Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VLXPV)      Join Date: Jan 2016       03-28-2019, 1:50 AM Reply   
Hello,

i hope you can help me out, this boards i have locally and i need to chose asap.
Last board i had was 140 marek 2017, but it broke after only one season...!

Murray 2019
Parks 2019
One/Timebomb
Slingshot Nomad 2019
Slingshot PiLL
Riot Bio 2019

I am fairly intermediate rider ( i think), stable cruising, w2w, grabs,180, backroll (although i am still trying to master it) and this year i would like to try air ralley and maybe tantrum...Riding ONLY behind the boat, 2002 Malibu VLX with a bit improved stock ballast.
I am 40 years old, 178 cm and 84 kg.
Also, i saw a lot of people are leaning toward longer board, so i am not sure , shall i go from 140 to 144, or maybe even 150...? I am scared that 150 will be way harder for inverts, because i yet need to learn it ...
Thanks!
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-28-2019, 10:56 AM Reply   
It's hard to comment because all those boards are so different.
My brother rides a 160 Nomad and he has no problem doing inverts behind the boat.
The Nomad is nice and fast and easy to use. It's also nice because it's great for cable as well, but that doesn't really apply to you. Coming from a Marek though, the Nomad would probably seem too soft and loose.
I'd say a size somewhere around 145 is a good size for you that is big and forgiving but not too seemingly sluggish. I don't think it'd feel too big at all.
From what I've heard, in your situation, I'd say you can't go wrong with the 145 Murray if you're only riding boat. Seems like it's a pretty universally well liked board and easy to use. I'm a big fan of continuous rocker boards and find them way easier to ride. Fast and loose is my preference. So small fins are a must.
I'd get either the Murray or Riot. Basically whichever one you can get the best deal on. Plus the flex boards may be too much of a change from your last board. Riot and Murray I think would be an easier ride then the Marek.
Just my two cents.
Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       03-29-2019, 3:52 PM Reply   
I am a huge fan of the Ronix One board. You can throw anyone on it and they will have a blast. Rides super fast because of speed walls, pops consistent and lands soft. I think it would be a perfect fit for your skill level IMO. I would go for the 142 or if you do want to go bigger 146 is a option as well. I personally like riding my boards with the .8 fins in place of 1in fins but that is all personal preference.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2019, 5:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLXPV View Post
Hello,

i hope you can help me out, this boards i have locally and i need to chose asap.
Last board i had was 140 marek 2017, but it broke after only one season...!

Murray 2019
Parks 2019
One/Timebomb
Slingshot Nomad 2019
Slingshot PiLL
Riot Bio 2019

I am fairly intermediate rider ( i think), stable cruising, w2w, grabs,180, backroll (although i am still trying to master it) and this year i would like to try air ralley and maybe tantrum...Riding ONLY behind the boat, 2002 Malibu VLX with a bit improved stock ballast.
I am 40 years old, 178 cm and 84 kg.
Also, i saw a lot of people are leaning toward longer board, so i am not sure , shall i go from 140 to 144, or maybe even 150...? I am scared that 150 will be way harder for inverts, because i yet need to learn it ...
Thanks!
I ride a murray and will be biased towards hyperlite, as I ride for them. but its definitely my favorite board in the boat lineup. It's clean on the bottom with a nice spine for landings. theres no weird selling points or gnarly channels, just a solid all around board with good pop. Its also very forgiving so catching your edge happens a lot less.
Old     (MTH19)      Join Date: Oct 2018       03-30-2019, 10:40 AM Reply   
I have ridden the Murray, the Riot, the One Timebomb, and the 2019 Parks.

The One Timebomb is the most explosive and a more loose / surfy feel. Very easy to ride, very explosive pop. If you need to get more air for your inverts, this board is the one.

The 2019 Parks is awesome. Abrupt continuous rocker makes wake jumps really consistent feeling. Unlike the Timebomb it doesn't buck you really hard. In my experience, it's easier to learn tricks on a continuous board. The dimples give it the least amount of top water resistance of any Ronix board.

The Murray, probably the easiest to ride of any of these boards. Breaks the fins out easy, lands pretty soft. It's just a really mellow shape with a little extra kick of the subtle 3-stage rocker.

The Riot is what I decided to ride. It's really fast on the water and it pops hard, but consistently. Not as hard as the Timebomb, but harder than the Murray or Parks. It grips better than any of the boards, but it's easy to break free for butterslides and surface tricks. I ride the NOVA core, so I'm not sure how much of a difference the BIO would make. I have had 2 friends who only ride well on 3-stage boards ride the Riot, and they both liked it (they also liked the Parks and the RXT).

