Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-06-2014, 5:09 PM Reply   
So occasionally I dream about where I would live when I retire. I'm probably 15 to 20 years out from retirement, so yeah, it's a LONG ways away. But still fun to think about.

Currently I live in Vancouver WA. It's 15 minutes to the river for boating. It's 1:30 to 1:45 to get to my local ski area for snowboarding. My house is worth about $240k (3 bedroom, 1800 sq ft, 3 car garage). I can't imagine I'd have the means for a 'nicer' place when retired than I have now while working.

The "dream" for retirement would be to have something where I could be waterfront with a dock for my boat and be within 30 to 45 minutes of a good ski resort and have a affordable cost of living and hot summers with great snow at the mountain for the winter.

I've found that I could pull this off in Eastern Washington, right on the Idaho border (in WA because no income tax). I could be on the Coeur d'Alene river, near the lake too. I would ride at Schweitzer.

Beyond that, I've contemplated places like SLC and Ogden UT, Carson City NV, near Sun Valley ID... Hell, even Jackson WY or some of the cities near Denver.

It's pretty easy to get info on the good ski resorts, but not so easy on the rest of the stuff.

I've basically lived in the Pacific NW all my life. so I really see myself sticking to the Western part of the USA, but I guess I can't rule anything out.

So what are some of your thoughts?
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       11-07-2014, 2:52 AM Reply   
What makes you think you will even want to boat and snowboard in 20 years ? Just as likely you will be living in Florida near a golf course. Enjoy what you have now the time goes by faster than you think.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-07-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
I'm 59, live in florida, and I wakeboard 4 times a week. I also went snowboarding earlier this year. No plans to retire from either.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
What makes you think you will even want to boat and snowboard in 20 years ? Just as likely you will be living in Florida near a golf course. Enjoy what you have now the time goes by faster than you think.
Well, I can pretty confidently say that I'll still have no interest in golf in 15 to 20 years.

My wife turns 50 next month. What's wrong with thinking and dreaming about retirement a little? We've both got jobs that we'll work at until retirement and have no reason to move from our house until then.

So thinking about these kind of places is something that's reserved until we're done working. And yes, I most certainly believe I'll be snowboarding, wakeboarding and surfing well into my 60's.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
I can't even think of one "on the water property, with a dock" in Utah.... There might be one, but I am not sure where..... Maybe Bear Lake, but the water level fluctuates so much, that may not even work.... Add, that property would be VERY expensive.

That said, could live off the water, be a few minutes from the water and World Class ski resorts.

So Utah, HOT SUMMERS, GREAT skiing/snowboarding, tough/impossible to get housing on the water at that price range. If you gave up the on the water, doable here.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
I can't even think of one "on the water property, with a dock" in Utah.... There might be one, but I am not sure where..... Maybe Bear Lake, but the water level fluctuates so much, that may not even work.... Add, that property would be VERY expensive.

That said, could live off the water, be a few minutes from the water and World Class ski resorts.

So Utah, HOT SUMMERS, GREAT skiing/snowboarding, tough/impossible to get housing on the water at that price range. If you gave up the on the water, doable here.
Ya know, it would probably be fine to compromise and live off the water. And my wife and I currently have season tickets to Broadway Across America, and SLC is one of the cities that has it, so that would be cool. (we like to have some arts and culture in our lives).

I guess as long as I had a house with enough garage space and/or covered RV parking, it wouldn't be a big deal.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
Best case scenario, buy a nice piece of property just outside of Park City, build on it when you retire....price is just going to go UP. You have Jordanelle, Deer Creek & Rockport(reservoirs) & PCMR, the Canyons & Deer Valley within a VERY SHORT drive. Not to mention all the other lakes/reservoirs & resorts within a bit longer drive.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
I love SLC, no plans to ever leave....
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Best case scenario, buy a nice piece of property just outside of Park City, build on it when you retire....price is just going to go UP. You have Jordanelle, Deer Creek & Rockport(reservoirs) & PCMR, the Canyons & Deer Valley within a VERY SHORT drive. Not to mention all the other lakes/reservoirs & resorts within a bit longer drive.
Well, except screw Deer Valley unless they remove the stick from their a** and open it up to snowboarding!!!!!!!!!! LOL. I have ridden PCMR and Canyons though. they are pretty awesome.

