Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-27-2019, 5:23 PM Reply   
I have owned Supras for 15-16 years now. Often buying a new one each year. When I started buying them 15 years ago I knew where they were on the list. It was the start of the wake boarding craze and Mastercraft was the top dog. I didn't want to spend the money on the xstar but they were simply the best. If I organized them at the time Mastercraft was the best builder, then Malibu, then Nautique with brands like Supra and Tige well priced but behind the curve. Years passed and surfing really started to take control of the market. When it did I felt like Nautique took best advantage and truly dominated the market. I still felt Mastercraft built a high quality and nice boat but they were not where Nautique was in the market and what people were using the boats for. I thought Supra had caught Mailbu. This was probably 2013-2017. After visiting the boat show this weekend and looking at all the boats (ordering a new SE) I truly feel that it is simply THE best boat on the market. They have not only caught but passed Nautique imo. Mastercraft is trying to catch up but they are not there, still a great quality boat though. I now feel like Malibu is a distant 4th. I am proud of skiers choice and how far they have come. Just the opinion of a long time boater.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       01-28-2019, 5:22 AM Reply   
I agree with you. We looked at all of them and although i wanted a supra, i couldn't justify the add'l $50k for a boat we only get to use for 3-4 months a year so we ended up in a 2019 Moomba instead. SC really stepped up their game and Malibu really decreased. They were a disappointment to me. Obviously we looked at Axis to compete with our Moomba and there is no way the axis is eve close to moomba on fit and finish. Even on new malibu's the seat colors and stitching didn't line up, it was wavy and you could tell it just isn't what it used to be. Mastercraft is still nice, and its were i came from, but the pricing is thru the roof for a standard 20' boat. Well over 100k new and i am not sure why. Its not 30k nicer with less options.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-28-2019, 8:44 AM Reply   
I have thought about this very thing several times also. Also a long time Supra owner, I was always very happy with Supra and known as more of a "middle of the pack" boat. Now I have to swallow a much bigger price tag, but I really do feel like Supra is a leader. This is completely my perspective and I know everyone's thoughts will differ, but I think many agree Supra has really climbed the ranks. We walked around the boat show this year and noticed there was a bit of a changing of the guard around here. This town was always a Mastercraft/Malibu town. Now we are seeing a big mix of all brands and the price tags have started to get swapped....
Anyway, the new SE is truly an amazing boat. I ordered an SL for size and I love the boat, but if money and size were no object the SE would be in the picture also. Congrats on the new boat and welcome back. Can't wait to see it.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-28-2019, 10:28 AM Reply   
When I first got into boating back in 2006 or so. I was just out of college and wanted a boat but couldn't afford (or didn't want to go that deep in dept) So I bought a used Nautique.

But back then I always wanted a brand new Malibu, then that shifted to a second gen X-star, then a G23.

During this time a I sold the Nautique and bought a Supra 24ssv

This boat show I barely even slowed down when I went by Malibu.

Now the SL and SE are at the top of my list. And I'll probably be in a used SL sooner then later.
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       01-28-2019, 12:16 PM Reply   
I'll bite on the flipside of the coin here. Granted I have 0 experience with the new SE and I also believe you should buy whatever boat fit's you the best(Looks and needs considered) and has great dealer support whether that be Supra, Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique, Tige, Centurion ect..

But we owned a 2015 Supra SE and for the first year I thought it was an incredible boat... then it became the worst ownership experience imaginable for the following two years. After two years of dealing with Skier's Choice and that boat I could never bring myself to own another Skier's choice product. When it worked it was a good boat. But the overall experience was nightmarish. we now have an 18 24MXZ and there is not a single category that it does not outshine our old Supra in. With that said, the new SE might be a home run(which I've heard a lot) but I will more than likely never find out haha.

