Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-29-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Someone has to have learned this trick besides Shapiro.

Shapiro does one in this video at the 2:50 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frgtLnAJofY

Clifford? Rathy? a Soven?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-29-2011, 8:53 AM Reply   
I thought an osmosis was a spin where you let go of the handle, spin and then regrab the handle. I remember this Shapiro trick from back in the day as being weird, but it looks like just a slightly different rotation on a roll-to-blind on this video. In other news, Shapiro rips...
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-29-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Those are called orbitals:

Orbital: An over the line, inverted, backside 360 - Invented by Darin Shapiro.

Orbital 540: An over the line, inverted, backside 540 - Invented by Darin Shapiro.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-29-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
Ray is right they are Orbital. That is still one of my fav tricks ever. Damn Shapiro rips! His front to blinds were epic! SO HUGE. I havent ever seen anybody try an orbital. I bet Harley could figure it out. i tried a bunch years ago and would instanly get stuck onto of the rope.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-29-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7ej...eature=related

check it front to blind.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-29-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
That's right, the orbital. I couldn't remember the name. Sorry, but IMO that ain't no "inverted 540." Someone please explain to me how that is different than a slightly differently-rotated (rotated more towards the rear leg than between the legs) mexi roll-to-blind.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-29-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
my bad...orbital is what i meant
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-29-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Has anyone landed an orbital or a speedball other than Shaprio.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-29-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
That's right, the orbital. I couldn't remember the name. Sorry, but IMO that ain't no "inverted 540." Someone please explain to me how that is different than a slightly differently-rotated (rotated more towards the rear leg than between the legs) mexi roll-to-blind.
guess I can see why you would say its like a mexi-roll. If you look closey though the rotation right at the top is way different than a mexi-roll to blind.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
did you see how big that Tootsie roll was? (and everything else for that matter) Dude went big!!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-29-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
How cool is it that Shapiro has been retired for years and he still has tricks in his bag that nobody touches!!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Has anyone landed an orbital or a speedball
Remember how close he was to a triple frontflip.... was crazy.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-29-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Remember how close he was to a triple frontflip.... was crazy.
Never heard of this. Is there any footage?
Old    fowl            09-29-2011, 6:18 PM Reply   
he did alot of things nobody does too often like vulcans, orbitals, fruit loops, front to blind, etc. fruit loops are about a billion times cooler than tootsie rolls.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       09-29-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
check out around 1:45. Ever seen anyone attempt that?

Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-29-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Can someone post a vid of a fruit loop or point out when Shapiro does one? I don't even know what a fruit loop is.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-29-2011, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Never heard of this. Is there any footage?

The original 'Park's Double or Nothing" dvd footage had it
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-30-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Can someone post a vid of a fruit loop or point out when Shapiro does one? I don't even know what a fruit loop is.
Fruit loop is a ts frontroll with a backside 360 handle pass. Like a Tootsie roll but with a full 3.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-30-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
How 1:21 in that vid that Drew Posted, BS 180 Over the rope! And at 1:45 mark HS 540 over the rope, man so much line control. I bet if some one got that dialed you could grab forever in that trick.

Its so crazy how much a younger group that got in to riding in the late 90's and early 00's grabbed on to Parks as the man. And dont get me wrong he is the Man for that time period. But before that it was all about The Scud! He was doing stuff on a a directional board that was unheard of.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-30-2011, 7:51 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QK7TdBtX9I

Fruitloop at the 0:45 mark.

Remember at the og park double or nothing when he was trying triple front flips.
Old     (WisconsinWakeboard)      Join Date: May 2010       09-30-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
Andy, Hate to correct you, but...

Ts Frontroll backside 180 - Tootsie Roll
Ts Frontroll backside 360 -Dum Dum

both done first by Shane

Ts FrontFLIP backside 180 - Fruit Loop
Ts FrontFLIP backside 360 - Flavor flip /Weddington Flip

Both done first by mike Weddington

The russian video at 2:34-2:37 is a fruit loop, not too many people do either the fruit loop or weddington flip since Ts frontflips are so tough.

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-30-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
Thanks man your right! I feel like an idiot!
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-30-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
ok...so back to the question at hand, and maybe someone who rides with cliiford, rathy, or the sovens can answer, has anyone recently tried an orbital? has anyone else landed one?

im not suggesting that only these guys have the potential, but they definitely seem to be pushing the envelope, and ride with the others that are pushing the envelope.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-30-2011, 4:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinWakeboard View Post
Ts FrontFLIP backside 180 - Fruit Loop
Ts FrontFLIP backside 360 - Flavor flip /Weddington Flip

Both done first by mike Weddington

The russian video at 2:34-2:37 is a fruit loop, not too many people do either the fruit loop or weddington flip since Ts frontflips are so tough.

Cool! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a TS frontFLIP.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-01-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
oh jeeze
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-01-2011, 7:47 PM Reply   
its unreal watching videos of shapiro.. hes right up there with harley and rathy entertainment wise.

I still cant believe half of the tricks hes doing and dont understand why ANY of the other riders no days are doing them. Like I seriously have not seen ONE rider do a fruit loop (which is frikin unreal btw), speedball, orbital, rotating over the line and all of the other crazy raley type tricks shapiro does. Im not sure if its just an old school style of riding and its near extinction but I pray someone can bring this stuff back.. its so much fun to watch
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2011, 12:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
how cool is it that shapiro has been retired for years and he still has tricks in his bag that nobody touches!!

Last edited by scbrips; 10-04-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-04-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
I'll field the Fruit Loop vs Tootsie roll discussion because it is one that has alway annoyed me. In this era of wakeboarding, the late 90s, you could go out one day and invent a new trick (name it of course) and for months not know that someone else had done the same trick until a new VHS or Wake Magazine came out (remember back then both were shot on film and could take months for publish).

Weddington and Bonifay both did there tricks about the same time, both named them, but are really about the same. I have been doing tootsie-rolls/fruitloops for about as long as they have been around. They are really the same trick. On a steeper wake I tend to trip across it (like a front roll) and pass late. On a more mellow wake I tend to load at the base more and flip tip-to-tip off the wake (like a ts front flip) and pass earlier. There really is not much difference in technique or difficulty.

Everyone wants to put there mark on the sport. These marks overlap.

In the Shapiro video, it could be a fruitloop or tootsie. Either way it is huge.

Last edited by skiboarder; 10-04-2011 at 9:05 AM.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-04-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Now here is an osmosis!

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...osmosis-7.html
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-04-2011, 1:19 PM Reply   
Every trick Shapiro lands in the flats make my knees actually hurt a little. lol
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-04-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXWa33tUdhU

Check out the end of this video. 2002
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
wow that vid is insane.. tantrum to fakies look all too cool