Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Soo I weigh around 220.
I have been riding the marius since 06 and have loved the board 07 and 08.were great.. I broke around 6 boards each year.CWB hooked me up and were great with warrenty and customer service.

Last summer I grabbed a new 08 tribute and on my 10th jump I did a hs front to board snap. They took care of me quickly with no hassle. Yesterday I was trying hoochie krypts and I snapped the tail off of my new 09 byerly monarch 56".. I just took it to norcal mastercrasft in pleasanton and they would have swapped it out if they had stk but they didn't so they are sending it back.

My point is that if u ride as much as I do and are as heavy and go as big as me. Ur gunna break boards. Any brand any shape. Yes I snapped a roam. Yes I hate slingshot. Cus its not FKA....
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-16-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
you should probably just quit wakeboarding and take up another sport like fishing.

haha!
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-16-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
$400 dollar board x 6 boards yearly = $2,400
Average yearly gym membership = $350
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-16-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
What about the hyperlite Marek? one of the only boards out there that was designed for a larger guy... or maybe the LF Lyman?

OR

You could try SINE http://sinewakeboards.com/boards-black-series.html
get a custom made board that is thicker, built to your height and weight and riding style and any other ideas you have and made FOR YOU.
SINE is a hybrid-flexboard company if you are not too familiar with them. not like slingshot and not like a traditional board either. you can even tell them to add less flex if you like

maybe this is the best route? having a board made FOR YOU!?

one kid had one made for him with just one set of binding mounts to preserve weight for example http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/675429.html?1236369818

(Message edited by wakerider111 on March 16, 2009)
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-16-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
Average number of adrenaline rushes experienced as a direct result of that gym membership = 0.
Glad to hear that companies are looking after you with as little hassle as possible. Gotta love an industry that looks after its customers.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
You can be 220 and in shape.

KP, I'm 210-215 and yes a lot of boards will break. I've been riding the Ibex over the past couple years and they hold up very well, I normally take everything into the flats. If you can afford the V2 it holds up even longer.

But whatever you get just make sure you don't slide it and void the warranty, unfortunately being heavy does result in alot of broken boards.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
I know 140lb guys that snap boards.

BTW...where are you finding a gym membership for 29.00 per month?
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-16-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
Cardinal Fitness! 19.99 per month! they are all over the midwest, not sure about the west coast though.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-16-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
You pay $19.99 to park at your gym out here in California.
Old    ajmac            03-16-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
this thread went in a completely different direction im sure, but you all should check out fitness 19. i believe they are in california. but anyways, i only pay $10 a month. they start at $19 a month, but you can work out different deals.
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-17-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
KP I'd strongly suggest riding something bigger than a 56" (140 cm) go to a 144 or 146 it'll help with the weight factor and distribute the load better. Additionally I would suggest to work on bending your knees more on the landings. This is said never having seen you ride but most of the guys I see that are habitual board snappers are also stiff kneed landers too. I strongly recommend working on your leg strength to allow your knees to bend when you land...trust me, after 7 knee surgeries landing stiff is not the way to go. For what it's worth I hope this helps some.....best of luck.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
I have a 24 hour membership that I pay 20 bucks a month in 5 year contract only because my dad paid for a "Lifetime membership"..
Yea I'm 220 and in decent shape but I was breaking boards at 180 lbs back in 2001..or course it was a local company, a bunch of krown's, double ups and such but still..

What I was getting at is that the industry takes care of us and that is awesome!

And as long as I'm getting taken care of I will continue to ride awsome boards and promote them even when they break and send me into a full speed faceplant, Cus hey its like christmas everytime I get a new one...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-17-2009, 7:44 AM Reply   
My LA fitness membership is $210/year. That is less than $20/month...

"$400 dollar board x 6 boards yearly = $2,400"