To sum up in one sentence... Buy what you like and fits you best, they are all incredible machines.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-29-2019, 4:27 AM Reply   
Want to talk about price increases. I have bought and owned nothing but centurion products for the last 17 years. In the beginning I could buy a new boat for under 30k and add the options I wanted. Back then nobody did centurion and I liked being different amongst all the Malibu's. Now with the popularity of surfing and centurion becoming a top boat I'm well north of 100k for a new boat.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-29-2019, 6:57 AM Reply   
Just visit the boat show last weekend and i pretty much feel like you since 2 years.
Got a good old Nautique 210 2006 and keeping it 10years (almost 11). I bought it new in 2006 ans sold it in 2016.
Now i change each two season.

Few friends have Moomba’s and since 2013-14 i really saw the progresse of that company.
Back then for me MC was the top boat too. Bu’s was the flashy and Nautique was the reliability and supra the bang for the Buck.

Since 2016 i think i take a ride on almost every 21-23 model on the Market here in Eastern canada. (We dont have MB)
Supra really impressed me. But not enough in 2016 for buying one.
In 2016 I bought a Tige and really had a terrible experience, especially with macanic (indmar) thats the only boat i kept 1 season.
2017 bought a Nautique 210, probably because i loved so much My 2006 and never have trouble with it in 10years.
Since then i really pay attention on details for next purshace
Nautique is really untouchable quality. Engine soundproofing, engine reliability, vinyl quality BUT they are not really in the game anymore in term of tech and surfing.
MC i feel the same way.
Bu still bu, they are flashy boat and i feel like they chop on details for keeping them flashy and «*affordable*»

But 2017 Supra, wow! Game changer for me. Quality/tech/price is incomparable.
Same way with Centurion.
Next boat gonna be between these 2 for sure.
Only thing is my really bas experience with indmar and extremely top experience with PCM.
So tend to point on Centurion.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-29-2019, 8:57 AM Reply   
Couldn't agree more. The once big three brands, Malibu, Nautique and Mastercraft would now be one of my last choices. Supra, Tige and centurion are the ones to pay attention to at the moment.

Nautique did it right in the first place nearly 7 years ago and haven't made any major changes, this says two things. One, they were smart enough to do it right in the first place and secondly it's time for an upgrade!
Old     (Eurobound)      Join Date: Jul 2018       01-29-2019, 3:18 PM Reply   
All I can do is drool! Reading about you guys changing boats every few seasons sounds crazy to me! We don't get enough good days to justify it and my salary wont allow it... but it sure would be nice. Only thing that scares me is buying a used boat in the future with all the electronics on it. I almost totally refurbed my 2002 Supra Launch from the bilge up (because I bought a lemon)... can't do that with new ones I dont think?
Old     (mfenton)      Join Date: May 2009       01-29-2019, 4:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer101 View Post
Couldn't agree more. The once big three brands, Malibu, Nautique and Mastercraft would now be one of my last choices. Supra, Tige and centurion are the ones to pay attention to at the moment.

Nautique did it right in the first place nearly 7 years ago and haven't made any major changes, this says two things. One, they were smart enough to do it right in the first place and secondly it's time for an upgrade!
I went to houston boat show a couple weeks ago and every salesman would say..Well compared to G this boat has this and that.... The new supra is awesome I have to say that but I feel like all the boat companies are catching up to the G and then nautique is going to release a new model and clean house again. I have owned a couple different boats but I have a G now and love it. Just my 2 cents
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       01-30-2019, 12:48 PM Reply   
I have never been in a G23. I have seen plenty of them on our lake. Back in the days when I was much younger the 210 was the best there was to me. My buddy had so much weight in his boat that I was afraid to hit that wake. lol We sat around huge 600lbs ballast bags that were everywhere. The perfect ramp/launch that seemed to always to be the right shape.

I currently have the cash to buy a used 2017 G23 if I wanted to, but I chose to buy a SL 450. Just not a fan of the look of the G23. To me it is very ugly. The surf wave looks steep and the wake board wake is still perfect from what I have seen. I wanted to be able to adjust the wave as much as possible and still wanted the awesome wakeboard wake and I felt that the SL gave me that. The Centurion RI237 was next on my short list, but could get over the hinges, grab handles and how tall and huge it was. Too much boat for me.

