Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Lantzvillian)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-06-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
Hi all,

My family and I just got a 2006 x2 after we had to replace our 2006 x1 - long story. I recently had my knee re-constructed and got time this weekend to go our for my first ride since the operation in January.

In our x1 we would put a 400 in the walk through + a 600 horizontally across the floor in the passenger pit. & full tanks. The wake was primo and I would ride 70-75 feet of rope at around 23 Mph. The speed was GPS tested to be bang on.

In the x2 - we filled up the factory ballast first and found the wake to be wide - super wide. For example, I shortened my rope to 65 with handle and rode at 23.5 mph and the wake was comparable to 75-80 feet behind my x1!!!!! This was with a 400 in each locker, 600 in the passenger pit + stock ballast and another 500 or so in the front! This configuration had a wake that was too soft so we pumped the front secondary bladder.

After removing the front bladder, the wake was harder - more firm, and the heelside of the wake was a nice ramp. Consistent, but I had to ride at around 23.6 Mph. The wake was still wide as heck! I don't want my knee to be blown out again since I kept casing it on the toeside(I normally land my elephants or scarecrows in the flats, but I am landing on the crest). The boat was balanced (the rooster tail and the boat was not leaning) and I understand that because of the prop rotation one side will be steeper, but I don't expect to punch through it and come up short.

The old boat I had no problem landing hs/ts 5s, raleys, krypts, rolls etc... but this wake appears to be just off. Weight shouldn't be able to affect the wake's width I would think - is this a hull trait? Are we over-weighting it? I've ridden behind numerous Malibus, Xstars and air nautiques and this is unbelievable.

Although, we had a rough time getting it configured to surf at first... we found the best configuration was port locker full + 400 and 600 on the left side of the passenger pit + 5 people on the same side. Wake is bigger and longer than the x1s.

Anyone manage to get the x2 to put out a decent wake? any help would be sweet.
Old     (WisconsinWakeboard)      Join Date: May 2010       07-06-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Well The Univerisy of Wiscosin Madison Wakeboard team uses a 2007 X-2 and we have riders throwing all kinds of inverts even on the stock wake. You definatly need to do more work stock but with weight it's manage able.

So here's our set up...

STOCK (the rear tanks and front tank). On top of that...
2x 400 lbs (one in each of the rear compartments)
1 - 350 in the walk way moved all the way up...

This set up at 75 feet and 22.5-23.2 will give you a wake that can boost you into the flats if needed, or poppy wake to wake. I've seen riders learn all their spins, HS/TS FS/BS 180- 720. This set up will get you working on mobes if you're ready to push it.

Icing on the Wake...
Throw another 350 against the rear bench with your people weight. You'll be hammering out the hardest of mobes.

The current weight set up you're running is just too fast and too rear weighted. The boat can be ridden slower, the shape is defiantly different than your old X-1, which was known as having a steep MC Wake. The X-2 has a crisp lip but a long transition. It took me and many other of our team's riders a little bit to get used to, as I used to ride a SAN 210 (old hull) for a while.
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-06-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
You think that the X2 wake is wide. If you ever get a chance to ride behind a X45 do it. Know thats a wide wake.
Old     (Lantzvillian)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-06-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
Wisconsin - thanks! No its hard to compare a 'new school' boat to the old school classic wake. I might get a chance to try that out that setup this weekend as we have a plugin play sack fitted to the bow KGB tank.

It is possible that the speedo in this boat isn't correct though since this boat isn't the same as the old boat and maybe its off 2 miles. I know every Mailbu Wakesetter I had ridden on (up until 2 years ago when I blew my knee) was about 2 Mph faster than actual speed. The lip was fine heelside, but the toeside was like my x1 around 21 - a wall.

What is your surfing setup?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-07-2010, 12:37 AM Reply   
I've only had bad experiences riding behind the new shape X2. To wide for its size IMO.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-07-2010, 4:57 AM Reply   
We had an 06 X2 and we would run the stock, plus the fly high upgrade kit and 400lbs of lead in the nose. MONEY!!!

http://fatsac.com/flyhigh/FATSACS.bifh

Part No.: MasterCraft X-2 Additional Ballast - 558032
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
John Pretti has it right. That combo is cash! I use an extra tube sac instead of lead and lay it across the bow seating area, same effect. Talking about it makes me want to go to the lake!
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
I've ridden behind a weighted 06' x2 and it wasn't all that great IMO. It's all about your preference. Some wakes can be ridden great, but require 2-3 times the effort on your part to make it work for you, opposed to a straight up, narrower, poppy wake like the x1 had. You may just have to learn how to ride behind the x2 and make it work.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Some people like a straight up wake and some like a rampy wake. I've had some people get behind my VTX that have ridden behind an 02 xstar that don't like it becasue it's wider and much more rampy. In the end though it's all about edging through the wake. You can go every bit as big on a rampy wake as you can a steep one
Old     (Lantzvillian)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-07-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
I think many of you are correct. It is a great wake.. it is big, but you are all probabyl right where I will have to change my riding for it to work..

although if this boat was new and I had to spend 70k on it.. it shouldn't be like that.

