Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       05-27-2015, 10:58 PM Reply   
I need your opinions on two used boats I'm looking at purchasing.

I will be using the boat for about 50% surfing, 30% wake boarding, and 20% everything else so surf wake and wakeboard wake are a priority. My price range is in the 25k to 35k range.

Boat 1-
2006 Tige 24ve
6.0L - 380 Hp engine with 250 hours, Tige speedset (that works), manual ballast system with a 750 lb and 450 lb bag (I would put in a proper automatic ballast system later), interior is ok, a few scuffs and minor tears here and there, maybe 4 tears in total and the interior could use some TLC, some scuffs on the hull, 8 hr drive away
Asking 37-38k canadian.

Boat 2-
2007 Centurion Avalanche C4
343 HP black scorpion engine with around 200 hours, GPS perfect pass, 3200 lbs built in ballast in 4 bags, interior is very good with no rips or tears except some minor stress cracking in the gelcoat around the base of the tower on one side due to a loose bolt, Hull is in good shape, 3.5 hr drive away
Asking 40K canadian

Breaking it down it seems to be a split. I think the Tige has the better hull, they apparently throw out a great surf wake and a clean wakeboard wake, TAPS is nice too. The Avalanche also throws a good surf wake, but I've heard reports that the wakeboard wake can be a little tricky to clean up. Plus I love the look of the VE hull. Im not sure about that cooler in the walkway in the centurion, and I'm not a fan with the swim platform on the centurion either. Winner = Tige.

Engine. The 6.0 has a ton of power and is supposed to be pretty easy on the gas. Not really sure about the black scorpion, I need to do some more research. Winner= Tige??

Cruise control. Perfect pass all the way. Winner= Centurion by a mile.

Ballast. The Tige's are supposed to be really good with the ballast system installed, but the centurion already has it. Tige has a larger dry weight by a small margin, but it is also a 24 footer. Winner = Centurion

Interior and hull. Tige needs some TLC. Centurion is in very good shape, plus it has snap out carpet (I believe). Winner = Centurion.

The centurion is closer, so less of a drive for me, thats kind of nice as well.

What do you guys think?? What would you go with? For those of you with the avalanche, how hard is it to tune your wakeboard wake? Is there anything I'm missing?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-28-2015, 7:06 AM Reply   
ask the guys at Tige owners they are brutally honest over there good luck. Think you will be getting a MUCH bigger boat with the 24V thats the one thing I hate about my old school xstar would love to have a much larger boat.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-28-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
If the Centurion has a walkthrough transom then it's NOT a C4.
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       05-28-2015, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
If the Centurion has a walkthrough transom then it's NOT a C4.
it has the wrap around seating and no walkthrough transom.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-28-2015, 2:16 PM Reply   
The Ve, whether 22 or 24, will put out an awesome surf wave. That boat like 1200+ on the surf side aft and bow weight is flavor to taste. Given that this 06 Ve does NOT have the factory ballast, you are way ahead of the game. Its a very straight forward job to install custom surf sacs and plumb them in on that boat. Its a huge mod to deal with the factory ballast, in order to install a suitable surf sac.

Great riding and handling boat, lots of room and storage. I always liked how tall the tower was, plenty of room for speakers.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       05-28-2015, 3:26 PM Reply   
I agree with TigeMike!

THe Tige will be a better choice IMO. The mid 200x centurions..were well.... very cheaply adorned... The Tige will have a much better resale!