Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-29-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
does anybody know why they won't get involved with our sport i think if they did they would have a huge impact i remeber when grubb used to ride for them but that was only a short while and i havn't seen anyhing from them since i heard from one of their reps who is a friend of mine that one of their higher ups at the time when grubb was sponsored by them was the only reason that they were invloved at all so when he left DC or whatever that was the end of them bieng involved in the wake industry. maybe it's just me but i think it'd be awesome if they got involved again i think they'd have a huge impact on the sport!
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-29-2008, 10:13 PM Reply   
i think that jaret brantley is sponsored by dc.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-29-2008, 10:47 PM Reply   
i'm pretty sure he's not sponsored but i know he's there rep. where you at Jaret?
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-29-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
Cause wakeboarding isn't a legitimate board sport in the eyes of the other board sports, plain and simple. Maybe Ken Block(owner of DC) doesn't do a lot of wakeboarding? Maybe the people at DC aren't passionate about wakeboarding and don't feel like exploiting and industry they don't care about for a few more dollars. Other $hoe companies maybe should have stayed out of wakeboarding too....

(Message edited by shredsickgnar on September 29, 2008)
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2008, 4:32 AM Reply   
Very well put Nick.

DC is a part of Quiksilver and if you haven't noticed Quik has been spending a ton of money for marketing in wakeboarding for the last several years. I'd say DC has a very legitimate reason to stay on the skate side of things and it's actually pretty simple if you think about it. I am sure DC is focused on the skate industry and won't veer from that....who could blame them? That's where they started!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-30-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
I think Josh Sanders rides for DC. At least it says so on his website.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
DC has been focusing on getting into the snowboard industry with this year releasing boards. They've had boots and outwear for a while.

Even with DC as big as they are im sure they can only afford to invest into one new major sport at a time. I highly doubt with them making snowboards now theyll open up a wakeboard division too.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
There are a lot of skate companies that won't have anything to do with wakeboarding. A friend of mine opened up a board shop and in the beggining was a wake skate surf shop. When he began to expand he was told by most skate companies that it would be better not to mention that he was involved with wakeboarding because skaters do not see wakeboarding as a legit sport
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
its pretty funny to hear all of this legit vs. non legit sport stuff.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
didnt hyperlite goto dc to help design / build last years murry and byerly closed toe boots. The tounges fit horrible just like dc snowboard boots. Hyperlite redisigned the tounge this year to wrap around it looks a lot better. What are all of you looking for DC to do for wakeboarding. A binding only company would be cool but so many have failed in the past (nice solebound, subrosa, wileys ect.) It would take a revolutionary design to shake things up.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-30-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
No they were just made at the same factory that DC makes their shoes at. Nothing to do with design.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
If wakeboarding is not a legitimate sport then what exactly is it?? Where do they get off deciding what is legit and what is not?
I don't particularly like skateboarding but I don't slam their sport so why slam ours.I also think the prize money for what they do is ridiculous. Or maybe I am just jealous
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-30-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
probally because they look at it as a rich mans sport. Skateboarding is just you and your board and you can ride whatever you can find. prob also cause its know competeting with other boardsports for popularity such as snowboarding which is taking off huge.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
those guys make RIDICULIOUS amts of money. ABSURD
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
Golf is expensive. That's probably not legit to them either.
Wakeboarding is expensive but so what? Doesn't make it less legit. Do these guys with their skateboards tucked under their arm with their "cheap" sport think they would have much of a sport without the expensive arena's that sponsors build for them to showcase their talents. And again, prize money out of all proportion to the risk involved.
It sounds like a rant but I get really pissed when they decide what is legit.Maybe all that money has given them a unrealistic sense of their legitimacy,
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-30-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
golf isnt a legit boardsport theres no boards involved.

Jr they make super loot kinda crazy how they would have a double standard. he avg skater doent ride in a huge areana they ride on the street or maybe a area park. I dont know if its the pros that have that mindset or the reg skaters. I would think the pros dont think about it. maybe its the companies that act like that but hell most of them are into wake related stuff too.

