Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (COV2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       12-07-2017, 5:53 PM Reply   
Still on the hunt for my first boat. Several have fallen through either on inspection or just not quite the right fit. Came across an 02 LSV. It does not say wakesetter but I am unsure what that means. The boat has peaked my interest but unsure about the surf wake. That is my main focus, price point and surf wake. I have my eye on an Avalanche but it is just a bit over my budget.

Any input is appreciated.
Old     (COV2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       12-07-2017, 8:48 PM Reply   
My other option is an 04 Supreme 22ssv. Less money but a few more hours.
Old     (Mazdarx)      Join Date: Mar 2014       12-07-2017, 10:20 PM Reply   
I've been very happy with my 01 Sky Supreme, different hull though. It's not a massive wave like some newer boats but more than enough for me to go rope less. Sorry, can't be any more help than that.
Old     (Mazdarx)      Join Date: Mar 2014       12-10-2017, 12:49 PM Reply   
Oh actually I do know a little about that Malibu though not enough to say whether the surf wave would be any good. The LSV is what they call their luxury sport V drive, hence the name. I believe they also came in a few different sizes so you'd want to know which one you're looking at to get the best advice. I think the 21' version is the same hull as that era Wakesetter but the 23' is separate. I looked into a 23' LSV before I got my boat, from what I learned those take a whole lot of ballast to surf.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-10-2017, 3:11 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 23 lsv, pretty easy to surf with sacs in each rear locker and one in the ski locker plus a suction cup surf gate. A bow sac lengthen the wake which is how we usually surf. And as usual goofy side is better than regular.
Old     (Riddlen4u)      Join Date: Mar 2016       12-10-2017, 3:59 PM Reply   
I have an 06 Moomba LSV for sale... if weighted correctly with a suck gate it throws a great surf wave that rivals most new boats. It is susceptible to people moving around a little but doesn't have to be listed like the Avalanche will. The Avalanche is quite a bit smaller so it will not require as much weight but you will have bags in the seat, while with the Moomba or Malibu LSVs 1100s fit easily in the rear lockers. The Malibu will have a little better finishes but at the age you are looking at I doubt that will make a difference. Never rode a Supreme but have heard they are similar to the LSVs. Be sure you get something with a wake plate so that you fine tune the length of your wave. Myself and friends have spent a lot of time dialing in all of our boats and found some things that each one had advantage over the other.
Old     (COV2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       12-10-2017, 5:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. The lsv 23 has my interest. The supreme 22sp is just a bargain and closer. Neither one is probably exactly what I am looking for. Neither has perfect pass. The lsv seems to be a great deal as well but I have a feeling I would need to do a lot of work to dial in the wave. I have also been looking at Moomba's. Brock, where is your Moomba LSV listed. I am suffering from information paralysis. So many options but just not quite finding the exact fit in my budget but willing to wait for the right one.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-10-2017, 5:37 PM Reply   
My LSV came with both perfect pass and manual wedge, which we use for wakeboarding and surfing.
Old     (Riddlen4u)      Join Date: Mar 2016       12-10-2017, 5:52 PM Reply   
Try this link... https://www.onlyinboards.com/2006-Mo...ina-70655.aspx
even if mine is out of your range I recommend trying to find an 06 or newer because the hull changes were pretty major.
Best setup I’ve found was 1100s in rear lockers, factory 600 in ski locker, and 600 in bow. Surf gate as far back as possible. If you go for a test drive and the boat doesn’t have bags try to borrow some from buddies so that you can ride it. We test drove several brand new Supras and Moombas with factory setup and were really disappointed after riding behind dialed in boats.
Old     (Riddlen4u)      Join Date: Mar 2016       12-10-2017, 5:54 PM Reply   
For more pics. https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/6414645543.html
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-11-2017, 5:04 AM Reply   
Perfect pass is very easy to install yourself. As is additional ballast and you can usually get boats a bit cheaper if they dont have these already installed. Plus the added benefit of knowing the motor hasnt been put under heavy loads alot.
Old     (WakesurfMedia)      Join Date: Sep 2017       12-11-2017, 10:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by COV2 View Post
Still on the hunt for my first boat. Several have fallen through either on inspection or just not quite the right fit. Came across an 02 LSV. It does not say wakesetter but I am unsure what that means. The boat has peaked my interest but unsure about the surf wake. That is my main focus, price point and surf wake. I have my eye on an Avalanche but it is just a bit over my budget.

Any input is appreciated.
We have an 03 23LSV with the Diamond Hull and have had great luck with it (knock on wood) here's our setup and a little video:

Setup: Stock center ballast. 750lb fat sac on both sides of the engine (stock hard tanks removed). 250lbs of Wake Ballast on both sides under the seats. 250lbs of Wake Ballast under the bow cushion. NautiCurl wakeshaper. Perfect pass (installed ourselves and if we can do it... anyone can). 10.5 - 11mph.

Video:

Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       12-12-2017, 4:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakesurfMedia View Post
We have an 03 23LSV with the Diamond Hull and have had great luck with it (knock on wood) here's our setup and a little video:

Setup: Stock center ballast. 750lb fat sac on both sides of the engine (stock hard tanks removed). 250lbs of Wake Ballast on both sides under the seats. 250lbs of Wake Ballast under the bow cushion. NautiCurl wakeshaper. Perfect pass (installed ourselves and if we can do it... anyone can). 10.5 - 11mph.
Excellent video. Couple of questions. We usually surf a little faster, with the same boat (11 -11.5). I wonder if it's because we use the original paddle wheel Perfect Pass, is yours GPS? Also, do you use a wedge?
Old     (COV2)      Join Date: Sep 2017       12-13-2017, 6:00 PM Reply   
Now throwing an 06 Enzo 23 into the mix. It has PP but no ballast. Seems like a good deal and somewhat newer than the others I was looking at. Hours roughly the same.