Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (JPizzle)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-21-2016, 9:27 AM Reply   
I've got a battery bank consisting of 4 (6volt) Trojan T-125 batteries wired in series. When not in use I keep the boat plugged into a trickle charger. However, at some point during the winter (Boat last ran in Novemeber) the GFI the charger was plugged into was tripped. Wasn't until this month that I bothered to check it. Needless to say, the batteries were completely drained . When I reset the GFI my trickle indicator light "batteries to low for charge" comes on. Here's my question.......What is the best way to get enough charge to these batteries so that my onboard charger will be able to work again? Was going to try an automotive shore charger with a 6 volt setting, but figured I'd better ask on this forum before potential damaging a battery.

JP
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2016, 9:44 AM Reply   
Id also figure out why thy have a parasitic draw that drew them to nothing in only a month.

Just connect a typical shop charger and set it to a 12V 10A charge and let it go for awhile.
Old     (JPizzle)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-21-2016, 12:48 PM Reply   
Thank TigeMike......got one more stupid question. Does it matter which battery I connect too?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-21-2016, 1:02 PM Reply   
yes it matters!!

2 6 volt batteries will make 1 12 volt bank, you have 2 12 vt banks. you have to connect pos and neg on the 2 6 vt batts that are connected together in series. might be why you didn't see any charge, may have been only connected to 1. and
Tmike is right, they shouldn't have leaked down that much in a month
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2016, 1:45 PM Reply   
My take on your post, that you have four 6V making up one 12V bank. if so, you need to connect the battery charger to the posts the boat cables connect to. Charger ground to bank's ground that goes to boat or main cranking and charger POS cable to post that goes to main battery switch. If in doubt, use a volt meter to find the 12V's
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-21-2016, 2:01 PM Reply   
He said the boat last ran in November... If I calculate correctly that is roughly 5 months...
Old     (JPizzle)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-21-2016, 2:32 PM Reply   
Conner is correct. Its been about 5 months.

Appreciate the help fellas!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-21-2016, 2:45 PM Reply   
Thought the post said the the charger was tripped for a month. Either way, those batteries should not be dead in 5 months, unless there is a draw.