The SL just fit what I was looking for and had the look that I preferred. Again the SE was just so huge and I just don't have the crew to fill it anymore. Too much boat for me as well. Looking forward to the SL and a great summer.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-30-2019, 3:22 PM Reply   
SL is a great boat. You will love it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       01-31-2019, 5:48 AM Reply   
Well I have been fortunate enough to have had both the G and 2 SE's (old body style and new 2019).

I would say when you compare the 19 SE and the G you literally could go either way and never miss a beat. I loved both boats as far as how they perform. However I personally like the styling of the SE better, inside and out!

BTW Supra is in the TOP 3 now, IMO....
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-31-2019, 5:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurobound View Post
All I can do is drool! Reading about you guys changing boats every few seasons sounds crazy to me! We don't get enough good days to justify it and my salary wont allow it... but it sure would be nice. Only thing that scares me is buying a used boat in the future with all the electronics on it. I almost totally refurbed my 2002 Supra Launch from the bilge up (because I bought a lemon)... can't do that with new ones I dont think?
Its Just a matter of loan most of the Time.
Back then (15years ago) buying a boat was kind of affordable lol. Moomba mobius was 45K brand new.
These days its just unthinkable to buy a boat without a big loan.
So why not taking advantage of it? Give 10K deposit and the rest in loan, take a monthly payment that your salary can afford and after 2 years you change. Loan is transfered on the new Boat and you loss maybe 2K on the exchange but you have a brand new boat.
Its cool these days because so much different good boat on the market.
Boat are not like cars, Their is always a market for barely used. Someone who want to save 10K.
Loosing 1K or 2 each 2 years sound not a good idea but like you Said, so much technology, so much things that can break and summer is so Quick.
For Myself the loss kind of garanteed me that the boat wont ruin my summer haha. Before 150hours trouble are rarely there, after 150h most bugs thend to appear. Change the boat before that haha.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       01-31-2019, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Its Just a matter of loan most of the Time.

Back then (15years ago) buying a boat was kind of affordable lol. Moomba mobius was 45K brand new.

These days its just unthinkable to buy a boat without a big loan.

So why not taking advantage of it? Give 10K deposit and the rest in loan, take a monthly payment that your salary can afford and after 2 years you change. Loan is transfered on the new Boat and you loss maybe 2K on the exchange but you have a brand new boat.

Its cool these days because so much different good boat on the market.

Boat are not like cars, Their is always a market for barely used. Someone who want to save 10K.

Loosing 1K or 2 each 2 years sound not a good idea but like you Said, so much technology, so much things that can break and summer is so Quick.

For Myself the loss kind of garanteed me that the boat wont ruin my summer haha. Before 150hours trouble are rarely there, after 150h most bugs thend to appear. Change the boat before that haha.

How is losing 1 or 2K even remotely possible? You’re paying a boatload of interest each month as well....that’s all lost.

I have heard similar thought processes stated before, but the math just doesn’t seem to be there. Elaborate on your system.

Do dealers really give you 2K less than you borrowed after 2 years and 150hrs? That sounds insane. You said they sell them for 10k less than new...so I don’t get it. They don’t eat 8k to keep you happy, do they?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-04-2019, 4:48 PM Reply   
No...not even close to being true. You buy a boat for over $80k and you losing $5k per year easy. You buy a g or xstar or something for $125k you losing $8k/year easy first 3-5 years.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-04-2019, 5:06 PM Reply   
Skiers Choice is doing an awesome job with their new boats. I definitely get a lot of experience with them on this lake, and they have made huge strides in the last 10 years.

That said, I do wonder a little bit how well they will stand the test of time, compared to a Nautique or MC. From a general build quality standpoint, they do a great job, and everything that the general consumer can see or touch, they are a very well done boat. However, when it comes down to some fine details on build quality/integrity, it is easy to see where the extra cost adds up on a MC or Nautique. There are lots of things that they do (Essentially over-do), to make their boats last.