(Message edited by nsolis220 on September 30, 2008)
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
I think a lot of board sports go hand in hand and there isn't a real "legit" battle, it's just what people specialize in! DVS and a few other shoe companies are nice in our industry for WakeSkate shoes and such, and reef has made a huge impact on our industry coming from surfing, but DC has such a solid reputation in Skate and Snow that why veer into the wake part of things? Snowboarding is an expensive boardsport to, lift tickets, 800+ dollar set ups, travel to places to ride there's obviously not as many spots to snowboard as to wakeboard, or they aren't as spread out at least. I'm sure DC has their reasons and as far as the Skaters not thinking our sport is legit, I know plenty of wakeboarders that kill it on the concrete, and plenty of skaters that kill it on the wake.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-30-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
i dont know why shoe companies would get involved in wakeboarding unless they made bindings. shoe companies involved in wakeskating makes sense since they use the product in the sport.
also DC shoes have always had so much padding in them that they get super heavy when they get wet.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding isn't legit mainly for 3 reasons.

1. Money, its a rich mans sport. You need to have a nice boat to get really good. Surfing, snowboarding or skating all you need is the board. Snowboarding, doesn't require a lift ticket and even with buying a seasons pass, its still cheaper than a boat.

2. The terrain is mostly constant. This is one of the main things that makes skateboarding/snowboarding/surfing exciting. Watching someone adapt to the terrain around them. There is almost no adapting in wakeboarding, you learn to ride with a wake. Also there is a limit to how big you can go in wakeboarding. There is no adventure in wakeboarding, going to ride a new spot doesn't change the terrain.

3. Compared to the other board sports there is almost no risk factor. Landing on water is mellow compared to falling 50 feet out of the air at 30mph on a snowboard jump or hucking yourself down a 20 stair on a skateboard. This makes it easier for people to learn tricks cause it doesn't seperate the truely talented and gnarly guys from the people with out natural talent. Because anyone willing to take falls with some coaching can learn any wakeboard trick. And since landing on your head in wakeboarding doesn't constitute a season ender like it does in snowboarding or skating that lets the less talented get good through repetition.

Furthermore, the payouts in skateboarding is proportional to the number of people that do it. Skateboarding is the biggest sport in America for teens and young adults. So thats why skate contests have large payouts, because they have a large audiences.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-30-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
It is probably the same reason Volcom isn't in wake, it wasn't the founders passion so they had no desire to support it.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-30-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
DVS is into wakeboarding and they have the best skate shoes anyway, so support the companies that support our sport, Osiris as well do a lot in my area of DFW for Wake.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-30-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
I think you can draw a lot of similarities between halfpipe skating and especially halfpipe snowboarding to the static nature of wake riding.

Ever heard of a knee slide?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
I agree with you John. The one that is really different is surfing as your "playground" is in constant motion and therefore always changing.
One skateboard competition site looks very much like another. As does a competition wakeboard site.

As for there being almost no risk factor compared to other boardsports...............?
How many pros go thru a career without surgery?

And constant repetition is not going to turn everyone into a Philip Soven.Good maybe ,but the inherently talented will always rise to the top. In any sport.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-30-2008, 7:25 PM Reply   
I have DC board shorts & DVS wakeskate shoes...there pretty awesome. How much more can a skate shoe company really do?
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
everybody raises some really good points i know i rock my DC boardshorts when i ride in fact there my favorite pair i just think they could at least slowly start getting invloved and maybe someday be as invloved as they are with there other teams
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
Halfpipe doesn't represent the whole of those sports at all though. Skateboarding and snowboarding are about finding new terrain to shred. There isn't much new terrain to be had wakeboarding.

Ever heard of decking out? or slamming to the flat bottom? or Both in succession?

A skateboard comp may look similar but almost any given video part won't.

Pros get knee surgery cause they can't take 30 flat landings everyday so their knees give out after time. The risk factor I'm talking about learning tricks, if somebody wants to learn a flip on a wakeboard I tell them to go for it. Nothing is going to happen to them if they land on their head or take an end catch. If someone wants to learn to flip on a snowboard or hit a 60 ft table, I have a chat with them about it first making sure they know if they land on their head its more than likely they will be paralyzed or even die. Then I assess their skill level to either encourage them or discourage them. Say what you want but skating/surfing/snowboarding are way more gnarly and dangerous than wakeboarding.

