Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            09-23-2011, 7:41 PM Reply   
If you are there and have some pictures please feel free to post them up. We got to witness Brian Grubb the wakeskater do some wakesurfing, Keenan landed a 5 shuv and (the sequence shots below he actually landed the 5 shuv this isn't one of those intentionally misleading videos or shots where it wasn't landed) d James hit his air 180 to backside switch revert 5.
Attached Images

Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-24-2011, 9:39 PM Reply   
So....didn't anybody actually go this year? No news, and very few pictures. What's the deal?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-24-2011, 9:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodave View Post
So....didn't anybody actually go this year? No news, and very few pictures. What's the deal?
I know! I want to hear about the comp. I saw the results on facebook, but it would be cool to get a run down of the comp.

It was a bummer that the main event of the year didnt have a live feed, but the smaller grass roots ones did. Hopefully some video comes out soon. I really want to see Drew Danielo's winning run! 6 time champ? Damn!

I really wish I went this year. I have heard really good things and that Todd has made it a great event.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-25-2011, 6:30 AM Reply   
RAgboy,

Can you see if you can get together with these guys and show them how to do live video streaming? How great would that be?
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       09-25-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
worlds was a ton of fun. there were a few new tricks landed for the first time in competition this weekend. we saw a bigger spin, 540 shuv, i think we saw the blender for the first time but i could be wrong, and lastly we saw a superman from Jake Mcguire from tripleX surf. It was an awesome event and a great venue.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-25-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
i hope there is gonna be some video and pics coming.
Old    surfdad            09-26-2011, 4:35 AM Reply   
Yeah it was a great event. I didn't have cell or internet service where we stayed, so not much posting for the last 4 days. There were a few folks that attended.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            09-26-2011, 4:43 AM Reply   
Just a few pictures that I resized, hopefully I'll have some more later today. There were some amazing tricks landed - that bigger spin and Keenans 5 shuv. James did an Indecision. Tremendous riding and a great gathering of the community. Jimmy Redmond of Liquid Force was in attendance and I noticed that Tommy and Dom were riding prototypes of their siganture boards that most likely folks will see at retail in 2012. Chris Banks who is a distributor for Liquid Force also won on a prototype from Liquid Force. It was great to see the R&D at this event. I think I got some pictures of those boards.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            09-26-2011, 4:49 AM Reply   
I just did a quick check and can't find the pictures of Tommy and Dom's boards. Dom's board has a single channel in the nose and Tommy's had 4 channels on the tail. Maybe someone got pictures of those? Check how thick Chris Banks LF is - the nose was easily an inch thick. I overheard him say that he just started riding this board within the last week and he won on it. in the men's am.
Attached Images

Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Who's in 2nd place there with the MN sticker on their board?
Old     (RayRay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-26-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
Alex Brost in 2nd and Chris Bank in 1st both from Minnesota!
Old     (RayRay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-26-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Also representing Minnesota was Meredith Kurysh in 2nd Place Womens Pro Skim
Old    surfdad            09-26-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
Podium pictures. I was remiss and didn't get the names of folks. Grant do you know anyone in these pictures?

I can guess at some.

Masters

1) Scott
2) Jeff
3) Mike

Men's Pro Surf

1) Chase
2) James
3) Chris

Men's Pro Skim (crappy picture!)

1) Drew
2) Keenan
3) Noah

Women's Pro Surf

1) Rebecca
2) Ashley
3) Korina

Women's Pro Skim

1) Bri
2) Meredith
3) Caroline
Attached Images

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-26-2011, 11:19 AM Reply   
TransWorld Wakeboarding posted up the videos of the winning runs

http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/20...-winning-runs/
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-26-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
David, Ragboy offered to do live feed at event i think. Dont know what happened but 20/20 hindsite i dont think it would have work...horible cell coverage and wifi was bad too. that is also why pix are late getting up.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-26-2011, 4:12 PM Reply   
A little correction: Bryan Locke was third in the Master's men.
Old    surfdad            09-26-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. I am sorry Bryan! Thanks for correcting that Dennis.
Old     (RayRay)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-26-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
MASTERS WOMEN
1st Saskia Groenwwegen NETHERLANDS
2nd Cindy Tompkins USA
3rd Angie Viland USA