For tantrums and raleys you want speed and pop. I would suggest One Timebomb or Riot. I would suggest One Timebomb in 142 and Riot in 141. One of my best riding buddies is your same size, he rips on a 138 up to a 143.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-01-2019, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonsorensen View Post
I am a huge fan of the Ronix One board. You can throw anyone on it and they will have a blast.
Rode it once and hated it. Almost "anyone" I guess.

I'd throw LF's RDX in OP's list too.
Old     (VLXPV)      Join Date: Jan 2016       04-04-2019, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Mora View Post
It's hard to comment because all those boards are so different.
My brother rides a 160 Nomad and he has no problem doing inverts behind the boat.
The Nomad is nice and fast and easy to use. It's also nice because it's great for cable as well, but that doesn't really apply to you. Coming from a Marek though, the Nomad would probably seem too soft and loose.
I'd say a size somewhere around 145 is a good size for you that is big and forgiving but not too seemingly sluggish. I don't think it'd feel too big at all.
From what I've heard, in your situation, I'd say you can't go wrong with the 145 Murray if you're only riding boat. Seems like it's a pretty universally well liked board and easy to use. I'm a big fan of continuous rocker boards and find them way easier to ride. Fast and loose is my preference. So small fins are a must.
I'd get either the Murray or Riot. Basically whichever one you can get the best deal on. Plus the flex boards may be too much of a change from your last board. Riot and Murray I think would be an easier ride then the Marek.
Just my two cents.
Thanks a lot ...
This is what i can get now
RIOT nova 2018 599€
RIOT bio 2019 540€
or
MUrray 2019 399€ ,so like you said " best deal" should be this, so i am thinking between older nova...not sure is ti really worty 200€ difference....i doubt that
Also, i have RONIX ONE bindings, i've heard there can be some problem with Hyperlite boards?Maybe thats why my MAREK died after only one season...
Old     (VLXPV)      Join Date: Jan 2016       04-04-2019, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH19 View Post
I have ridden the Murray, the Riot, the One Timebomb, and the 2019 Parks.

The One Timebomb is the most explosive and a more loose / surfy feel. Very easy to ride, very explosive pop. If you need to get more air for your inverts, this board is the one.

The 2019 Parks is awesome. Abrupt continuous rocker makes wake jumps really consistent feeling. Unlike the Timebomb it doesn't buck you really hard. In my experience, it's easier to learn tricks on a continuous board. The dimples give it the least amount of top water resistance of any Ronix board.

The Murray, probably the easiest to ride of any of these boards. Breaks the fins out easy, lands pretty soft. It's just a really mellow shape with a little extra kick of the subtle 3-stage rocker.

The Riot is what I decided to ride. It's really fast on the water and it pops hard, but consistently. Not as hard as the Timebomb, but harder than the Murray or Parks. It grips better than any of the boards, but it's easy to break free for butterslides and surface tricks. I ride the NOVA core, so I'm not sure how much of a difference the BIO would make. I have had 2 friends who only ride well on 3-stage boards ride the Riot, and they both liked it (they also liked the Parks and the RXT).

For tantrums and raleys you want speed and pop. I would suggest One Timebomb or Riot. I would suggest One Timebomb in 142 and Riot in 141. One of my best riding buddies is your same size, he rips on a 138 up to a 143.
Thanks a lot ...
RIOT nova 2018 599€
RIOT bio 2019 540€
or
MUrray 2019 399€ ,so like you said " best deal" should be this, so i am thinking between older nova...not sure is ti really worthy 200€ difference....i doubt that
Also, i have RONIX ONE bindings, i've heard there can be some problem with Hyperlite boards?Maybe thats why my MAREK died after only one season...
I see you lean towards Riot, but not sure is t worthy...
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-04-2019, 8:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
Rode it once and hated it. Almost "anyone" I guess.