Does that mean the Supra/Moomba’s aren’t built perfectly well, and won’t stand the test of time? Heck no. CC’s and MC’s are probably just overbuilt.

Things that you see in MC and CC that you don’t see in a Supra-
- Fully tinned wiring in the whole boat- MC is 100% tinned wiring since 2012. MY G’s were mostly tinned wiring, except for a couple accessories. Supra/Moomba doesn’t use tinned wiring as far as I have seen, up to the 2018 SE that I put some lights and speakers in.
- Full hull structure. MC uses a full length grid stringer structure, a 1 piece deck, and an integrated steel support structure in the walkthrough/windshield gap. In the G series, Nautique uses a full double hull with an integrated stringer grid. Many people don’t know,or can’t tell, that when you open a compartment in a G, you aren’t looking at the backside of the hull, and you aren’t looking at floor divider sections. You are looking at the backside of a one piece full double hull structure. Supra/Moomba uses the conventional construction methods that they have been using, and partial stringers. They don’t have redundant full length support, and they don’t have a lateral support structure included in the stringer support structure. Once again? Do they need more? Probably not..... but they definitely aren’t built to the same level of structural rigidity.
- Backing plates. MC and CC use integrated aluminum backing plates in their critical hardware connection points. Engine mounts, Platform mounts, tower mounts, cleats, strut, tracking fins, lifting points, helm seat mounting points, rear grab handle/tow point, tab and actuator mounts, etc.....
-Multiple fiberglass barrier coats in the Lam process. Both CC and MC double and triple coat the backside of the hull with a barrier coat over the sealer. It has been a couple years since I was at skiers choice, but at the time, they weren’t doing anything over the sealer on the inside of the hull. Technically though, that sealer coat should be enough.....

And then we also know where they both spend money on things that don’t make them better built.... Nautique finishes their compartments, and installs 4x more SeaDek than they should. MC spends 4x as much as they should on hardware, because they feel that every bit of it should be machined from a solid block, including big parts like tower legs.

Don’t take any of this as me saying there is anything wrong with Supra/Moomba build. They are absolutely built very well. I’m just pointing out that under the skin, it is easy to see the extra money spent on a higher build quality that probably isn’t needed...... but it’s there.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-05-2019, 6:19 AM Reply   
A little prospective. Personally, I'd be worried about the use of tinned wire. It tells me the manufacturer does not want to spend the time and effort to properly seal the wire connectors. Perhaps the extra 30% cost of the wire is worth the savings in time for MC and CC because they don't need to properly seal the wire. Which will last longer? A properly sealed "regular" wire or a tinned wire without a seal?

On another note, how is it possible to have cleats and lifting rights without any sort of backing? They would rip right out of the fiberglass without backing.

The inboard industry is at the point where any of us can make an argument that any boat is built better than another. I'm in the market and looking and while I'm not an expert, I do have some current info. I did rule out the Mastercraft X24 already based on what I felt was a completely ridiculous price IMO. The X24 was not worth substantially more than a G25, SE450, Ri257, (and others) to me.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       02-05-2019, 6:27 AM Reply   
And i agree that MC and SAN are well built boats as well. However, the pricing they are asking, is it really worth that much more? I think every MFG is making great boats these days.

But i can by a new 2019 Moomba for 85k, and the same size in MC for 125k? is the 40k really worth it for the things you mention? At the end of the day its a tow boat, and we use it to have fun on the lake. Is the MC really 40k more fun?

and i own a MC so i am NOT biased. Looking for upgrade now and just can't see the 40k difference.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-05-2019, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
A little prospective. Personally, I'd be worried about the use of tinned wire. It tells me the manufacturer does not want to spend the time and effort to properly seal the wire connectors. Perhaps the extra 30% cost of the wire is worth the savings in time for MC and CC because they don't need to properly seal the wire. Which will last longer? A properly sealed "regular" wire or a tinned wire without a seal?