Looks like the season pass prices at Canyons is pretty reasonable too. I pay $500 for my season pass at Mt Hood Meadows and getting unlimited access to ALL those resorts, including the ones in CO and Heavenly and the international ones... That would be pretty "epic". (pun intended).

I'd also be a lot closer to the rest of my family in TX. (or at least a ton closer than I am now).
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       11-07-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
Wow Portland is friggen Cheap.

Looked at a house last week in Vancouver, B.C. 2500 sq ft, 4 beds 3 baths. 2 car garage 25 years old... 33x90 lot 1.2 MILLION!
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
My house is 1787 square feet. It's kinda middle tier. It was built in 2001. It has gas forced air with A/C, gas fireplace, 3 car garage, 6900 sq ft lot. But it does have a decent amount of "value" features. I don't have hardwoods or tile. I have vinyl wrap doors and trim. I think I have a decent value for my money...

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Seems like you can get a lot of house for your money in SLC. I'd totally have another house built. I loved the process of getting mine built and customized to my liking...

I would be quite happy in something like this:
http://www.allparkcityhomes.com/fine...mlsname/WFRMLS
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-07-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
Seems like you can get a lot of house for your money in SLC. I'd totally have another house built. I loved the process of getting mine built and customized to my liking...

I would be quite happy in something like this:
FWIW, that link says Park City homes, but West Valley is in the Salt Lake Valley and not what many would consider a desirable area. (apologies to anyone on WW living in WVC) 3300 S. and 1500 W., you would be right across the river from the Salt Lake County Jail....
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 10:25 AM Reply   
haha. I guess it'd be good to know what I was getting into, huh?

I could probably manage with something like this by Echo reservoir...
(looks good on the map, anyway)

in the 250k +/-, I'd probably never get something in Park City or Old town. But I guess when I retire I'd have more time on my hands, right??? So maybe I wouldn't have to be in the heart of Park City... LOL.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-07-2014, 12:15 PM Reply   
I am going for two houses, one near a ski resort town, maybe wolf creek, one near a lake, maybe eureka springs. Have both houses be B&B's possibly with staff running them.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       11-07-2014, 1:17 PM Reply   
Have u ever looked at northern California? Or are you wanting to stay more NW then west coast?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto817 View Post
Have u ever looked at northern California? Or are you wanting to stay more NW then west coast?
I think Norcal's income tax would take out too big of a chunk of my retirement income to make it as feasible...
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       11-07-2014, 3:54 PM Reply   
I gotcha
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-07-2014, 4:06 PM Reply   
plus our lakes have no water left
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 4:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter19u View Post
plus our lakes have no water left
That's one thing that I'm kinda spoiled with here. The Columbia river never gets too low to use. They have to have the channel for the big freighter ships and barges to go through. I kind of take that for granted.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-07-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
Trayson, why not the Chelan, Pateros, Entiat, wenatchee area? Lots of affordable housing and while you might not end up with a place right on the water you could find something close. 90-100 degree summers, butter on the river, really close to Mission Ridge, not far from Stevens Pass, not super far from Snoqualmie Pass. Besides being hot in the summer in general it is very dry in those areas.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Trayson, why not the Chelan, Pateros, Entiat, wenatchee area? Lots of affordable housing and while you might not end up with a place right on the water you could find something close. 90-100 degree summers, butter on the river, really close to Mission Ridge, not far from Stevens Pass, not super far from Snoqualmie Pass. Besides being hot in the summer in general it is very dry in those areas.
Well, I hadn't really considered it because none of those ski areas has ever grabbed my attention. I really don't know enough about them.

First off, I've skied enough "cascade cement" snow to last me a lifetime. So anything that is the caliber of snow that we get on Mt Hood, Mt Baker, or even Whistler, I could probably handle lighter/drier snow. (like utah or CO or even ID)

So I just looked up mission ridge. While it's about the same size as my home resort (Mt Hood Meadows), they only have 1 high speed quad and 3 double chairs. That's pretty weaksauce compared to what I'm used to (6 high speed quads, 4 doubles)

Stevens looks to be about 1/2 the size of Meadows. But only 8 chairs and only 2 of them high speed quads. It does boast dry snow however. Maybe someday I'll have to ride there to check it out.

Snoqualmie seems a bit closer to what I'm used to. They are a little smaller than Meadows but have a lot of lifts and at least 3 of them are high speed quads. So they're getting closer. It looks like they have a higher percentage of advanced terrain, so that's nice.

