Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VTWakeboard)      Join Date: Oct 2011       12-27-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
Headed down to New Orleans for New Years and the Sugar Bowl. Looking for advice on places to eat, drink, celebrate, site see, tailgate at the superdome and any other insite as how to entertain a bunch of college Kids for four days. Thanks guy
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-28-2011, 5:50 AM Reply   
I go a few times a year so maybe I can help, and we tossed around the idea of going on new years but figured finding a place to stay would be pretty difficult. If you can I would recommend staying in the french quarter if you can find a room. That way it's really no more than a $10 cab ride anywhere you would want to go.
Bourbon Street is where the big party is going to be but I'm assuming that it will be slammed. My favorite places on Bourbon are the Cat's Meow (awesome karaoke bar and one of the few place you can get on a balcony without having a balcony room), Pat O'Briens (gotta stop in for a hurricane), Razoos (pretty cluby but still fun), and my new favorite is called the Dungeon (heavy metal bar, go to the back room)
The other cool place to party is down on Frenchman street, there is a lot of bars that mostly play real live jazz and has a more local feel.
The food there is some of the best that I have ever had. Go to Central Grocery, 923 Decatur St. and get a muffuletta (the best in the world IMHO). The Gumbo Shop and Coop's Place both have great food and it's very reasonably priced. Crescent City Brewhouse is great but pretty expensive. I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever had a "bad" meal in New Orleans, just keep it simple and stay away from chain restaurants like Bubba Gump and TGI Friday's and the like.
There are carriage rides all over by Jackson Square. We have done a few and it's always really interesting, there is a lot of history in New Orleans, also Royal Street has ton's of little art shops and antique stores if your into that, good way to kill time and burn off some alcohol.
I don't have a lot of info on the Superdome other than it's downtown and pretty close to the french quarter so getting there shouldn't be a problem.
Have fun, it's my favorite city to party in!!!
Hope that helps
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-28-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTWakeboard View Post
Headed down to New Orleans for New Years and the Sugar Bowl. Looking for advice on places to eat, drink, celebrate, site see, tailgate at the superdome and any other insite as how to entertain a bunch of college Kids for four days. Thanks guy
I hope ur not a Wolverine fan! are u?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-28-2011, 6:13 AM Reply   
Nevermind haha...saw ur screen name! Bourbon street is a blast for sure!!
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-28-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
if your a college student, go to the bull dog on magazine street. Thats where all the tulane students party at. actually anything on magazine street is pretty fun. When i go for my mardi gras parade, i usually avoid burbon. entirely too many people for my taste. But its awesomely fun there if you hit the right places. Pat O's and what not are great. My favorite place to eat is the Port of Call on Esplanade. has great drinks too. Walking distance from burbon.

hotels, get something on st charles. all day passes on the trolleys are 2 dollars on the weekend. usually cheaper down there. Also nice bars and restaraunts too.
Old     (VTWakeboard)      Join Date: Oct 2011       12-29-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks for the Info guys, real exited about this trip. Leaving Sunday morning from VA so hopefully be there in time for happy hour
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-29-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Go blue!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-29-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepintoliquid View Post
Go blue!
Be quiet lol
Old     (VTWakeboard)      Join Date: Oct 2011       12-30-2011, 8:09 PM Reply   
staying at the Marriott on canal street, leaving 5 am. Were is the place to go for NewYears?
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-31-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
haha, had to throw that in there. STOKED for the game on Tuesday night!