MASTERS MEN
1st Scott Culp USA
2nd Jeff Walker USA
3rd Bryan Locke USA

AMATEUR SKIM WOMEN
1st Sheila Parker CANADA
2nd Jackie Costa USA
3rd Anastaysia Diakonov RUSSIA

AMATEUR SKIM MEN
1st Aaron Witherall USA
2nd Richard McCully USA
3rd Matt Satariano USA

AMATEUR SURF WOMEN
1st Trinity Schramm USA
2nd Kaley Sparling USA
3rd Morgan Tompkins USA

AMATEUR SURF MEN
1st Chris Bank USA
2nd Alex Brost USA
3rd Ford Chupik USA

PRO SURF WOMEN
1st Rebecca Ort SWITZERLAND
2nd Ashley Kidd USA
3rd Korina Smyrek SWITZERLAND

PRO SURF MEN
1st Chase Hazen USA
2nd James Walker USA
3rd Chris Kinsey USA

PRO SKIM WOMEN
1st Bri Chmel USA
2nd Meredith Kurysh USA
3rd Caroline Villeneuve CANADA

PRO SKIM MEN
1st Drew Danielo USA
2nd Keenan Flegel USA
3rd Noah Flegel USA

Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
We had an amazing day on Thursday before the WWSC. Angie and I had a chance to ride with Chris and Stacia on Lake Havasu.

Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
Stacia has a very unique style with her big turns and effortless airs. She is fun to watch.
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
Well, forgive me...I'm new at this.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Wake looks awesome mike! Great videos. By the way, RJ is next to me huge PROPS to Angie for the podium, we were stoked!
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2011, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
Wake looks awesome mike! Great videos. By the way, RJ is next to me huge PROPS to Angie for the podium, we were stoked!
Thanks Robert. It was great to visit with the Wake9 crew again. I was so proud of Angie....She was beaming. I think we have her hooked for life.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
No doubt. I was rooting for Chase, his birthday and all, and was proud, but when I saw Angie up there I stood up in my hotel room and yelled "right on" and did a fist pump. Maddie and RJ looked at me like, "what the heck is wrong with you?". But when I showed them the pick of her on the podium they were equally excited. So very cool.

Congrats to all, we didn't get to stay for Saturday, but we saw very cool stuff on friday.

Mark Sher landed the Aerial Varial on his qualifying run.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783775

That was a cool moment when he landed it and threw up the fists of glory. It was nothing compared to the fist pumps and pelvic thrusts of Todd when he landed his stand up 720 at NWWSA, but still a pretty good celebration for an old guy. ;-)

Someone said said something about a superman? Is that true? Was it landed? Any pics of that?

James W. qualifying run was so smooth. He stalled a few of his tricks, like his ollie oop and stall 360 adding a long pause in the stall showing his control riding revert. It just looked silky smooth, joy to watch.

If it wasn't for the heat, that venue was amazing. Sitting under the cabana with waitresses filling your needs. Refreshment needs that is. ;-) Very nice venue. I would kill for a venue like that in NorCal.
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-27-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
If it wasn't for the heat, that venue was amazing. Sitting under the cabana with waitresses filling your needs. Refreshment needs that is. ;-) Very nice venue. I would kill for a venue like that in NorCal.
I agree. I think this spot would be a great addition each year. This could lengthen the season added on in April or October. Which would be better months heat wise. Any other thoughts....?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
So I heard this officially as far as some of the BIG stuff that was landed at the comp:

Bigger Spin
SuperMan
5Shuv
Air Varial
FS Gumby
Air1 to Surface 5
Surf 7

I guess the Superman was done by Jake McGuire, what!? That kid is so funny, a total character. We bought our boat down for the Tige Owners Reunion on Saturday but when people found out we had it several wanted practice rides on Friday. So RJ launched and took them out, including Jake. We will be posting some of that video soon. Anyway, RJ couldn't stop telling me stories about Jake and how much he made RJ laugh. I met him later and had my own laughs. Funny kid.

