Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (jcas)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
I just heard about people being delayed from getting onto Naci this past weekend because there were pipe bombs in the water. I looked into it and found an article from last week. Has anyone else heard about this?

http://www.ksby.com/Global/story.asp?S=6470560
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-16-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
thats pretty scary
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Maybe at the main launch area, I was there all weekend and never had a problem from Oak Shores.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-16-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
It was in Heritage Ranch, another private community. I was there on Thursday and all was calm. No big deal, boys will be boys.
Old     (jcas)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-16-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
If you hit one of those bombs in your boat I have a feeling you're going to think it's a big deal.
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-16-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
That sucks we go to Naci a few times every year!
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
was there last weekend and i say we post a "naci dried up" thread. be there this weekend and the next. the water is super low for this time of year.
Old     (mobius67)      Join Date: May 2007       05-16-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
Dude I got to Naci literally every weekend, our boats parked up there and everything, seriously, theres no worries. I'm going up there the day after tomorrow in fact.

And yea the water is wayy low, theres so much beach its incredible, but two years ago, there wasn't any beach parking available

(Message edited by mobius67 on May 16, 2007)
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-16-2007, 11:07 PM Reply   
mobius67,
i'm not worried. i too gotta place and keep my boat up there. it's goin to be crazy in 2 weeks. can't wait to see the hoop-la. it may get down to where it was 4-5 yrs ago, just for the damn repairs.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-17-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
You guys keep saying it's low, it's not low it has just been high the last 2/3 years. It is at 55% right now which is pretty average for this lake.

Justin Casas- I doubt a "pipe" bomb would float so no worries about hitting one in your boat.

Justty- I would not let it stop you from going to the lake here, a lot worse can happen to you driving to work.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
Wait a minute, this is perfect. Yes, the pipe bombs are there and they are huge. There are also hundreds of them. I heard that some were attached to floats with thin steel cable attached to anchors so they float up after the cable rusts away. Stay away!!! Floating mines!!!

I was up riding last night. The water is dropping 10-12 inches per day. Its at 55% now but it will be down to 10% by Labor Day. With all the work on the dam it will remain at minimum pool for 2-4 years. Wave goodbye to the Naci we have enjoyed the last few years, its gone for the forseeable future. Funny thing happened yesterday, riding down by the narrows, crashed, kicked my board off and STOOD UP!!! Tripped me out as I was 150 feet from the shoreline.
Old     (mobius67)      Join Date: May 2007       05-17-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
yea man, youve gotta be careful cuz some places dont even the markers for shallow areas so keep your eyes open

I'm going out tomorrow, yesss

by the way, Nacimiento will only dry up if CA has a major drought, since its used for irrigation. So if we have a good 2008 winter, the water will refill from rainfall, and we wont have to worry about drought for another year.

(Message edited by mobius67 on May 17, 2007)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-20-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Yeah we're down to right about 17.45% as we speak. I figure by morning should be more like 12.25% Not much water at all, even those jet boat guys with the mullets, wearing American flag doo rags, drinking a Bud heavy, driving 25 sounding like they're doing a buck fifty are having a hard time keeping their boats afloat.

14 people reported dead yesterday after they're boat went up in (tribal) flames after striking a floating mine left over from the WWII era. No report on what kind of boat it was due to how incinerated it was, judging by the fire it must have been one of those super sweet B52's or maybe even a Tomcat but one could only speculate at this point. The local sheriff's dept. is warning everyone to stay as far away as possible, especially those visiting from out of town.

Here's a picture of one of the other unfortunate pipe-bomb victims from last week:

Upload
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-20-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
Yeah Shawn I heard the same thing. Matter a fact I think I saw that on the news. I heard it was 14 people and their dog named Skip.

By the way is that guy next to the bow wearing Ugg Boots or are those special land mine boots just in case some of those were left over from WWII era.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-20-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
I think the kid in the vest is the culprit!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
"I never thought anything like that would happen 'til I go to jump off cliffs and all of a sudden there's a bomb sitting right next to me."

Investigators believe the bombs were planted in the lake some time ago, when the water level was much higher.
Old     (mobius67)      Join Date: May 2007       05-20-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
just got back from Naci, theres no talk about it. Lots of people though, and it was fairly calm, level is lower definately.
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-20-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
was there this weekend and it's droping week by week. the flats are starting to appear (shore in the main channel across from oak shores. the best thing is that now i can find all those sunglasses people drop in the lake!