Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       12-06-2017, 3:42 PM Reply   
This is interesting. Sea Ray is selling out.

http://www.boattest.com/view-news/56...mpany-for-sale
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-06-2017, 5:08 PM Reply   
Or rather Brunswick group is selling Sea Ray.....
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-06-2017, 5:28 PM Reply   
Maybe we should chip in and buy SeaRay and make some decent inboards...
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-07-2017, 7:25 AM Reply   
Interesting that the article mentions the increased popularity of outboards but not the increased popularity of true inboards. Just as an armchair analyst, looking back at the boats I saw in the 90's vs what I see today, all the people who used to own 24' stern drive deck boats are now driving around 24' v-drives. But either way I had no idea Sea Ray was doing so poorly.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-08-2017, 5:41 AM Reply   
I didn't either. We have a big cruiser and keep it in about a 500 boat marina. Probably half the boats in there are Sea Ray's, including ours. But most are used so I agree there biggest competition is probably their used boats. They hold up better than anything else out there and the used values are strong. If your buying a used cruiser there is no better option than a Sea Ray.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       12-08-2017, 9:28 AM Reply   
Very interesting article. The boating industry as a whole is clearly WAY down based on the numbers quoted in that article. One thing has changed - New boat prices have skyrocketed. The industry is pricing itself out of existence. When any product is selling slowly, increasing the price is about the last thing you want to do yet that is what the entire industry is doing.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-08-2017, 9:52 AM Reply   
In terms of new boat production, right now total stern drive boat production is only about 11,000 annual for all brands, down from almost 80,000 in 2000, and as a segment stern drive continues to shrink as the rest of the recreational marine market grows. At one time I called on Sea Ray at three different manufacturing plants. All are shuttered but one now. I think you guys would be surprised to know there were only 8900 v-drive and direct-drive tow boats built in 2016 though.

The growth segment right now is pontoon, which is almost exclusively outboard.There were about 50,000 built in 2016 and that market is still growing, fueled by the luxury pontoon segment. When you lump pontoon, aluminum fishing boats, bass boats and saltwater fishing boats together, all outboard, it is easy to see that stern-drive is not a very big portion of the total market.

Phil
Kicker

Last edited by philwsailz; 12-08-2017 at 9:55 AM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-08-2017, 12:16 PM Reply   
This quote from the article is weird. According to it Sea Ray sells boats for $150 each. (i.e. 380,000/2500).

Quote:
In 2016, fewer than 2,500 Sea Rays were sold in the U.S., according to a reliable industry source. During a conference call after the announcement yesterday, a Brunswick spokesperson said that projected 2017 Sea Ray sales are $380,000 and that volume in terms of units was flat.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-08-2017, 12:24 PM Reply   
Typo. They left out a zero. But if you find an L65 Fly for that amount let me know!
Old     (SurfBoard)      Join Date: Mar 2015       12-10-2017, 9:00 PM Reply   
Yamaha also did some damage to Sea Ray in the 18-24 market.

When those jet boats first came out, everyone called them junk. But they appealed to a lot of fist boat buyers. Had some nice features and paying the Sea Ray price.

As said above, OB and Pontoons.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-11-2017, 5:24 AM Reply   
The options for pontoon is endless. Although, they are still poorly assembled and the materials are terrible. you can go hog wild building on. My neighbors is uber nice. quiet as a church mouse and at 25 plus feet long, (try-tune) cranks out 55 mph. all the cost is in the motor. With new 300's coming on these, its obvious the market is growing
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-11-2017, 11:02 AM Reply   
I know if I am buying a non inboard it will be a pontoon. Room, Speed, Ride Quality all trump an I/O.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-11-2017, 11:21 AM Reply   
^^all day. Tritoons are so nice. Ugly maybe, but so practical.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-11-2017, 11:29 AM Reply   
Pontoons. The min-van of the boating world.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       12-11-2017, 3:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish6942 View Post
Haha. That's perfect.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-11-2017, 3:34 PM Reply   
Pontoon ride quality trump a V-hull boat.... Thats a joke right?

If its not grab your pontoon and come spend a day behind my 47 footer on the river and then tell me a pontoon cuts the soup better than an I/O with a V hull. Pontoons are not good in rough water from my experience. They are awesome in smaller protected bodies of water.
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       12-11-2017, 7:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfBoard View Post
Yamaha also did some damage to Sea Ray in the 18-24 market.

When those jet boats first came out, everyone called them junk. But they appealed to a lot of fist boat buyers. Had some nice features and paying the Sea Ray price.

As said above, OB and Pontoons.
Agree 100%. Yamaha sells a lot of boats and they are taking most of their bite right out of the stern drive pie. However, they, too, are moving up in price and I personally think they may start to see a leveling out as their prices approach those of more nicely built stern-drives and even "value priced" inboards. For instance, the current "top of the line" Yamaha 242X lists for more than I paid for my 2016 MB F22...and Yamaha has so far not engaged in much price negotiating - they are like the Saturn of boats in that way. Not dissing the boats - I actually had one for 4 years (2011 SX210). People compare their MSRP to that of other manufactuers and think they are way better priced, but many first-time buyers don't realize how much down you can come from list on most other brands. From my perspective, you start to talk about $65 - $75K Yamahas and I start thinking they may have hit the limit of their brand appeal.

i also agree pontoons/tritoons are seeing a huge spike in popularity. Other than being unglier than a box of buttholes, there is a LOT to like about them for everything other than watersports.

