Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    alanp            07-25-2012, 6:31 PM Reply   
time has come to get a dog. a real commitment for me and the wife but we dont want the dog to totally run our lives(ie we wanna go to the lake on a saturday and not have to worry about her). any suggestions on the fence or brands you have used. im also going to have to build custom doggy door. anyone have to do anything like that?
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-25-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
what kind of area do you live in? (neighborhood, woods, etc...) if you're in the woods or have great neighbors, I would build a very nice kennel setup. Personally I use Priefert brand and k9 Condo dog houses. Make a nice size of at least 5'x10' with a shaded area. I personally wouldn't just let the dog rome the yard, dogs dig, neighbors let dogs out, etc... things happen.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
Will the dog roam out the doggie door and into the wireless fenced yard when you are not home? There is no way I would trust one of these fences enough. Personally after looking into them I didn't trust them enough to let our dogs out into the yard without supervision even when we were home.

Are you just wanting dogs for some sort of commitment? We love our dogs and I would never live without a dog again, but life is way easier without them. I feel horrible leaving ours for more than 3-4 hours even though we have a fully climate controlled kennel in our basement. What kind of dog are you thinking.

As Mahonney said, get ready for a lot of digging if you are not supervising them, especially as puppies. I would hold off on the doggie door until you get them potty trained and decide if you even need one. I think they are ugly.

Here are our trouble makers, the Golden is now about 50 pounds larger!!
Attached Images

Old    alanp            07-25-2012, 7:10 PM Reply   
the neighbors have a wireless fence and their dog used to chase everyone down the street before before they installed it. it seems to work perfectly. that dog is outside all the time unsupervised. my wife is also a veterinarian so im sure she will chip her in case she ever wanders off.

about the dog she is a standard poodle. she is 7 years old(former akc breeding dog). she is house trained, crate trained, doggy door trained and she can smile.

the doggie door is temporary(we are moving within a year). and i have french doors with a smaller door on each side of the french doors(about 15 inches wide). so my plan is to remove on of the smaller doors and frame in a doggy door.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-25-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
We have two dogs...one 80lbs and one 45.....the big one is an escape artist...8 foot fence can jump it without a running start, buried wire underneath the fence to prevent digging under it, and wire on top now....we tried the wireless and that dog outsmarted even that....she has a lot of extra neck skin ( boxer /ridgeback mix ) and figured out if she shook her head enough that radio fence really didn't hurt that bad...especially if there were deer or other dogs on the other side to play with....we were at the end of our rope....although when she left the yard she never went far.

The solution...a second dog...she never jumped the fence again because she had company.

We ended up selling the radio fence to a neighbor with a small dog as both our dogs learned the shake the head and run trick.

I hope you have better luck!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
I see they have Electronic doggy doors that Know its your dog via a micro chip in the dog collar. The dog door will not let in other pets. I don't own a dog or pet but thought it was cool.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-25-2012, 9:37 PM Reply   
Wireless fence is bad! It allows other dogs to attack your dog, but doesn't allow your dog to get away! I've seen a mountain lion kill a black due to this very scenario.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2012, 7:28 AM Reply   
We have an Invisible Fence for our two Great Danes. It's been four years since I had it installed and neither of my dogs have ever left the yard. I let them outside unsupervised daily as long as someone is home but if we are gone, the dogs are either in the garage or in the house.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-30-2012, 6:41 AM Reply   
petsafe.net
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
We have Invisible Fence. It has worked great, but it was pretty expensive.
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2012, 9:07 PM Reply   
Alan, you know how I have kept my dogs. I am sure you probably don't want to go that route. We don't use invisible fences because if the dog is hard and runs through the correction they are now stuck on the outside of the fence. The dog isn't constantly corrected until they get back inside the invisible fence. You have just created a barrier to keep them out and if you call them back to the house they will get a correction. I am sure your average house dog will mind the fence but it a rabbit or another dog comes into the picture, well you never know.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-31-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
Keeping a dog in the wireless fence is easy with training. I have a springer spaniel that has a wireless fence outside. When we put the fence in I put wire flags about every 10 feet all the way around the area that the fence goes. I put the collar on him and took him to the flags and the collar would beep as a warning. (some will think this is cruel but he learned) I pushed him past the fence about two or three times and he got shocked and immediately didn't like it. That was the first day. For about four more days I'd walk him along the flags and let him hear the beep (not shocking him) but he learned the boundary from the warning the collar gave him. Now if he gets close and hears the beep he immediately high tails it the other way lol. Since then, when I want to let him roam every time I take the collar off I show it to him and say "free" then he knows he can roam. If I don't use the key word he won't even get close to the fence. Best dog I've EVER had. He has his own ladder on the dock that when he is "free" he will just run down to the dock jump off and swim and climb up all by himself.
Old     (NewWakeGirl)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-27-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
I'd build a custom dog door and use a six foot privacy fense locked. Don't have a good feeling about the safety and ethics of the electrical fences personally, and get two dogs so they can keep each other company! If you have to go away there are a lot of pet sitters out there also.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-27-2012, 10:56 PM Reply   
I have seen many dogs go beyond the electrical fences. One got ran over. One beagle was never found, and a standard poodle ended up at the neighbors house. Batteries die and collars can go bad. Someone can also really easily take or harm you dog.
I would say to get a real fence, or skip getting a dog until you can.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-28-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
I'd say do yourself a huge favor and skip getting a dog. For the most part I don't really understand the need for people to keep animals. Granted if your lonely or can't have kids maybe. Also if your a hunter maybe. But just to have a animal as a pet seems weird when you think about it.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
I lived on a lake, and liked the openness of no fences, so I tried the electric fence with my three boxers…spent about 5-6 weeks training them on it. They hated being shocked. About a week after training, I looked outside my window to see all three lying out on my neighbors rooftop dock getting some sun. I went outside to call them down….they all were missing their collars??? Not sure how they did it, but I found all three collars in pieces scattered around my yard…chewed to s*it. I know how to fit a collar and had all three collars on extra tight. I laughed a bit…then called a fence company to install a fence.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-29-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Just for Ron.... Not lonely, have kids, not a hunter.....meet my dogs...Kane and Chopper....

No input on the electric fence...have never used one. The dogs can go out front with supervision....and have the run of the back, which is fenced. Pretty much, they hang out inside....
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-29-2012, 9:32 PM Reply   
Some won't ever realize the value of a dog without getting one. Can't imagine life without them.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-30-2012, 4:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Some won't ever realize the value of a dog without getting one. Can't imagine life without them.
Just as some won't realize all the work,effort and pain in the rear it can be to own one without getting one. I grew up with dogs(retrievers) and owned one for 3yrs(had to get rid of because it kept biting people) and will not be getting another in the foreseeable future do to the amount of effort and time that they require. I still hear it from time to time from the wife and kids about how nice it would be to have another dog but the wife knows everyone we are gone from the house a day or weekend that we now don't have to worry about a dog sitting home alone or a kennel bill! Also not having to worry about picking crap up all over the yard is pretty nice too!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-30-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
That's the way some of us feel about kids
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-30-2012, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
That's the way some of us feel about kids
Lol! Yeah would have to say kids are more work than the dog was! But so far they aren't biters and they almost always crap in toilet!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-30-2012, 9:00 PM Reply   
Yeah, if I could get my dogs to do that toilet thing it would solve a lot of issues...