I'm not saying they will turn into Philip, but I'm saying they could easily be on the level say with Jack Blogett, Robby Carter, or Aaron Aurbury. Now I know those guys don't get to ride as much as other pros so thats in no way a dis on them. But say a kid gets to take 3 sets a day at OWC being coached by who ever coaches there. It would almost be expected that they be that good.
Old    walt            09-30-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
I guess going into a coma, compound fractures and death aren't dangerous enough to be legit.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-30-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
you know all this talk about whether wakeboarding is legit or not, WHO CARES!!! Its our sport, we love it, we have fun, so who cares what the other sports have to say about it. What, I supposed to apologize for the water being softer? I have to feel ashamed for the wake being about the same everytime?

I love all board sports but wakeboarding is my favorite, not because its "easier", its because when I'm on the water, whether behind the boat or at the cable, I feel alive. I grew up on the water and the happiness I get from being on the lake is greater than any other place on earth. You know what, I like that fact I can try something crazy and know I don't have to go to the hospital after. If that makes us pussys then so what. We get to keep riding while the other "legits" are hooked up to I.V.s. HA!! Broken bones might make you think your tough, but while you'll wishing you where out there, WE ARE. Just because the wakes are similar, the spots are different and each lake offers its own beauty. I prefer the look of a glassy lake to just about anywhere on earth.

So instead of everyone getting wrapped up in this "LEGIT" aspect, I say F that, don't worry about what they think and go out and shred that water and make yourself happy. Look all action sports need to support one another, not try to compare each other. We are a small enough community as it is and saying one is better than another is just hurting all the sports, making us no better than some of the "REAL" sports. Thats all I got to say about that.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-01-2008, 4:40 AM Reply   
Because Travis Pastrana does not do it every day. Haha. I know there is a video of him trying to ride though.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2008, 4:45 AM Reply   
I don't get these arguments between wakeboarders about wakeboarding being legit. Seems like it would only make sense to defend against those not in the sport.

Nick, you seem bitter towards the sport of wakeboarding, why do you post on wakeworld?

Regarding DC Shoes, I'm just going to sit back and wait for Rob and Big to sign on to here to let us know what the company's real plans are, rather than trying to guess from here say.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-01-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
actually, someone tried to get volcom in to wakeboarding in the early 90s but they were never able to see the potential in it. Part of that was due to the greater image that was represented at the time.

Don't forget that skaters used to harsh snowboarders a lot worse than they do now. It takes time to grow, develop and find your niche, or at least take advantage of your strengths....

and DC was involved in the industry, but then they wanted all of their wake riders to ride only for photo incentives and not actually have a salary, so that was basically the end of that.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-01-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
DC shoes used to be involved in our sport. I know they used to sponsor a handful of athletes. I think they pulled out in 2004 or so. I could be wrong. They used to sponsor Greg Necrasson and a few others.

On the subject of being legit or not, the bottom line is that the cost of entry into our sport is just way too high. Board, bindings, vest, rope, boat, fuel, driver and spotter. For $35 a kid can goto Walmart and be skating. For $150 a kid can be riding a cheap BMX, for less than $2000 a kid can be riding moto and for less than $1000 a kid can be snowboarding. You do the math. Most people that participate in our sport are middle to upper level income families. I would say 90% of our Pro Athletes come from affluent families. Doctors, Lawyers and professionals. These kids grew up on the lake, had a boat all of their lives and are as good as they are because of time spent on the water.

Sorry just my $.02
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-01-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
>>Wakeboarding isn't legit mainly for 3 reasons.
1. Money, its a rich mans sport.
2. The terrain is mostly constant.
3. Compared to the other board sports there is almost no risk factor.<<

UMMMM.....
1) It's expensive to snowboard (gear, tickets, trips) Palmer had a boarder cross board a few years ago that was $1500.00
2) Come ride w/ me, I'll show you the terrain changes.... different logs to ollie, bouys to bonk, etc... just got to be creative
3) risk factor.... tell that one to my GF who blew out her knee last year & the numerous others that have been injured wakeboarding (while be on the wake, slider, etc...)

