Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-27-2017, 1:28 PM Reply   
01 vlx with 1500 lbs of ballast
surf shaper

6' 225lbs intermediate rider

Had a slingshot Gnarwhal that would not go ropeless for more than 10 seconds.

Should I go nubstep or neo? or is there something else out there I am missing???

looking for hybrid/surf style

Thanks

Last edited by jmanst15; 06-27-2017 at 1:29 PM. Reason: mistake
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2017, 1:45 PM Reply   
boards are fairly similar. what's your wave look like? pics. weighted evenly port to starboard? front and back? buying another board likely won't fix it
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-27-2017, 1:54 PM Reply   
no pics yet...

evenly weighted. 900 back 500 mid. Wave looks big and clean (to me). Have seen plenty of videos with smaller waves and people surfing them.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2017, 2:09 PM Reply   
love my nubstep. versatile board. I think I rode a neo for a few minutes Micah brought out a few boards. He and Brock are awesome, not sure about their dealers out there yet but they'll hook it up.

I would put more weight in the bow and try draining all or some of your opposite bag. Some boats are better weighted evenly, mine's gotta be listed. you need more weight tho, so maybe start with everything full then add another bag on top of your surf side 450.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-27-2017, 6:32 PM Reply   
Not sure how helpful this is but we just bought one of each
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-27-2017, 7:11 PM Reply   
Boards are not all similar, maybe once you get into a true surf style board them become more similar in some ways.... Doomswell is true surf style board and much thicker than most non-custom boards. They are fast buoyant boards in my experience. I started as a beginner on a Liquid Force skim style board but found it hard to stay in wave cause it did not support my 205lbs well and I was a noob, so I did not know how to carve and pump to stay in the pocket. I got a Doomswell Neo and it made a huge difference due to buoyancy and design...once I got better, I could easily surf my original skim style from one end of lake to the other. It takes some experience and time tho

Neo and Nubstep are almost identical...except the Nubstep is pointed at front and the Neo is cut flat at front so you can ride it reverse a little easier and its maybe a little more aggressive board in my humble opinion cause you can dig the front edge easier. Either would do find for you. 4' 8" Neo is my primary board and I love it but I have ridden a Nubstep and honestly cannot tell much of a difference, they feel the same to me. Go with 4' 8"...or 4' 10" for your weight. Doomswell does not have a "hybrid" board, I don't know why they call it that by you would think that hybrid means its half surf...half skim and that is not at all the case. Maybe they say hybrid for some other reason, but can assure you, its as thick as any surf style board out there and its as far from skim as it gets. Doomswell is probably the best board you will get for the money....other boards similar quality are more expensive...tough to spend that much unless you can demo and know you will love it.

I have seen plenty of "good looking waves" that are crap cause they have zero push, its just a mound of water basically (if you are not getting a curl, or some kind of sharper lip....there is no "push". Sounds to me like you do not have enough ballast but then again, I don't know how the hull was shaped on the early style VLX, if its not a deep V hull, its not gonna be great for surfing unless you slam it with ballast and 1500lbs will not be enough, especially if only 900 is in rear. The flip side of that is you can have a small wave with great push and surf it for hours, looks are very deceiving on tow boat waves.

If that is what you are working with and dont have the option to add weight...play with it. Pull all weight to rear, more to center, etc. You may even want to slightly list to the side you are surfing, even with a suck gate...I have seen that make a difference with the push.
Old     (BLucas86)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-28-2017, 7:37 AM Reply   
My wife and I each ride Neo's. We love them! we have a 5' Nubstep on deck for the bigger folks in our crew and it has been a solid board for those needing the extra volume. I still prefer the Neo over the Nub, for the blunt nose and softer rail.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       06-28-2017, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanst15 View Post
01 vlx with 1500 lbs of ballast
surf shaper

6' 225lbs intermediate rider

Had a slingshot Gnarwhal that would not go ropeless for more than 10 seconds.

Should I go nubstep or neo? or is there something else out there I am missing???

looking for hybrid/surf style

Thanks
Do you have photos of the wave? I have 04 vlx with diy suck gate, it does a great wake. I wonder if its the wave not the board.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       06-28-2017, 8:14 AM Reply   
Sorry forgot the pics. I think they are on chaos boards too. Just 300 lb fat sats in rear each filled, then 1100 in the floor, then 400 in the bow and me and one other person in boat. Crazy is the regular side was way better wave. I was always under the impression Malibu did best the goofy side.
Attached Images

Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-28-2017, 10:26 AM Reply   
Here is my Doomswell Neo
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       06-28-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
Forgot pic, lol. I use a Nauticurl suckgate too....but have a ton of ballast. 4400 of water and sometimes add another 500lbs of lead to bow depending on conditions
Attached Images

Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2017, 12:04 AM Reply   
Thank you to all for the input. Pulled the trigger on a 4'10 Neo Blem. Hope to have so pics soon!