On another note, how is it possible to have cleats and lifting rights without any sort of backing? They would rip right out of the fiberglass without backing.

The inboard industry is at the point where any of us can make an argument that any boat is built better than another. I'm in the market and looking and while I'm not an expert, I do have some current info. I did rule out the Mastercraft X24 already based on what I felt was a completely ridiculous price IMO. The X24 was not worth substantially more than a G25, SE450, Ri257, (and others) to me.
Your observations only compound my point though...... they don’t skimp on connections. Quite the opposite in fact. MC and CC both use the exact same Deutsch connectors that are found in the other brands, but they use more of them. Not to mention, they are also using tinned pins in the sealed connectors. Look at connection points for optional accessories, and generic electrical components. Things like bilge pumps, actuators, accessory lighting, heaters, etc.. In a MC and CC you’ll find all of those additional connections use sealed Deutsch connectors (CC is still using unsealed connectors for interior lighting and cup holder lights, but all sealed besides that), they aren’t using crimp connectors. In fact, I see lots of others using completely unsealed crimps. (There was a time when MC and CC were guilty of the same, but not in recent years)

On the backing plates- yes, a lot of that stuff comes with backing plates that are installed on the inside. What I am talking about is the integrated structural backing plates that are laminated into the hull. They are a much bigger area than the plates that come with those accessories, and they are integrated into the hull. Both MC and CC have CNC tables that cut dozens of specially sized structural backing plates for those mounting points, and they are glassed into the hull and deck in the lamination area.

Maybe I only notice all of this stuff because I have done several plant tours, and I install a lot of equipment/accessories in boats (Mostly SC, CC, and MC boats), so I see this kind of stuff while I am rolling around in compartments and swearing at every fiberglass sliver I get. I don’t have much experience with many of the other brands. They aren’t popular around here.

I really like Supra boats, and I’d have zero issue owning one, but I do notice things like this.....

Also, an X24 is not more expensive than a G25. I wouldn’t be surprised if maybe your MC dealer just didn’t offer as much of a discount, but if you lay it out as an apples to apples comparison, for equally equipped boats, the X24 falls right in the middle of pricing for a G23 and G25. It falls in so nicely, that I wouldn’t be surprised if it was done on purpose.

MC and CC run the same margin basis on their boats, so it is pretty easy to determine which one costs more based on MSRP. SC runs a narrower margin, so it is not as easy to compare. You’ll often find that a MC or CC dealer can offer a bigger discount, and there is a reason for that as well. But for this example, CC and MC can be directly compared, because they have the same margins.

I’ll just give the pricing example based on equally equipped base model boats. I did a ton of comparisons between these exact models when I was shopping, and if I kept them optioned the same, the G25 was always a little more (7-15k) expensive. For this comparison I’ll just do it with base/basic options. Both boats have the GM LT1 6.2DI as the standard engine.

The G25 comes standard with the surf system, convertible rear seat, and a power tower, so that needs to be added to the X24 to make them equal....

G25- $177,840

X24- $154,920
$8,160 Power tower
$6,740 GenII
$1,570 convertible rear seat
X24 total- $171,390

If you optioned these up more, the G25 actually grows the difference. The stereo upgrade, and Bimini are 2-3x more expensive on the Nautique for some reason. Most of the other stuff is similarly priced.

I did price an SE as well, and it was cheaper than the X24, and the G25. Others results may vary, but it was still a 138k boat, so it wasn’t that much cheaper. The MSRPs were hugely different on the SE, but the dealer said they couldn’t go over a 15% discount, whereas the MC and CC dealers will offer much more than that.

Hunter991- I think it’s all in what you want. The best personal observation I have for that, is this- I own a GT350R, and I also own an R8 V10. I love both cars, and they both have very similar performance. I can tell why my R8 cost more than the mustang though.

This difference becomes less apparent if you were comparing a Supra to the MC, but they would be closer in price as well. It’s harder to justify paying more in that scenario, and that might come down to personal preference, and weather or not the “little things” mean that much to you.