Sorry man, just saw some loop holes in your reasoning.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
No risk factor tell that to my broken leg with metal in it now.. in 4-5 months when i can ride again maybe i'll forget about the risk factor
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Solo, I hear all the talk about cost but why do people say it makes wakeboarding less legit? I don't get it.It's expensive. So what. Doesn't make it any less legit.

On a side issue, Nicola went to the Osiris booth at Expo '07 and asked them to sponsor her. They didn't know who she was but said yes anyway. They have been fantastic to her.She has represented them well,they are happy. And they make nice shoes
Old     (mnwake45)      Join Date: May 2005       10-01-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Ok, so I know this is the Wakeboarding Discussion section....but what about wakeskating.... I think if DC were to get involved it would be on the wakeskating side of things since, well, they make shoes.... And I agree that wakeboarding is a rich mans sport but it doesn't have to be, I board behind my parents Fishing boat, plenty of people can afford a boat that can pull you on a wakeboard, it's just a matter of not being able to go as big.

But that brings me back to wakeskating, I really don't see that as a rich mans sport, at least not any more than snowboarding is. Sure you still could use a boat of some sort, but you can get a pretty crappy old boat or jetski for pretty cheap and with winches nowadays wakeskating is getting more and more like skateboarding with it's more 'dynamic' terrain.

If they just want to concentrate on their one of two sports then that's cool, but I think companies like DVS and Nike and Reef are making a good choice by getting into a sport like wakeskating, one that's so young and is available to so many people and has so bright of a future.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
Mike K, I'm not bitter towards wakeboarding. I just participate in other board sports and know what the other communities say and think about us wakeboarders. For example, I was at an Expo in Idaho where there was a wakeboard pool winch event along with skateboarding, BMX, and a host of other activities. I got there early and was not in my wakeboard attire. When I'm not wearing board shorts I usually look like a dirty skate kid. So I started hanging out with some skaters and helped setup the skate park. I end up talking to a guy from Rome Snowboards, a sponsored rider that showed up to this event. We start talking about the wakeboard rail jam and he thought it was neat that wakeboarders were trying to do something different than just stay behind the boat. This discussion went on for a while, we talked about the kind of money you have to have to wakeboard and the limitations of wakeboarding. To make a long story short He didn't care for wakeboarding or think it was legit as say snowboarding or skating. He thought it would be a cool hobby in the summer. This is what most of the people that I've encountered from other board sports think of us.

Forrest, a snowboard is not as expensive as a boat.
I ride different terrain wakeboarding as much as anyone, but the wake is still the main focus. It's like basing a professional snowboard career around one 10 ft table top. I'm not try to say that the risk factor isn't there for wakeboarding. I'm say two thing really.
1. The other board sports don't perceive wakeboarding as dangerous because most of their experiences with water are different then ours. They watch a video and see a wakeboarder fall 20ft out of the air and dive in and the rider is fine. The same scenario in snowboard or skateboard would likely result in a broken back, neck, shoulder or death.

2. Skateboarding, Snowboarding, and Surfing are more dangerous in almost every scenario, with possibly the exception of wakeboarding on rails. Still, it would depend on the setup. Snowboarders regularly jump hundreds of feet over table tops, and steep downs on to a harder surface. Every trick a skateboarder does is on concrete, even with less speed than a wakeboard this surface is much less forgiving. Surfing is in the open ocean dealing with a violent force of nature.

Cost is a factor but its not the main one I feel like, It's because you need a boat or something to pull you, to do the activity. It's not as free as the other sports cause you are tied to the boat.

Listen, I like to wakeboard and I'm an active part of the community. This is just what I've talked to other people from other sports about. If you have a beef about it, its not with me its with them.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-01-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Chris,

There just isn't enough people participating in our sport because not everyone has access to a boat. Some people feel it's a yuppie sport because of the cost to get involved. Hence we're not legit because we're yuppies or spoiled kids. Not my opinion but a popular one....
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Well they can all get lost............

