Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-07-2018, 9:28 PM Reply   
Anyone done Synlawn or a similar artificial grass? How has it been? Would you do it again?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-08-2018, 8:51 AM Reply   
My neighbor had his front yard done like 8 years ago & it still looks good. Easy to blow all the leaves off, feels soft. If it wasn't $9 a square or if I didn't have to pick where I spend my money I would have it done.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-08-2018, 1:33 PM Reply   
Is a square 12" x 12"??
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-08-2018, 1:43 PM Reply   
Yeah not cheap up front. Takes at least 5-7 years to recoup I think, depending on where you live of course.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-08-2018, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Is a square 12" x 12"??
Yes, a sq ft is a 12"x12"
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-11-2018, 6:42 AM Reply   
You said 9$ a square you didn't every say a square is 12" x 12" or sq ft.

The squares could have been 24" x 24"
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-11-2018, 6:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
You said 9$ a square you didn't every say a square is 12" x 12" or sq ft.

The squares could have been 24" x 24"
Cool story

Last edited by racer808; 06-11-2018 at 6:52 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-11-2018, 7:36 AM Reply   
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2018, 7:30 AM Reply   
In Northern Cal. it runs about $12 per square foot installed (the correct way). I know several pope have it and I think it is awesome. One of the down sides is that it can get very hot so be careful with your furry friends.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2018, 8:09 AM Reply   
biggest downsides are cost and gets hot in the summer. I was quoted a little over $12 sq ft in Houston. My dogs ( 2-70lb boxers) destroy my yard ( piss and playing are the main culprits). St agustine grass doesn't hold up well to the foot traffic. I opted to replace it with Bermuda. It's cheaper for me to re-sod every 1.5-2 years.That's the path I'm on. I only plan on living in the house another 5-7 years. I figure another 2 re-sods and 1 right before I sell and still come out way ahead. with a smallish backyard in the city @ 1k sq ft...re sod/grade is roughly $1k, while turf is 12k.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       06-27-2018, 12:24 PM Reply   
well - here might be another option - one I finally going to put in this weekend … http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/allabout.jsp
have similar problems with dogs and live at the lake and don't want to use fertilizer nor weed killer for water quality reasons and on the other hand I consider water a precious resource so I never water the lawn despite having a sprinkler system. Goes dormant in summer most of the times and comes back - so normally not a big issue except dog pee - that will just kill it at that point … So was looking at this for a few years but wanted to get house done first before starting with outside. Still not there but got my 2 boxes of grass plugs yesterday and will put them in this weekend.
will report back but the cost of sod (and here it's usually Kentucky blue grass - looks nice but needs water - lots of it) is prohibitive and having a grass which repairs itself sounds pretty good to me. Not having to mow it every week is even better
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-26-2018, 11:33 AM Reply   
would love keep my dog from spot killing my st. augistine back yard. A bull mastiff takes a big piss. not to completely derail this thread, it seems like its more about dog piss anyway.

What's the fix for doggie piss ?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-26-2018, 1:51 PM Reply   
Dog piss is like leaving a load of nitrogen rich fertilizer in one spot, its gonna burn. If you can get that girl (assuming girl cause they squat in one spot and piss more) to drink more water, water lawn daily (if not in a draught area) and less dry food. Different type grass are less affected, Bluegrass or Bermuda are sensitive and Rye or Fescue are less affected. Good Luck.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/a...m?articleid=88
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-27-2018, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sn View Post
Dog piss is like leaving a load of nitrogen rich fertilizer in one spot, its gonna burn. If you can get that girl (assuming girl cause they squat in one spot and piss more) to drink more water, water lawn daily (if not in a draught area) and less dry food. Different type grass are less affected, Bluegrass or Bermuda are sensitive and Rye or Fescue are less affected. Good Luck.

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/a...m?articleid=88
thx man