I'd throw LF's RDX in OP's list too.
I also hated the new Ronix One when I demoed it last summer. Used to love the older Ones, but the new one didn't do it for me.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       04-04-2019, 8:15 PM Reply   
I ride Ronix RXT bindings on a Hyperlite Murray. Have around 50 days on the setup and no problems. FYI
Old     (MTH19)      Join Date: Oct 2018       04-08-2019, 11:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks a lot ...
RIOT nova 2018 599€
RIOT bio 2019 540€
or
MUrray 2019 399€ ,so like you said " best deal" should be this, so i am thinking between older nova...not sure is ti really worthy 200€ difference....i doubt that
I see you lean towards Riot, but not sure is t worthy...
I've been riding the Riot hard for 2 seasons now. No issues. Hyperlite and Ronix boards have always held up fine for me. I think with any brand there will be some that have some blemishes or defects. If it was only 1 season, that should be under warranty. I'd check wit h your Hyperlite dealer you purchased from. Ronix and Hyperlite all have a 1 year warranty against defects. And if you're buying just on price, the 2019 Parks is the way to go. It's going to feel more similar to the marek than the murray. It will just be easier to break free for surface tricks. The Parks board has the least amount of top water resistance of any Hyperlite or Ronix board in their line up
Old     (VLXPV)      Join Date: Jan 2016       04-09-2019, 1:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH19 View Post
I've been riding the Riot hard for 2 seasons now. No issues. Hyperlite and Ronix boards have always held up fine for me. I think with any brand there will be some that have some blemishes or defects. If it was only 1 season, that should be under warranty. I'd check wit h your Hyperlite dealer you purchased from. Ronix and Hyperlite all have a 1 year warranty against defects. And if you're buying just on price, the 2019 Parks is the way to go. It's going to feel more similar to the marek than the murray. It will just be easier to break free for surface tricks. The Parks board has the least amount of top water resistance of any Hyperlite or Ronix board in their line up
Thanks.

Dealer accepted broken board, so now i am getting a new one from them.
Thats why i need help
I am not buying just on price, i am ready to spend a bit more if needed. ( for riot for example)
I need something that will give me more pop then Marek...I think Murray or Riot,should be better for it ,than Marek?
You have BIO or NOVA Riot? If i decide for Riot, should i go for Nova from last season ,or 2019 bio core? I really dont want to pay for nova 2019, its just too much for me,,,800€ !
Old     (MTH19)      Join Date: Oct 2018       04-09-2019, 8:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks.

Dealer accepted broken board, so now i am getting a new one from them.
Thats why i need help
I am not buying just on price, i am ready to spend a bit more if needed. ( for riot for example)
I need something that will give me more pop then Marek...I think Murray or Riot,should be better for it ,than Marek?
You have BIO or NOVA Riot? If i decide for Riot, should i go for Nova from last season ,or 2019 bio core? I really dont want to pay for nova 2019, its just too much for me,,,800€ !
The pop is different between the Marek, Murray, and Riot. The Marek and the Riot both have the same rocker, but the Riot releases quicker and cleaner, and lands softer due to the landing spine. The Murray isn't going to be quite as fast, but it has a subtle 3-stage rocker for added kick. The Riot will feel more similar, just faster and cleaner.

The Riot BIO 3 core is your typical foam core board. The Riot NOVA is PVC foam. PVC foam is way lighter, and more reactive on the water. If you thinking bending a piece of PVC pipe, then let it go, it snaps back into place. On a wakeboard, that means when you cut into the wake you're bending the PVC foam. When you leave the wake, that PVC foam snaps back into place. The result is a serious kick off the wake. So the NOVA is lighter, faster, and pops harder than the BIO 3 core. I ride the NOVA core. NOVA is the upgrade of the same board.
Old     (VLXPV)      Join Date: Jan 2016       07-29-2020, 5:20 AM Reply   
i purchased Murrey 2019 . 144 model. I used it last year, and recently, we started the season, i went like 3-5 times on the water, and board cracked! First Marek, now Murrey..! so again, i need to purchase new board.Season is already started, so i dont have actually a lot to chose from .
Also, i am a bit scared now of Hyperlite boards...! Always riding on the river, basic w2w jumps, grabs, backroll...

Now, my choices are
Hyperlite Bio 2019 141 or 144
Riot NOVA 2018 141
Rusty Pro 2020 143
Parks Modello 2019 144
Ronix parks 2020 144

suggestions? Thank you!
Old     (broncofan)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2020, 6:15 AM Reply   
Murray 144
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-29-2020, 6:29 AM Reply   
I'd go Murray again if you can find one or if they'll warranty it. Some people just break boards. A buddy of mine goes through 1-2 boards a year no matter the brand (LF, Ronix Hyperite to name a few). Right now he rides the 2020 parks which he likes. He broke 2 parks last year, but this one has been holding strong so far.
Old     (VLXPV)      Join Date: Jan 2016       07-29-2020, 7:13 AM Reply   
naah, there is no Murray any more in this specific shop...thats why i didnt listed Murray.Thanks anyway.Well, Parks is mostly for wakeparks , i ride behind the boat only so i think i should skip this one.
Old     (theloungelife)      Join Date: Jun 2012 Location: Salt Lake City, UT       07-29-2020, 9:13 AM Reply   
For the Parks board, this is the one I was referring to: https://www.ronixwake.com/products/p...ore-boat-board
Parks refers to Parks Bonfay the person, not wake parks.

It is a pure boat board.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-31-2020, 8:19 AM Reply   
Buy a wood core board to better avoid breakage