Last edited by SoulSurfer; 12-11-2017 at 7:36 PM.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-11-2017, 8:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Pontoon ride quality trump a V-hull boat.... Thats a joke right?

If its not grab your pontoon and come spend a day behind my 47 footer on the river and then tell me a pontoon cuts the soup better than an I/O with a V hull. Pontoons are not good in rough water from my experience. They are awesome in smaller protected bodies of water.

MAJOR BEG TO DIFFER. A tritoon absolutely shreds rough water. Shreds. Take a 24-26’ of each onto a churned up roller lake and behold the magic. It’s not a joke. Smooth, dry, fast. Crushes the Vhull of same length. Precisely the reason I bought one.

By pontoon, people are referring to the modern tritoon with a big OB or even a big IO.

A 47 footer. Well yeah. That’s kinda different, there.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-12-2017, 6:32 AM Reply   
Hey middle class family that wants to have fun on a lake. Come buy a 100k inboard its worth it!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmm only paid 250 to 350 for my entire house! Thank you I will pass.

Last edited by tampawake; 12-12-2017 at 6:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-12-2017, 6:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
Hey middle class family that wants to have fun on a lake. Come buy a 100k inboard its worth it!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmm only paid 250 to 350 for my entire house! Thank you I will pass.

It’s difficult to surf behind a house, though. 🤣
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-12-2017, 7:12 AM Reply   
True!!!
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-12-2017, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
It’s difficult to surf behind a house, though. 🤣
Not if the house backs up to your lake...
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-12-2017, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
Not if the house backs up to your lake...

True. You could surf right behind your house in this case!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-12-2017, 8:59 AM Reply   

lol. Must be nice. $ 500k will barely buy you a house where I live. (1 hour outside Vancouver BC). Since I bought my house just over 4 years ago the value went up on it more than you paid for your house.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-12-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I bought my house just over 4 years ago the value went up on it more than you paid for your house.
This thread just turned into a "my pontoon is bigger than yours" debate.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-12-2017, 10:40 AM Reply   
Quote:

lol. Must be nice. $ 500k will barely buy you a house where I live. (1 hour outside Vancouver BC). Since I bought my house just over 4 years ago the value went up on it more than you paid for your house.

Except you have to -sell- that house to get this baller money. The you don’t have a house?
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-12-2017, 1:19 PM Reply   
You dont sound very middle class to me bhahahhaa. Im just livin in the hood with 14 year old POS OG Xstar.

Quote:

Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-12-2017, 2:32 PM Reply   
I was lucky to get in to my first house when I was 25. Real estate has gone crazy since 05 with a couple quick escalations in there. I was fortunate enough to make good money on my first house to buy the house I'm in now. My old house which was half the size of my current one now would costs more than I paid for my house that I'm in now.

And definitely middle class. If you aren't moving than the current value means nothing.

Also, Canada. Everything costs more. The other thread on here whining about $ 400 boat insurance....mines double.

6 pack of beer $ 12-14

over $3 a gallon of gas.

Now back to the regular scheduled entertainment. Pontoons suck in chop!!!
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-12-2017, 3:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
I was lucky to get in to my first house when I was 25. Real estate has gone crazy since 05 with a couple quick escalations in there. I was fortunate enough to make good money on my first house to buy the house I'm in now. My old house which was half the size of my current one now would costs more than I paid for my house that I'm in now.

And definitely middle class. If you aren't moving than the current value means nothing.

Also, Canada. Everything costs more. The other thread on here whining about $ 400 boat insurance....mines double.

6 pack of beer $ 12-14

over $3 a gallon of gas.

Now back to the regular scheduled entertainment. Pontoons suck in chop!!!

Oh how you are so wrong about tritoons my middle class friend. Dead wrong. Don’t take that the wrong way. BUT, a 26’ tritoon makes a 26’ vhull (let’s pick any; Cobalt Chaparral whatever) seem like it rides like a flat bottom jon boat.

Don’t even try to understand it until you try it.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-12-2017, 5:54 PM Reply   
Must be better than the old traditional dual tunes. They rode like crap.

I still think they are ugly as sin...minivan of the water, love that one.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-12-2017, 6:25 PM Reply   
So true. Ugly but damn useful!
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       12-14-2017, 9:39 AM Reply   
Not quite as bad as minivan of the water. I actually would not mind a pontoon (with 3 pontoons) for trips around the lake but I would not give up my inboard. I see the pontoon as a great second boat. On the other hand, a minivan will never be in my garage - ever. I don't care how practical they are.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-14-2017, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
Not quite as bad as minivan of the water. I actually would not mind a pontoon (with 3 pontoons) for trips around the lake but I would not give up my inboard. I see the pontoon as a great second boat. On the other hand, a minivan will never be in my garage - ever. I don't care how practical they are.

How many kids do you have?🤣
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-14-2017, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish6942 View Post
For the record, I have owned a pontoon and thoroughly enjoyed using it. The wife and I have recently discussed getting rid of the Centurion and getting a nice pontoon. Just a matter of when I'm ready to hang up the wakeboard and switch to more on-water entertainment with friends.

Last edited by fish6942; 12-14-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       12-14-2017, 7:32 PM Reply   
^^blasphemy^^
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-15-2017, 4:59 AM Reply   
Doubt I would replace my bu with a toon. But as others have said as a second boat it would be high on my list. Get one with the new joystick controls and twin 300 or 400's.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-15-2017, 7:28 AM Reply   
If a ‘toon could surf.......