Still nobody has answered my question of how bunk the left side of the wake is. Steep steep steep steep and soft.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
It's just different. If you've become used to one style of wake and change hulls you'll get a different wake. 70k or not. You need to move weight around you boat to dial it in and get the left side dialed in. What size is your crewand where are they sitting? Maybe you should slow down or speed up and maybe add some weight to the front to firm it up
Old     (Lantzvillian)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-07-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
I have everyone situated so the boat is balanced. Driver and one passenger on the right, two passengers on the left.. and any others in the center back.

True say.. I guess its like comparing boats... they are all nice boats, but find the one that suits you. I'll weight the bow a tad more and play with the speed + bring a GPS out this weekend. Maybe post some pictures as well.

Thanks everyone.. I'll add more to this thread later and feel free to add more in the meantime.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-07-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
Really it's just about adjusting. Throw some people in the bow that should firm it up a bit
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
I haven't gotten much good out of a newer X2 yet either. I'm sure it's possible and I haven't spent time with one, but it's not the easiest wake to dial in. It seems to be a really boyant boat. I loaded one up next to our X-star. It almost looks like it'll take more weight to "sink" than the star (which is saying something). It is a wide wake, but so is the star. I really like wide wakes with long transitions, but only if the wake is BIG.

Keep after it. Add some more weight and see what you get. I'd add more weight all around. They seem to like being balanced fairly well. The one upside is that they plane really easily and keep the nose down. I added a quick 1100-ish lbs and the boat didn't even notice it. Jumped right up.

IMO it's worth getting the wake dialed as the rest of the boat is great. Good size, lot's of space, nice ride.
Old     (WisconsinWakeboard)      Join Date: May 2010       07-07-2010, 5:23 PM Reply   
lantzvillan,

The set up that I use when riding is pretty near dialed for the wake. You will have people tell you all different things, but this is what I have found works best...

The previous set up was for our team outings, which is great, you'll accommodate nearly all riders, but for the rider looking for a more pro-level wake (X-Star and 230 caliber) it's a little different (keep in mind this boat is no Star or 230).

MACKIN' ...
Stock
2x 400 in the rear lockers,
500 in the nose
250 on the floor
4 or more people. (one in each corner of the cockpit, counting the driver).
With this set up there will be no noticeable steepness of port and starboard wake.

This is good for 75 - 77.5 - 80 - 82.5
at 22.5 - 22.7 - 23.2 - 23.5 respectively.
This set-up is a slightly heavier version of the BFI overflow kit that Pretti suggested. Which was comparable to the initial set up that was suggested.

The port-Starboard issue is caused by (from what we found) was your 'balance weight' (lead, people etc) being in different areas... Keep all of that on the floor near the back wall or drivers walkway, not in the bow to stern.

For surfing this sucker we got...
STOCK REAR,
400 locker bag on desired side
3 people, one driving, one on rear seat seam, and one in rear corner.
9-11 mph depending on your curl, and ability.

Let us know what you think!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-07-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Just spent the night surfing - Fly High full up. KGB empty. Fill appropriate rear ballast tank. One person driving. One person on rope duty.
Old     (Lantzvillian)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-12-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
OK so didn't have a GPS this weekend, but tried to do what was suggested above. I think the speedo is off about 2 MPH because I was surfing at 12 MPH to get the wake even manageable - before that the wake wasn't even up.

For surfing:
stock left tank
400 on rear left corner
600 on floor left side of passenger pit
3 people on the left side - one on left sunpad.

Here is what we did for wakeboarding:
Stock
400 each back corner
600 in walk through

at 24 MPH.

We were going to go more weight, but as everyone said weight evenly. I think another .2 MPH or .4 should do the trick.. the wake has cleaned up and isn't too steep and its width disappeared partially. Landed my first 2 360s on the wakesurf so I was stoked!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
did you jsut say you spent 70k on a 2006 model boat? even when the market was "mackin" thats crazy for a boat thats 4 years old. I have some property in hawaii with 10 private lakes to sell you if youre interested....
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantzvillian View Post
I think many of you are correct. It is a great wake.. it is big, but you are all probabyl right where I will have to change my riding for it to work..

although if this boat was new and I had to spend 70k on it.. it shouldn't be like that.

Still nobody has answered my question of how bunk the left side of the wake is. Steep steep steep steep and soft.
So no he didn't buy it new and he didn't pay 70k for it. At least that is how I interpret that statement.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
The X1, like the original SANs has a curb for a wake and the modern MC hulls are much more rampy. This greatly affects your timing on most tricks.

It took me quite awhile to adjust to the difference between our 2005 X2 (same as X1 and original X-star) to a modern X-star. I ride 2 mph faster and 10 feet shorter on the X-star, but it was the timing of the tricks that required the greatest adjustment for me.
Old     (Lantzvillian)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-14-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
LEE DANEILS,
Lets put it this way.. the gel coat in my X1 got dimples/cracks and it took a year and a half before the boat made its way to the MC factory to get 'fixed' and on warranty. When it came back the dealership wouldn't even let us see it supposedly because it was a mess. This boat would go for about 50k Canadian with 350 hours here on the west coast.

We had to do a swap which got us a boat with more options, but we didn't really pay much more for it.. provided its been a real cleanup job.. getting a used boat is getting a used boat. Same hours.. anyone else have their dash gauges/speed control go in and out? bad ground I think...

Vision,
your right too.. I noticed that you have to wait a good deal more than when riding behind a number of other boats. I never had a problem riding behind xstars, but we always had another 2000 pounds in them. Were you chucking your tricks too early or punching through because you weren't holding position?