I guess it's one of those things where I think about how stoked I'd be to ski a certain resort every day, and Park City/Canyons sounds a lot better than our little WA resorts.

I suppose I could even consider Bellingham, as I went to school there and Baker is legendary and you're close enough to Whistler to go a lot more often... But the overall weather in Bellingham would not be an improvement over Vancouver WA...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-07-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Trayson, why not the Chelan, Pateros, Entiat, wenatchee area? .
Well, I shared this thread with the wife. She veto'd any of the little 'cowtown' areas. We actually enjoy living in "civilization". While I am in the subburbs of Vancouver WA, we are 15 minutes away from Portland and all that the city has to offer. So that combo of city life mixed with boating and skiing/snowboarding is really want we're after.

I told her about SLC and he was onboard for that concept. She liked that they have the Broadway series and the fact that they have a good ballet company there (watching the ballet is one of her passions).

It's too bad that we need to wait until retirement, because an adventure of a new place actually sounds kinda cool! haha.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       11-07-2014, 11:26 PM Reply   
Carson city is a butthole of a town. Cross that one off the list.
I've done my good deed for the day. Lol
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-08-2014, 11:05 AM Reply   
You'll find me with a lake front home on Lake Combie in Auburn/Meadowvista, northern California. One of the most beautiful private lakes you'll find and only 40 minutes to the first ski resort in Tahoe. Only 30 more years......
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       11-08-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardertj View Post
You'll find me with a lake front home on Lake Combie in Auburn/Meadowvista, northern California. One of the most beautiful private lakes you'll find and only 40 minutes to the first ski resort in Tahoe. Only 30 more years......

I live in auburn lol.
My folks have a house in lake of the pines.
That community is about as close as you can get in comparison to Russia. Hate it.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2014, 2:30 PM Reply   
I had a lakefront place in Lake Wildwood. Nice setup but the average age was about 80 and the old people have nothing better to do that complain about everything you do. Vancouver WA would work for be since I also snowboard and windsurf and it looks like it's about an hour to Hood River.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
Combie is nice but way too small.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       11-08-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
I have about 20yrs until retirement, should everything plan out.
I'd like to be somewhere with some acres, and within 15-20min of a good lake, and 45min from a good resort for snowboarding.
Where I live now seems to be about right, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE all the rules in commieland
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-08-2014, 5:06 PM Reply   
How do you like living in Auburn? I'd like to find a place up there where I could ride right to the trails from my backyard, probably around Russell Rd. Don't know if my wife would be up for it thought and I'd have to wait till the kids are out of high school.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       11-08-2014, 5:07 PM Reply   
Auburn is great. Been here about 3yrs.
I own that shell station right there by Russell road! Haha
I live off maidu and can get to rattlesnake bar in 5min down the back roads. And can ride my dirtbike right from my house
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-09-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
Small world. I ride my mountain bike all the time up there so riding from my back yard to the trails would be great but right now I'm less that 20 minutes to the trailhead which isn't bad either.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-12-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
I had a lakefront place in Lake Wildwood. Nice setup but the average age was about 80 and the old people have nothing better to do that complain about everything you do.
Peter, would you expand on this? What would they complain about?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-12-2014, 3:38 PM Reply   
How about Flagstaff Arizona......doesnt get hot, can get some great snow, awesome community, tons of outdoors stuff to do...not many yuppies
-AZ is cheap...property, taxes, gas, food, rent,
-Flagstaff has Snowbowl (leaves some to be desired, but its still snow, super close, and gets decent snow every other year)
-Lake Mary is 15 minutes away (its not all that great) but powel is about 4 hours away.
-There is tons of mountain biking, climbing, Hiking, Fishing, Camping, offroading all over the state and there is very little red tape....(cough california you suck cough cough)
-Sedona is 30 minutes away
-phx is 1.5 hours away (If you need any big city amenities)
-Gun laws... you can concealed carry without a permit, you can go shooting 15 minutes out of the city, theres also tons of hunting.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       11-12-2014, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
I live in auburn lol.
My folks have a house in lake of the pines.
That community is about as close as you can get in comparison to Russia. Hate it.
I'm from Auburn also. My parents have a place on the bear river, grew up there. While I do love it there, nothing is cheap in Cali so here I am in Colorado for a while.