More like $400 FULLY WARRANTIED board x 6 boards yearly = $400...
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-17-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
i'm still laughing at the FKA...FAT KID APPROVED!!! hahahah
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       03-17-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
KP - CWB just came out with a 146 version of its redesigned Kink board. They bill it as the option for offensive linemen. May want to check it out. Haven't tried the new design but liked the old version.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
I played defensive linebacker too! Haha ill def check it out. Thanx
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-18-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
You can also try the Faction 144. I just picked it up for this season and it is SICK. I was riding the Marius 140, and the Faction 138, and bigger is far better. Highly recommend it.
Old     (nancy)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
I would much rather be out wakeboarding than wasting my money at the gym. I have never broke a board and hope to never break a board. I would say stick with CWB or Hyperlite whoever sale the biggest strongest board and if it breaks send it back for a new one. I have a few big friends like 250 +. Is it a good idea to try to get them up on a wakeboard. I have a Hyperlite 143 Vero and all I have is a extended pylon or should I just use the ski pylon. I have a super sport Nautique.
Old     (nancy)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
I was on ebay. Evogear.com has 2008 Hyperlite Apex 147 for $149.90 shipped.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-18-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
Nancy. As long as you pylon is tight to the boat and your extended pole is at the recomended height it should easily and safely pull those big boys up!! I have def. broken a rope as well.
haha good luck and if they don't get up threaten them with some ski gloves..
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-20-2009, 11:51 PM Reply   
Well I'm a big boy, 330 pounds, and I ride a 146 parks and after two years she's still mint, I might not be the best wakeboarder but I can air her out and take it into the flats on a good day. After some nasty falls the only thing I've managed to destroy is two sets of watson boots! My parks is definetly FKA
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-21-2009, 4:39 AM Reply   
Maybe you should try another brand.
Old     (sine_wakeboards)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
Zane brings up a great point: Riders landing with stiff legs break more boards. Too boot, it's not very good for your knees or back either. Zane doesn't land exceptionally hard, but his 7 knee surgeries tell you that even over time, impacts do take their tolls. And think, if you're landing hard enough to be breaking your board- what's it doing to those shock absorbers in your back and knees.

I used to be very much like some of you guys on this thread about breaking boards. I actually made a point of trying to go as big as I could and land hard to see if I could snap them. Every time I broke one, I felt like I was putting another notch on my belt. The downside was that it was really limiting my riding for two reasons; 1.) it was causing me injuries and 2.) it created bad habits in my riding.

Good riders react quickly to the water. To me, it's what makes watching someone ride really exciting. Alternatively, if you're always riding stiff, you tend to plow through a lot of opportunities and do not take advantage of a lot of potential energy stored in both the wakes and your board; very inefficient. If you can get your knees moving quickly enough, you'll be able to pop higher, turn quicker and most importantly, land softer.

To take things one step further- our Launch Series weigh in at approximately 6 lbs, depending on the size, but the ones I custom build for myself weigh around 5 lbs. I've even built some that are 4.25 lbs. I've given some to other people to try and just exactly what Zane talked about happened. The people who rode with stiff legs managed to break them. The people who were fluid, didn't. It's an incredible feeling to ride a board that's just over 4 lbs. It gave me a whole new perspective on my approach to riding.

That being said, If you are need a FKA board, it's kind of what we do; the whole custom thing. I would imagine that a board built to stand up to some pretty heavy abuse from a 230-250 pound guy would be weighing in around 7.5-8 lbs with our technology. Flex could be adjusted to be as stiff or as flexy as you'd like.

Here's the most critical thing I see happening with flex right now: EDUCATION. I see a lot of information, good and bad, being discussed about flex online but I think many people are missing some critical basics about them. The most important is that flex boards are weight and rider-style specific. A 230 pound guy jumping on one of my boards that I've designed for a 160 pound guy is an interesting situation. The bigger guy flattens out the rocker line and has a completely different experience than the guy it was originally designed for. He will say the board feels slow when he is riding flat and then it will transition to extremely fast and snappy on edge. To get the board to do what it was designed for, you need to be on a board that is appropriate for your weight and riding ability. Another thing to think about is when two 160 pound guys are at the same riding level but have different styles. One is extremely aggressive and the other has a very slow and cruising style. For both of them to have the same experience on a flex board, the guy with the more mellow approach would need a board slightly flexier in the tip and tail.

If anyone has any questions or wants to talk design, I'll try to make myself as available as I can. By the way, I've had the chance to see Zane ride quite a few times through the past fifteen or so years and it's always impressive to watch. He's a true showman and if any of you get a chance to see him do his thing- jump on it, the guy is an animal.

(Message edited by Sine_wakeboards on March 23, 2009)

Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-23-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
Thanks SINE.....no matter what you pick KP just learn to bend....flexibility is the key to longevity!!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       03-23-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
I am back at my college football weight (220lbs also) after an ACL mishap last August. I wonder after hitting 40 this year how many more boards I will be breaking versus breaking my old ass bones?

I am back on a board (LF) but riding like a sissy now for fear of screwing my knee up again. It seems like Hyperlite boards break more easily for me and I have broken a Marius also right down the middle casing the wake but the Watson has really surprisingly held up well for me. maybe I am to old and wussy like now?
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-24-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Right on everyone thanks for all the words and advise! Its sunny in cali and if the wind dies its time to ride! Have a safe spring...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-24-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
Kellen- 0 mph wind and nearing about 65 right now in Disco
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Great answers Sine and Zane thanks so much you guys for being a part of this community!!!!!! Invaluable!