Last edited by Fixable; 02-05-2019 at 8:21 AM.
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-08-2019, 3:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
Skiers Choice is doing an awesome job with their new boats. I definitely get a lot of experience with them on this lake, and they have made huge strides in the last 10 years.

That said, I do wonder a little bit how well they will stand the test of time, compared to a Nautique or MC. From a general build quality standpoint, they do a great job, and everything that the general consumer can see or touch, they are a very well done boat. However, when it comes down to some fine details on build quality/integrity, it is easy to see where the extra cost adds up on a MC or Nautique. There are lots of things that they do (Essentially over-do), to make their boats last.

Does that mean the Supra/Moomba’s aren’t built perfectly well, and won’t stand the test of time? Heck no. CC’s and MC’s are probably just overbuilt.

Things that you see in MC and CC that you don’t see in a Supra-
- Fully tinned wiring in the whole boat- MC is 100% tinned wiring since 2012. MY G’s were mostly tinned wiring, except for a couple accessories. Supra/Moomba doesn’t use tinned wiring as far as I have seen, up to the 2018 SE that I put some lights and speakers in.
- Full hull structure. MC uses a full length grid stringer structure, a 1 piece deck, and an integrated steel support structure in the walkthrough/windshield gap. In the G series, Nautique uses a full double hull with an integrated stringer grid. Many people don’t know,or can’t tell, that when you open a compartment in a G, you aren’t looking at the backside of the hull, and you aren’t looking at floor divider sections. You are looking at the backside of a one piece full double hull structure. Supra/Moomba uses the conventional construction methods that they have been using, and partial stringers. They don’t have redundant full length support, and they don’t have a lateral support structure included in the stringer support structure. Once again? Do they need more? Probably not..... but they definitely aren’t built to the same level of structural rigidity.
- Backing plates. MC and CC use integrated aluminum backing plates in their critical hardware connection points. Engine mounts, Platform mounts, tower mounts, cleats, strut, tracking fins, lifting points, helm seat mounting points, rear grab handle/tow point, tab and actuator mounts, etc.....
'-Multiple fiberglass barrier coats in the Lam process. Both CC and MC double and triple coat the backside of the hull with a barrier coat over the sealer. It has been a couple years since I was at skiers choice, but at the time, they weren’t doing anything over the sealer on the inside of the hull. Technically though, that sealer coat should be enough.....

And then we also know where they both spend money on things that don’t make them better built.... Nautique finishes their compartments, and installs 4x more SeaDek than they should. MC spends 4x as much as they should on hardware, because they feel that every bit of it should be machined from a solid block, including big parts like tower legs.

Don’t take any of this as me saying there is anything wrong with Supra/Moomba build. They are absolutely built very well. I’m just pointing out that under the skin, it is easy to see the extra money spent on a higher build quality that probably isn’t needed...... but it’s there.
Just took a tour of the SC facility and saw my boat on the line this week...agree with most of what you said for sure but wanted to confirm a few things on a macro level, didn't sign an NDA but still don't want to go into gory detail. The below applies to Moomba and Supra, build process while in the mold is the same.

Full hull structure. MC uses a full length grid stringer structure, a 1 piece deck, and an integrated steel support structure in the walkthrough/windshield gap. In the G series, Nautique uses a full double hull with an integrated stringer grid. Many people don’t know,or can’t tell, that when you open a compartment in a G, you aren’t looking at the backside of the hull, and you aren’t looking at floor divider sections. You are looking at the backside of a one piece full double hull structure. Supra/Moomba uses the conventional construction methods that they have been using, and partial stringers. They don’t have redundant full length support, and they don’t have a lateral support structure included in the stringer support structure. Once again? Do they need more? Probably not..... but they definitely aren’t built to the same level of structural rigidity.
I think it's true that the stringers are partial, but there are other processes in place to increase rigidity of the whole structure. They use a few passes that looks like they serve to chemically bond/weld the stringers to the rest of the structure and help w rigidity.

