposite side of the boat, it immediately causes your front foot to have more pressure, and more toe side edge, and it is a slight adjustment, instead of the violent jerking (read baby deer on ice) reaction most people have, also, getting low over your front foot doing this can seem more stable.

Now, surf lessons aside, weight the boat evenly (unless you have a weird lip problem like above), and the more weight in the back the better, two people sitting on the back (feet on swim platform) will give that wave more than you will need. If you want it steeper, move someone to the opposite side of the surf wake, more mellow, to the same side.

10.7mph, Wedge all the way up (1), NSS 3, everyone on the back seat evenly, nobody on the bow, you should have zero problems, more weight on the stern and the boat will grace you with a better wave, and you can increase your speed for more push.
Old     (stealthall)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-30-2015, 7:59 PM Reply   
Sweet info. Now just need the rain and storms to stop!

In the off season I am going to move to 750's in the rear and perhaps a 450 ish in the bow.
Old     (xcz504d)      Join Date: Jul 2015       10-01-2015, 5:41 PM Reply   
I'm ordering custom bags for my back lockers so I can keep the storage trays and get more weight, the bags will be about 630 pounds. I have found that my 230 loves weight on the stern, putting bow weight robs the push of the wave pretty quickly. I would personally just play with the wedge settings before adding weight to the bow.

With more weight, when you upgrade to those 750's, kick the boat speed up to 11.4-11.7