Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-15-2017, 11:32 AM Reply   
So my quest for a new boat may come true this spring. Since i live in Wisc and can only boat for maybe 5 months out of 12, i am not looking to spend over 100k on a boat. Just can't justify it. But i can justify a good Surf boat. Yes, surfing is what we do more than anything. 90/10 to wakeboarding.

Currently have a 2006 X2 MC that just doesn't fit that category. At least not without adding 750 lbs to the rear locker and suck gate each time we want to surf. I love my boat, and the quality is great. But i just can't see spending 105k or more on an XT. I can however get into a moomba for under 70k pretty loaded up in the 20' range which is the sweet spot for my lake.

the moomba forums are quite dead so i thought i would ask here. I really don't know much about moomba, although my neighbor has a 2013 crossover outback which he doesn't care for. But as i understand it, that wasn't the best design. I am really interested in the Mondo with surf package, but want to make sure this would be a good boat. Any moomba people here or people with experience?

pros/cons?
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       08-15-2017, 12:24 PM Reply   
Have you looked at Sanger?
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-15-2017, 12:26 PM Reply   
yes, dealer location is key for me. Tried to look at MB too, but no dealers. i am in northern wisconsin. Also i don't like the jump seat in the sanger behind the glove box. This area is for lounging not sitting. Just not sure how i would deal with that. Thats the most popular spot in the boat.

Last edited by hunter991; 08-15-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: just updated, thats all
Old     (dusty2221)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2017, 12:48 PM Reply   
Moomba forum dead? It's pretty active at all times of the day and you should be able to get some great feedback.
Old     (Ride)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-15-2017, 1:28 PM Reply   
You can get into a nice moomba for that price range and will surf right out of the box.

What are your lake restrictions?
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-15-2017, 1:52 PM Reply   
As dusty said Moomba forum is always pretty active..!

Since 2013 Moomba did really great. I can even say 2013+ is no compare to old ones.
Here in eastern Canada Moomba is kind of the no1 selling boat on the market. Like you we only have 5months of boating if we're lucky so lot of poeple don't want to spend too much for a recreational toy.

The thing with Moomba is they made really really good boat for the price. Any other brand gonna give you that product quality for this low priced.
They are good all around boats, surf system works great too, does the job very well.
If you want an advice, if you surf definitely take the pro ballast option or wathever they call it the biggest fatsac option.
For a moomba If you surf all time it's a must.

I had a 2008 outback
and I was really happy with it. Never had big issue in 8years.
Several neighbors have mondo's, mojo's and craz
Everyone seems happy. I see plenty more bu's and tige have issues on the lake.
They are simple boats and it's not always a bad thing! No computer screen, that a pos for me. Less electronic issues with years.
And the only competitor is pretty just Axis since you can't have a MB. And definitely go for a Moomba over axis.
Much more quality for the price (but that's just a personal thought)

Pos and cons
- very well built for the price
- good overall boat
- don't expect a crazy pro surf wave but a good resonable wave that all the family can enjoy.

I don't really see cons due to your budget, sure for someone with a 23lsv wakesetter or a G25 moomba are "cheap" boats with no confort and style.
But they definitely does the job

like you said dealership should be a priority. Nearer the better, try to see if the service is good too. Really important.
Pretty all brand are good at some points, they all gonna "do the job" we expect making.
Personal'y I'll take the closest dealer, see if they have few service guys, how they deal with issues and see what brand they're selling

Good luck!
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-15-2017, 9:23 PM Reply   
My buddy has a Mojo with a darn good wave. I've liked Moomba for a long time. Their boats usually give a lot of bang for the buck.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       08-15-2017, 9:49 PM Reply   
Should post this on the Moomba forum ffs
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-16-2017, 12:27 AM Reply   
Not sure why you think the Moomba forum is dead? The Supra forum? Yes! But Moomba? Definitely not lol

Anyways, I have a 15' Mondo & it's a great boat. Will surf awesome with upgraded ballast (no matter what boat you get you will need to upgrade to larger bags, don't even bother with the "pro" version or whatever upgraded ballast they offer). I run 3300lbs minimum & that's all hidden ballast. Small crew days i might add 1 or 2 650lb bags on seats/floor. Fit and finish is great, upholstery is holding up great, no rips or tears or stains. No major problems, everything has been minor. Basically my only gripe is the size. Once my buddy bought a 23' I realized just how small my 21' boat is, it's crazy. His handles chop 10x better etc. It's all relative to budget and what priorities you have first? Wave? Fit/Finish? Warranty? Etc.

Test drive, test drive & then test drive.

A good dealer should help you sway your decision if you're on the fence about anything.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       08-16-2017, 5:30 AM Reply   
So here is my advice. Moomba is excellent if weighted properly. I have friends who have moombas and a lot of them complain about the warranty or that they cant get it to surf that easily. Once they have taken the time to add a lot of extra weight its good. Don't count out the suck gate, the nauticurl makes a huge difference. Even on boats that are very expensive with out surf gate. This past weekend two moombas really struggled to get a wake, they didn't have the surf gates and once they added nauticurl it helped.

Now second thought, the dealership here has told us they came out with a new better surf model. Its a lower cost boat too. Its a the Moomba max. Its a big boat as well. You might want to do research on that. From the sound of it it might be my next upgrade.

