Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-10-2011, 9:09 PM Reply   
Working on getting the boat ready and decide to pull off the tower and give it a new coat of paint before the new speakers show up. It appears to have been painted by whoever built it (10 year old DIY job.) It's white and I've roughed it up with 180 grit to prep it.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what kind of primer and color I should use? I have a sprayer but I'm strictly amateur at using it. Should I spray primer then sand then color then wet-sand then clear? If so, how many coats of each? Thanks for the help!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-11-2011, 5:36 AM Reply   
spend the extra cash and have it powder coated
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-11-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
This would obviously be the best solution but I'm not sure I can afford it this year -- spent too much on stereo equipment so far! Any idea how much a basic tower should cost?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Local shop tells me about $200.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2011, 10:23 AM Reply   
I would agree that powder coating would be the absolute best way of refinishing your tower. Just deal with it for another year as is then do it properly next year if you have to wait on funds.
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-12-2011, 5:36 PM Reply   
Powder Coat would be my first choice. But a two part urathane would work great. Cost about $120 a gallon.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2011, 8:14 PM Reply   
If you do decide to paint, the only paint to use is Dupont Imron. Hands down the most durable paint for marine use.