Or spend 10K doing it as a hobby one summer
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-01-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
i met w/ the guys at dc shoes and we talked about this thread.
Old    K.B.C.            10-01-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
Nick is spot on
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
lol wut'd they say joe?
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-01-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Nick, I understand your points about risk and cost factors. But if that is the case, where is the line drawn that separates legit from not legit and who determines it? Say we decide that wakeboarding is "not legit" because it has the least risk and costs the most and eliminate it from the list. Using your examples, we have surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding left. Between those 3, you could say snowboarding has the least risk, so does that now make snowboarding "not legit?"

And what exactly makes one skater's opinion of wakeboarding the end all? I would think any professional athlete who dedicates their life to a certain sport and makes a living off of it would believe in it more than other sports. I can't imagine that in an interview after winning a Pro Tour stop, Soven would start bashing the sport and saying how it's nothing more than a summer hobby.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-01-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
well dc sponsers rally now and pushes their product through rally. i bet they started pushing rally cause its in the x games now! i cant believe rally is in the x games and wakeboarding isnt.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-01-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
^^Well, Ken Block Is an amazing rally car racer, and competes at a ridiculous level. therefore, he is well known and gets alot of attention. As Nick said, Ken Block is the owner of DC inc. What better way for the owner of a company to advertise his product than through the X Games? I think the people at DC are doing what feels right for them and just doing whatever they feel is right. If they aren't getting involved in wakeboarding, oh well. We have done without them in the past and there is no sense in them to start a wakeboarding branch.
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-01-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
thru my boyfiend, i've had the chance to sit down with one of the Team Managers for DC and ask him this very question... why DC isn't involved in Wakeboarding anymore. He told me that DC used to have a wake team.. Grubb, Shane, and a couple other people... and that they used to sponsors a LOT of sports. But when the time came and they were reevaluating their marketing, they realized they weren't giving enough attention and focus to the sports that DC wanted to focus on: Skateboard, BMX, Snow, and Surf. So they pulled their money out of having teams in all the other sports. I asked him to explain to me then how i still saw some other pros with DC gear, and he said they still hook a few people up and stuff, but nothing like what it used to be. DC's refocused their marketing strategy and I think it'll be a while before they'll consider branching out to other sports again.
Old    dperizzolo            10-01-2008, 10:53 PM Reply   
lets keep in mind that wakeboarding is an infant compared to skateboarding and snowboarding. with the way technology is advancing at the moment with winching and sliders it is pretty easy and inexpensive to get into the sport, not to mention cable parks (pretty much the same as a mountain). I think within a few years we will begin to get some more respect. From what I have heard wakeboarding isnt as much of a spectator sport as it is here in canada, which is understandable because given it is pretty difficult to watch from the shore, everything looks the same from a ways away. The pro tour stop in kelowna was nuts when it was happening. I think that the legitimacy of the sport shouldnt be in question though, in terms of what a sport actually is. It may be expensive but so is hockey.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-02-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Sorry Nick, I just can't agree w/ you still.

As far as DC focusing on other sports is one issue. So be it, ride some other shoes then, they don't want to support our sport. DVS, Reef, Nike, etc... are all out there....

As far as wakeboarding not legit....whatever, I am just going to ride & do my thing, if it's not legit, cool... that means it pisses people off, whatever...I have never been about pleasing people

DC probably can't hold up in the water. I know the Phantom snowboard boots i had pretty much fell apart after 2 years.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-02-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
in the early days, i used to hear that the other sports didn't consider wakeboarding legit because we were strapped to the board. that never made sense to me because i still dont see anybody snow skating. snowboarders are strapped to their boards too.

but now wakeskating has evolved and grown and it still seems that same equal respect is not being given. i hope with all the new cable parks opening up, that the influence will spread and this will eventually change.
Old     (johnm_ttu)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-02-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Wakeskating is 1,000 times more legit than snowskating. If nothing else, I am certain of that.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-02-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I think wakeskating might be a completely different beast given the situation (a shoe company wanting to be involved), and the reasons might be closer to any big company's bottom line- is there money to be made?
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
what is the name of the site that has DC shoes for 20 dollars that was posted on here earlier.