Anyway, cool stuff. Would love to see some media of those pics. I have been told some will surface soon from various places. Can't wait to see them.

@vman I imagine any later and you risk monsoon type stuff, you would know better living out there. I understand this was unseasonably hot this year, so maybe a good time of year, just not so good this year.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
Further update:

Quote:
Superman Jake McGuire
5Shuv Keenan
Air Var Sher
FS Gumby Danielo (BUT he is not calling it that due to the 90 degree shuv w/270 vs 180, officially it was captured & scored as FS gumby)
A1 to 5 James
Surf 7 Becci

That FS gumby goes down in history, but the board or the varial never get 180 so it deserves its own name. Drew agrees, and has not named it. For the sake of the 2011 WWSC, that is how it was captured.
I have heard Air Var, Air Varial, but I really like Aerial Varial. Fun to say. ;-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-27-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
Surfstyle backside switch 360 by Korina
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
Yes, of course. But I thought she already had landed that in competition? Definitely an amazing trick. I watched on a video today of Mark Sher doing that, of course not switch. And her technique looks as clean as his. Pretty cool.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
What Drew did was a Front Shuv Revert. It is done in skateboarding and wakeskating. It is a really cool looking trick. I have tried a few back shuv reverts (not even close haha), but now seeing Drew do a front shuv revert, the might actually be a little easier to stick.
Old    surfdad            09-27-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Josh Sleigh originally did that trick backside air with a body varial to land frontside switch, back in '04, but with an Indy Grab. Josh named it the "Sack Lunch" and Transworld Surf had a contest where readers named the trick and the winner got one of Josh's boards. The trick was renamed the "Crazy Chester." That was landed way back in the day in one of the Clear Lake contests.

Todd updated the Pro divisions with first thru sixth or all riders in the division, my best cut 'n paste effort.

MASTERS WOMEN

1st Saskia Groenwwegen NETHERLANDS
2nd Cindy Tompkins USA
3rd Angie Viland USA

MASTERS MEN

1st Scott Culp USA
2nd Jeff Walker USA
3rd Bryan Locke USA

AMATEUR SKIM WOMEN

1st Sheila Parker CANADA
2nd Jackie Costa USA
3rd Anastaysia Diakonov RUSSIA

AMATEUR SKIM MEN

1st Aaron Witherall USA
2nd Richard McCully USA
3rd Matt Satariano USA

AMATEUR SURF WOMEN

1st Trinity Schramm USA
2nd Kaley Sparling USA
3rd Morgan Tompkins USA

AMATEUR SURF MEN

1st Chris Bank USA
2nd Alex Brost USA
3rd Ford Chupik USA

PRO SURF WOMEN

1st Rebecca Ort SWITZERLAND
2nd Ashley Kidd USA
3rd Korina Smyrek SWITZERLAND
4th Yana Glumilina RUSSIA
5th Stacia Bank USA

PRO SURF MEN

1st Chase Hazen USA
2nd James Walker USA
3rd Chris Kinsey USA
4th Jake McGuire USA
5th Alec Wood USA
6th Mark Sher USA

PRO SKIM WOMEN

1st Bri Chmel USA
2nd Meredity Kurysh USA
3rd Caroline Villeneuve CANADA
4th Jaqualine Fort USA
5th Gabriela Diaz ARGENTINA
6th Joanie Trudel CANADA

PRO SKIM MEN

1st Drew Danielo USA
2nd Keenan Flegel USA
3rd Noah Flegel USA
4th Dominic Lagace CANADA
5th Tommy Czeschin USA
6th Sean Cummings USA
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-27-2011, 6:13 PM Reply   
My trick was not a FS Gumby Shuv. That would be a full 180 shuv it with a backside body variel going a full 180. It is not a FS Shuv Revert either. That would be a full fs 180 shuv into a backside 180. see herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z00xXInDE4M
What I did is a front shuv but you also do a backside body variel. However your board and body meet at 90 degrees. So not a full shuv not and not a full body variel. More like a front shuv to to backside boardslide if you will. When you catch it you stall on the lip like a boardslide but instead of just turning out you do a complete backside 3 out of it.
That was confusing I will post a video clip of it from inside the boat to show it better.