Backing plates. MC and CC use integrated aluminum backing plates in their critical hardware connection points. Engine mounts, Platform mounts, tower mounts, cleats, strut, tracking fins, lifting points, helm seat mounting points, rear grab handle/tow point, tab and actuator mounts, etc.....
Backing plates are for sure used. Cleats, tower, handles, etc. The backing plates aren't aluminum, but what SC uses actually seems like a better option to me. Definitely seems like a more advanced material

Multiple fiberglass barrier coats in the Lam process. Both CC and MC double and triple coat the backside of the hull with a barrier coat over the sealer. It has been a couple years since I was at skiers choice, but at the time, they weren’t doing anything over the sealer on the inside of the hull. Technically though, that sealer coat should be enough.....
I believe a couple coats are used, as well as the multiple passes of ceramic (IIRC) mentioned above.

Seems like all the manufacturers do things differently, for better or worse. Just wanted to clarify on some of the above. Full disclosure, I ordered a 2019 Craz...very happy with the way these are built, especially for the money. We were down to the Craz and the T22 and IMO, the Moomba blows the Axis out of the water. So my views may be a bit biased, but I'm happy with where I put my money!

Last edited by Matt0520; 02-08-2019 at 3:36 PM.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-09-2019, 4:43 AM Reply   
Matt- Great info and post. How did you like the tour? They have a pretty cool factory. I used to do a yearly trip, and tour MC, Bu, and SC in the same day. It was really cool to see all the processes. I haven’t been since 2017 though, and would like to go again this year.

Just a note on your updates. Malibu and MC both use that same composite backing material as well. It makes a huge difference in gripping and holding the fasteners, and is a great material. They also both still use the interior backing plates, that are usually stainless, on the inside of through-bolted items (As does SC). MC just incorporates big aluminum plates into the fiberglass layup as well. As we know, SC doesn’t have any problems with structural failures in that regard, so they obviously don’t need them, and what they are doing works absolutely fine.

Congrats on the new boat!! I’m going to think less of you, if you don’t post some pics of that beauty!!
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-09-2019, 5:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Matt- Great info and post. How did you like the tour? They have a pretty cool factory. I used to do a yearly trip, and tour MC, Bu, and SC in the same day. It was really cool to see all the processes. I haven’t been since 2017 though, and would like to go again this year.

Just a note on your updates. Malibu and MC both use that same composite backing material as well. It makes a huge difference in gripping and holding the fasteners, and is a great material. They also both still use the interior backing plates, that are usually stainless, on the inside of through-bolted items (As does SC). MC just incorporates big aluminum plates into the fiberglass layup as well. As we know, SC doesn’t have any problems with structural failures in that regard, so they obviously don’t need them, and what they are doing works absolutely fine.

Congrats on the new boat!! I’m going to think less of you, if you don’t post some pics of that beauty!!
Morning! Tour was great! My company works with a lot of industrial manufacturing places but I had never been in a place that builds boats. Really neat to see, and I was impressed with just how much was done in-house. Also pretty neat just how many of their suppliers are nearby. Like on the same street haha. The supply chain geek in me loves that, must easier to have control when you are <30 min drive to most of your first-tier suppliers.

OK yep, that's what I was meaning. Sorry didn't mean my post as anything but an addition to the info in yours. Yeah the composite backing is really neat. Even more so since it apparently is self-healing and allows things to be removed, fixed, and drilled right back into the same location.

Haha no problem, ours wasn't too far along but here's a pic of it out of the mold, and the rendering. The pacific blue welt look off in the configurator, but is a good match in real life. Pretty much went with all wake, prop, and audio options...basically everything else, including surf pipe, except for docking and underwater lights. This is our first boat, and one I think we can grow into for a while...we're psyched!

Last edited by Matt0520; 02-09-2019 at 5:55 AM.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-09-2019, 8:38 AM Reply   
Beautiful Boat!! Congrats!
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-09-2019, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Beautiful Boat!! Congrats!

