Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (DragnFly)      Join Date: Apr 2016       07-27-2016, 1:02 PM Reply   
Hi
I've been learning to raley on a system 2, and can do nice big ones very easily, and comfortably. I've recently started going to a circular cable and feel like a complete beginner. On the S2 I pretty much edge as hard as I possibly can and huck it when I'm at the highest pressure I can build up.

When I use the same technique on the circular cable I end up going at light speed and the idea of hucking it at that speed is terrifying. I've done it about 10 times resulting in about 5 massive face plants, 3 low level & incredibly high speed raleys, and a couple of reasonable height but still insanely fast raleys.
So - is it possible to over edge it, and go too fast? Am I over cooking the cut, do I need to huck earlier before I break the sound barrier - or am I simply being a complete homo in need of bigger kahoonas?
Thanks
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-27-2016, 3:07 PM Reply   
It's not about speed, it's about leverage. There's probably an ideal spot at the cable to try a raley specifically, and everyone has their own preference. When the carrier hits the tower, you just want to roll your edge in and away, and as it yanks, "scoop" or throw it up and back, as you get lifted by the rope.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-28-2016, 4:07 PM Reply   
While S2.0's are great for learning air, the upward pull allows you to 'cheat', therefore not learning good technique, Trust me, I did the same as you. I had a bag full of air tricks on the s2 and then thought I'd go to full cable. and got worked!!! Here's some tips that helped me move to the full cable,

On the sys 2
- lengthen the line. I'd suggest by 2-3 feet, and keep lengthening it once you get comfortable until the line is so long it doesn't feel like it is pulling you up anymore. Concentrate on being tall, progressing your edge and not easing off to scoop (the main reason I got worked!)

Move to full cable:
- SLOWLY progressive edge. You don't have to go hard. Watch the good guys - they need almost nothing. Build up until 80-90% then scoop. As you get better, you can go to 100% and give it a little burst before the scoop.
- Chest up, arms in, hips forward weight 60% back foot, front leg almost straight. DO not ease off to scoop, You will lose all tension & therefore air. This is why going too fast = disaster. You can't control the cut/scoop and end up with arms out, butt out and no height.
- Talk to the operator. Some are better than others at teaching. Get them to watch you.

Also footage would be awesome
Old     (DragnFly)      Join Date: Apr 2016       08-01-2016, 4:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll be sure to grill the operator next time, and will see if I can set up my phone to film some.
Helpful stuff Razor - thnx. Glad it's not just me!