The contest was great. There was some awesome riding. I think in the skim division we all could have rode better. I had a first pass down but never worked on a second pass. HAHA So I had to wing that part. James and Chase were shredding as usual and there were some up and coming young guys that were killing. Awesome event and by far the best Worlds we have seen yet. Hats off to Todd Gaughan and Centurion boats for there hard work and making a great event. Video coming soon of the trick. I am working on a name.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-27-2011, 6:19 PM Reply   
It wont let me load my movie file. Watch the transworld video and you will see the difference between the fs shuv revert and what I do. It is a fun trick and and gave me alot of ideas for new ones!!!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-28-2011, 12:22 AM Reply   
@drew Y, it seems like one of the shortcomings of the points system when a trick is thrown that's not on the list. Todd said it was scored as a FS Gumby, but they knew that wasn't what you did. Always something to work out. ;-) Anyway, I watched your run, amazing stuff and pretty amazing to do that 6 times. Hat's off to you.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-28-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
here are the winning runs on slayshtank.

http://slayshtank.com/2011/09/watch-...-championship/
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-28-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
@Robert. I had once proposed offering riders an opportunity to provide a known-trick list, a resume of sorts. The list includes tricks the rider claims they can pull off and tricks the judges may or may not see. This would cover Drew’s case. IMO a difficult trick that no one else is doing/can do carries a lot value. The riders list should be kept private, only the organizers and judges should see the list prior to the event/run.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-30-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
PHP Code:
I was so proud of Angie....She was beamingI think we have her hooked for life
Mike, that is so cool that Angie made the podium in the Women's Masters. Wish we could have been there to see her run. Was she riding Jeff's SoulCraft board in the picture?
I can't wait to surf with you guys next spring when I get the ok to ride again. Tell her congratulations for me!
Sue
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-30-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
not sure why my quote came out in color
what did I do?
Old     (vman)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-30-2011, 10:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu View Post
Mike, that is so cool that Angie made the podium in the Women's Masters. Wish we could have been there to see her run. Was she riding Jeff's SoulCraft board in the picture?
I can't wait to surf with you guys next spring when I get the ok to ride again. Tell her congratulations for me!
Sue
Thanks Sue, I will pass on your kind words. She rides the yellow SoulCraft Jetty. She's having Jeff make her a bright pink one to match her bikini (she loves to accessorize)

We missed you at the event...Get well soon and we will see you next season.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-03-2011, 11:05 PM Reply   
So I showed DJ Jamez video of Jake McGuire practicing his "superman". He said that trick, the way he lands revert, is actually called the Passion Pop. Here is it is in the ocean:

He almost landed it behind our boat, and I guess landed it on Saturday at worlds. Pretty darn sick.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-05-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
A "Passion Pop" eh? Which scores higher on the points chart? Anyway you look at it, crazy cool trick! Congrats to Jake for landing it in a comp!
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       10-06-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
@timmyb who knows what any trick is worth. It's a big secret.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       10-07-2011, 10:04 PM Reply   
Robert i talked with jake right after his run. he stuck the superman in the comp at the end of his first pass and missed the passion pop at the end of is second pass

Last edited by tmill; 10-07-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2011, 1:38 AM Reply   
Really? Dude, I SOOOOO want to see that. I am going to have to contact Jake, get him out here, and film it. That kid cracks me up. Reminds me of Spicoli.

So on Friday night, several of us went up to Kinsey's room and they had a balcony room on the end of the hotel. You have to picture the sides of the hotel like a pyramid. The rooms on the end have huge balconies. If you look up while on the balcony, you see the sky, but you also see the balcony of the room above you. Since it is like a pyramid, its farther in so it doesn't overhang over your balcony. We were on the 4th floor I think, so there was a balcony below us since it jutted out past ours underneath.

Anyway, we are sitting there chatting and hanging out around this outdoor table and Jake was there. All of a sudden RJ goes, "dude, jake, there's a balcony down there!" He just walked to the edge of the balcony to get some bladder relief. Luckily there was no one down there.

Like I said, that kid cracked me up. RJ and I were laughing about a few things he did on the way home. ;-)