Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (echo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-07-2016, 4:32 PM Reply   
Need some help landing a toeside w2w. Hate to say it, but I've been working on it for a while. I've stuck a few really clean ones, perfect pop, standing tall, and a clean ride away, but struggling to make it consistent.

Thanks for any pointers.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-07-2016, 4:42 PM Reply   
Seems like you're landing heel heavy! (since you're falling out the back onto your butt)
~ which could be because you're locking on your eyes on the wake -> Try to look at the far horizon!
~ or because you're taking off backseat, it looked like the board got a bit in front of you at 0:09 -> I was taught to take off & land with your "t!ts over your toes!"

I'm sure others will have more tips for you! You're right there though!
Keep trying and please post a video after you nail a few!!!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-07-2016, 5:28 PM Reply   
Put a 180 on it. Be easier to land.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-07-2016, 6:18 PM Reply   
Looking good! You're actually in a pretty good position, just need to tweak it a slight bit, but it's an easy fix. When you come off the wake, you're letting your legs and board get a little bit ahead of you, which means that you're letting off before you get to the wake just a sliiiiight bit. Make sure you edge the whole way through the wake, stand tall at the top, and keep your chest up when you pop (up meaning open to the shore, not trying to put it up to the sky, of course). This will give you the "**** over toes" position that [b]Vinny[\b] mentioned above.

Good luck!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-07-2016, 7:21 PM Reply   
yea dude, you're right there. I spotted what you're doing. Landing with one hand. you left off somewhere right after the apex of you're jump, rolling down the windows before you even hit the water. keep that handle tight with both hands all the way through. you'll clear it with no problem.

John's right too. take it 180 and you'll clear it as well.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-08-2016, 4:45 AM Reply   
Honestly it looks really good. Yes, you are letting off a bit at the wake. Make sure you are keeping all of your weight in your back (left) shoulder. That is where all your power is held. So when you let off, you let go with your left hand, and it transfers the power to your right hand, and ulitmately the boat. You should have the same lean the entire time, cutting in, through the wake, in the air, and on the landing. On the landing, just be soft with your knees and keeping heading towards the shore.
Old     (echo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-08-2016, 6:55 AM Reply   
Well, appreciate all the comments. I will try to keep as much of this in mind as I can. Heading out Friday to work on this some more.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-08-2016, 7:22 AM Reply   
Lots of good advice here.

You can let off with your back hand, but not until your at or passed the apex of the jump. Otheriwise like Travis said, you let the handle out and lose the line tension that gets you across. Keep both hands on.

You did let off, and stood straight up. The sure sign of that happening is landing on your but instead of your toes.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-09-2016, 7:54 AM Reply   
Best thing I can tell you that helps lots of my students - As you are cutting and approaching the wake, think of having 70-80% pull coming from your back hand. In reality that will be about 50%. I found that helps riders get a little further back in their stance and keep the rope more centered to their body. I have taught this technique for 20+ years and its has always helped people. Another little tip is to stick your chest up a bit during the cut - it does the same as above.

Good luck
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-09-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
Yeah, I would focus on getting more weight on your back foot. It feels odd, but it works. Also, get your board pointed into the wake more. Your cut is a little bit shallow.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2016, 1:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Yeah, I would focus on getting more weight on your back foot. It feels odd, but it works. Also, get your board pointed into the wake more. Your cut is a little bit shallow.
why more weight on the back foot?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2016, 2:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Best thing I can tell you that helps lots of my students - As you are cutting and approaching the wake, think of having 70-80% pull coming from your back hand. In reality that will be about 50%. I found that helps riders get a little further back in their stance and keep the rope more centered to their body. I have taught this technique for 20+ years and its has always helped people. Another little tip is to stick your chest up a bit during the cut - it does the same as above.

Good luck
By back hand, do you mean the hand farthest from the wake?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-09-2016, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
why more weight on the back foot?
It's helped me big time with riding all the way up the wake and I seem to get a bit more of a pop off the wake. When I'm too far forward, I tend to punch the board into/through the wake a little bit (as opposed to riding up the wake), which slows me down and throws me off balance. Putting a bit more weight on my back foot has brought a TON of consistency to my toe side jumps.

Edit,

This also helped me A TON. Do these learn wake drills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAheageD9c

Take a look at this screenshot. A few things.

Your arms are up and out and your shoulders are squared up toward the boat (notice the 2:20 mark in the above video) and they should be pointing away from the boat (see the learnwake drill). So basically I think if you fix your upper body position (which I think will also force some weight onto the back foot), you will get there immediately.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 06-09-2016 at 4:50 PM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-09-2016, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by driving View Post
Honestly it looks really good. Yes, you are letting off a bit at the wake. Make sure you are keeping all of your weight in your back (left) shoulder. That is where all your power is held. So when you let off, you let go with your left hand, and it transfers the power to your right hand, and ulitmately the boat. You should have the same lean the entire time, cutting in, through the wake, in the air, and on the landing. On the landing, just be soft with your knees and keeping heading towards the shore.
^^^^ listen to THIS GUY. He's probably taught more people than all the people in this thread put together.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-20-2016, 2:21 PM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAheageD9c

Here are some good drills to help clean up your body position and edge.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-20-2016, 7:55 PM Reply   
Don't stay in the flats so long, Pull out gradually setup and let the hardest part of your edge be at the bottom of the wake.
Old     (echo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-27-2016, 5:37 AM Reply   
Wanted to give a little update, I've really been working on this last 2-3 times out and making some progress. Again, I've landed another handful, albeit, after a ton of attempts. My cut and progressive speed is improving and I am clearing the wake at 70' consistently. However, I still have that tendency to land on my butt and losing the handle on landing. My main thought at this point is to spot the shoreline and keep my chest up once I reach the wake.

Super stoked on our wake though, it's an old Sport Nautique and we're running about 1,500+ pounds of ballast. Recently, we've added an extra 500 lbs and the little bit of extra size on the wake makes it a blast to ride. It's been dang hot, but great hanging out under the bimini in between sets.
Old     (echo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-31-2016, 6:09 PM Reply   
Happy to report that my quest for the toeside W2W is a success. Thanks for all the tips and I will try to post a video next time I have a third. It's no 360 or 540, but very happy to have learned this trick. A couple things that helped me was keeping my left hand/shoulder strong and what finally did it was getting over my toes. It took forever to be comfortable setting my edge, then getting over the board at the same time, and holding it through the top of the wake.

As a side note, I'm really looking forward to continue learning and happy I don't have to be a heelside hero! I didn't grow up wakeboarding and don't have a strong knowledge base for the fundamentals, so it's definitely a struggle to progress.