Sine I would LOVE to ride a 4.25lb board if it has a center spine and more rounded (forgiving) edges between your feet. :-) :-)
Old     (sine_wakeboards)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-24-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
Anyone in the Socal area?
Old     (vrider202)      Join Date: May 2008       03-24-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
I remember someone, maybe Walt, posting some photos of Kellen riding last year. He is a great rider.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-24-2009, 10:40 PM Reply   
SINE- PM sent
Old     (sine_wakeboards)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-26-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Kevin- you get me reply?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-26-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
i'm in socal, too!
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       03-26-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
KP doing Work (photos by WCW)

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-26-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
Guys like KP and BG single handedly change board companies warranty department numbers.

LOL!!!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
HAHAH....
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Evan does have a good point hahaha
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-26-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
i'm just as big as either of those two cats and i dont break boards..i can pretty much guarantee you that almost every board BG breaks is either off the dub or a raley...what about you KP?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-26-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
Dude KP, I know it is a sin for some reason for the CIE guys to not ride CWB but try out a Marek. You and Rusty are pretty much the same size and his Marek's are apparently indestructible. As long as you don't slide it, Hyperlite will warranty the board just like CWB no questions asked. Haven't you caught on that EVERY THREAD ABOUT A BROKEN BOARD is a CWB. To me, buying one is just throwing money right in the trash because I slide all of my boards and I will not buy a board just for the boat. To me that is dumb. If I have a wakeboard, I want a board that I can ride no matter what I'm doing. I want to be able to hit rails with it, and then the next day go ride boat, and not have to worry about it breaking.
I would imagine Lyman's board must be pretty strong too as he also puts a lot of stress on his boards.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-26-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
PS I am not knocking CWB at all. I am sure their boards are great and I would love to be able to give one a shot, but it just won't be my own. I think its awesome how great they are with customer service and in my opinion, I don't think board companies should have to warranty broken boards. I surf and when you break a surf board, its broken, and you are buying a new one. It's just the price of poker. But that is how it is with me anyhow because every board I have owned since the first rail at OWC has had slider marks on it :-)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-26-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
what about joel. he isnt half of BG or KP's size and he breaks just as many boards as both of them. hahahaha.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-26-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
Once again another good point thrown out by jason i think thats just because joel is going so huge hahahahaha
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-30-2009, 3:11 AM Reply   
Welp I snapped the tail off or another monarch saturday.. I did a railey a b.roll scarecrow and a few jumpys and then a front flip into the flats landed " straight legged and tail heavy" and snapped a brand new monarch. Obviously this board isn't gunna work out for me.. And I need to land a lil smoother. So after I warrenty it I'm goin to talk with the boys at norcal and try something new.. In the mean time I will ride the marius.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-30-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
Kp- marek 146- pops huge almost more than the monarch and is faster and probably more durable because its bigger. Going to pick one up right now
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       03-30-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
I know for a fact that the Marek do Snap. Had a guy break one and another rip the inserts out. So it is safe to say that "ALL Boards Break". I do think it is more durable for the big guys that "GO BIG". If Buffalo is happy with a board and it lasts almost all season then thats saying something. I think he only went threw 2 last year but he did ride a little less than normal
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-30-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
I was talking with Rich over at Norcal MC's proshop right after he got the call from KP saying he snapped another Monarch. We were betting on the fact that Rusty doesn't ride a stock Marek. Board companies have been making triple lay boards for pro's forever.

FWIW.. The big guys seem to find the Marius' some of the strogest boards around. Stay away from the Platinums and the hold up well.

If you land wrong you'll break anything.

Anywho.... I've been riding CWB's for the last 4 years. My boards have all lasted me all year. They're pretty ragged by the end of the year, but I haven't snapped one. I definitely don't go small, but I have a pretty straight up, wake to wake style and I only weigh 160 lbs.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-30-2009, 4:51 PM Reply   
so heres my next ? how could I get my hands an a tripple lay? marius.monarch.marek???
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-05-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
So I snapped another nose today after 6 w2w jumps and a pulll thr rough water.. I then grabbed the 08 marius and had a super perfect afternoonm butter set hitting all my tricks big and into the flats.. The monarch just wasn't built for me..

I'm gunna talk to my people and see if I can warrenty for a marek 145.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-05-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
maybe the whole flex tails and stiff center makes for a weak point in the middle, where the stiff and flex join? for you and your style anyway?
Old     (hammerhead)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2009, 11:44 PM Reply   
Like, I go all big and junk.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-06-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
KP... Get a hold of CWB warranty dept. They'll swap a broken Marius for a triple if you tell them that's what you want.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-06-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
I have a gym membership at 24 hour for $20.00 a year!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       04-06-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
Yeah me too but if you don't renew it within two or three weeks of your renewal date they screw you and don't let you renew. That is what those a$$monkeys did to me.

(Message edited by gene3x on April 06, 2009)