Thank you sir!
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       02-11-2019, 11:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
Thank you sir!
Congrats on the new boat!

I truly believe all the big names make awesome boats now and it just comes down to cosmetic appeal, layout and dealer support when deciding on brand
Old     (Matt0520)      Join Date: Feb 2019       02-11-2019, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlzelenik View Post
Congrats on the new boat!

I truly believe all the big names make awesome boats now and it just comes down to cosmetic appeal, layout and dealer support when deciding on brand
Appreciate it and couldn't agree more, there will always be the brand loyalists but yeah it comes down to who's local, and how many bells and whistles you want! Reliability, waves, etc. are so close now it's splitting hairs.
Old     (snjames316)      Join Date: Mar 2017       02-19-2019, 11:22 AM Reply   
I have a big ol' mastercraft X-80, been to the boat show the last 4 years and the supra this year looks like a totally new brand compared to supra even just last year.... The boats I saw on display looked amazing at the Detroit boat show. Especially the loaded out Green and black one with the green led tower lighting on the logos if anyone else saw that one. Not that the look shows for performance but I feel like the performance based on what i saw would be similar to the top brands for surf/wakeboard. Only thing I did notice was they really brought the pricing up which makes sense but still. I can't afford anything up in that 150k+ range yet
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-20-2019, 6:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
No...not even close to being true. You buy a boat for over $80k and you losing $5k per year easy. You buy a g or xstar or something for $125k you losing $8k/year easy first 3-5 years.
I made almost 2k on my 18 after a year of use. So...
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-20-2019, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I made a little on my 18 after a year of use. So it can be done. Most I have ever lost in a year was 3k.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-20-2019, 7:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra24ssv View Post
I made a little on my 18 after a year of use. So it can be done. Most I have ever lost in a year was 3k.

Did you purchase with cash? Obviously at a good discount?

In other words, what’s the catch? How did your boat increase in value?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2019, 3:12 AM Reply   
The catch is dealer relationship. Obviously he is getting special pricing. Mark up on boats is huge and if you have a dealer that will sell to you for less than the rest of the public it all works out.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-21-2019, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
The catch is dealer relationship. Obviously he is getting special pricing. Mark up on boats is huge and if you have a dealer that will sell to you for less than the rest of the public it all works out.

Point is, there is a catch, right? This is not normal or common. But no one ever wants to tell the full story—they just want to say that they made money on a boat in a year. I am not sure what motivates that.

Like in your situation, H20: You do all of your own stereo install and save money on stereo purchase upfront. Right? Plus get good pricing?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2019, 8:53 AM Reply   
Correct I do my own stereo and get special pricing. What motavates someone to not share pricing is to maintain the deal. If pricing gets shared others come asking for it.and you will find your deals go away.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       02-21-2019, 9:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Correct I do my own stereo and get special pricing. What motavates someone to not share pricing is to maintain the deal. If pricing gets shared others come asking for it.and you will find your deals go away.

Yeah I totally agree with that. You wouldn’t want to share your pricing!

When people just blanket throw out there and imply that they bought a retail boat and made money—it’s false. There’s a catch. There’s a favor or unique circumstance someplace.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-21-2019, 9:07 AM Reply   
Correct making money is rare. I just try to break even or real close to it.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-22-2019, 11:59 PM Reply   
Now that everyone is talking about buying and selling. I'll have a 19 SE550 for sale in July-August if anyone is interested!!!! -

PM me for details
Old     (gdmatson)      Join Date: Jan 2018       02-25-2019, 7:13 PM Reply   
At 50 years old with 2 bad knees I primarily surf now. I was a loyal Malibu guy from 1995 to 2015. We moved to a Ri237 last year and couldn’t be happier with our decision. That said, if there was a #2, it would absolutely be a Supra for us. Not sure about 3 and 4, but Malibu would be 5th and maybe even 6th. Supra has got their game on!