Third thought. I will probably get crap for this. Most boats you can get to be good surf waves, but don't use your hole budget on just the boat. allocate some for the toys, like extra fat sacs, the lead weight bags to help out, and mostly spend the money on the right kind of boards. My friends always used the mass production boards, once they tried out the better boards, doomswell, chaos, soulcraft then have been hooked.

Highly recommend you asking about the Moomba max, if the guy is right they took all the errors in the mojo,mondo,xlv and create this one.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       08-16-2017, 8:37 AM Reply   
Take a read on this thread, AutoWake 2.0 is definitely worth it on Moomba and Supra for 2018. This thread explains how it works and what it does from the lead engineer at Moomba. The new Max is an upsized Helix which is an excellent surf boat in its own right. If I was in the market for a new boat right now this is definitely worth a test ride. Make sure to see AutoWake 2.0 in action on a 2018, big upgrade over the 2017 model.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....Wake-questions
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-16-2017, 8:59 AM Reply   
i don't know if this fits your criteria but this is pretty nice for the price. -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Moomba-...9Ze4d2&vxp=mtr
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-16-2017, 1:53 PM Reply   
Have you looked at adding the GSA surf system to your X2?

I think your will be very disappoint going from your X2 to a Moomba.
Old     (Gotmods)      Join Date: Nov 2012       08-16-2017, 3:43 PM Reply   
Even going from the x2 to a 14 Mojo would be a huge upgrade! With an emphasis on HUGE!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-16-2017, 8:08 PM Reply   
Few Tige dealers up north there . Rock solid surf boats

Any new Moomba I would argue would be a higher quality boat compared to your 2006 X2. Simple as that

Last edited by xstarrider; 08-16-2017 at 8:16 PM.
Old     (Padge)      Join Date: Feb 2017       08-17-2017, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Have you looked at adding the GSA surf system to your X2?

I think your will be very disappoint going from your X2 to a Moomba.

The new Moombas are sweet. He will def be upgrading.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-17-2017, 7:31 PM Reply   
Like swatguy said. Tige are great cost effective boat too, if you pratically just surf you really should take a look at them.
Good boat for the price, more stylish and surf system amazing. Little more expensive then Moomba tho, but definitely worth.
Surf wave of the rzr REALLY impressed me for a 20footer around 75k

If the dealer is near and able to take care of their client!
Old     (65sanford)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-17-2017, 5:33 AM Reply   
i have a 17 mondo and after a ballast upgrade, love the wave
Old     (pat6969)      Join Date: Jul 2017       09-17-2017, 4:22 PM Reply   
Even my 2015 Mondo with manual flowsurf and 1100's in the lockers is killer. Love the boat for the price. Everything I need for a great summer of good surfing!
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       09-17-2017, 5:19 PM Reply   
Look at moomba max. It has potential to embarrass some really expensive boats if wave and wake is main goal.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-17-2017, 8:39 PM Reply   
I would definitely consider looking at a tige. The tige Z3 and Z1 are the best surf boats for the price, judging by wave and interior quality.

I’ve got an 2014 R20 for sale with taps 3! 65k!
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-18-2017, 5:23 AM Reply   
I got to ride behind a Moomba mojo, this weekend. It was really good. It was 2015 model. The wave was excellent, the driving experience was very simple. I like how simple it is compared to the 150k boats. Simple ballast, simple cruise control, simple dash. However, I been getting some runs behind a 2016 Malibu 25 lsv a buddy has. Nothing I have ridden compares to the wave. It is by far the best I have seen. I also rode behind 2015 enzo, great wake. I think if you get a little older it will be in your budget.

Don't count out the Moomba max, Wake tractor 3, and the axis t22. I have yet to ride behind them but the people in my area with these boats, have some of the best photos of some amazing wakes. Sadly all the wakes are regular side, I ride goofy, so I haven't seen those waves HA.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-18-2017, 9:58 AM Reply   
Hey Hunter,

Where in WI do you live and which dealer are you thinking of buying from? If it's Fort Fremont Marine, you will not be disappointed! Jeff Thomson & the FFM crew are top notch and awesome in customer service.

Moomba's quality have risen dramatically over the past 5-8 years! I really liked the Mojo for both wakeboarding and surf. And I got to ride the Helix earlier this summer and I was so impressed with it's overall performance & wake for a 20.5ft boat. The space on the interior didn't even feel like a 20 footer, it felt like a 21-22ft boat. Wake was very predictable, smooth transition and clean on the top. I haven't ridden a Max yet, but seen it in person. It's suppose to be a larger version (23ft) of the Helix, so I can't wait to get a pull behind it.

I personally think that Moomba's overall performance & what options you can get with it, it will be the best bang for your buck. Good luck!
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-18-2017, 10:42 AM Reply   
thats who i was talking too. Seems like a good dealer. Still on the fence but becoming more interested.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-18-2017, 11:51 AM Reply   
get off the fence and schedule a test drive. The only way to know is to test. I know one guy who just brought a new Malibu end of last year listed 150, got it for 100. He got it bc it was way nicer then supra and Moomba. I was teaching him how to set the boat up and all and perfect the wake, he then realized when I told him about prop rotation, he bought the boat that has the best goofy side, he then later said he could have gotten half the price for a Moomba and be for the correct side he and all his people ride.

Test one out! Also, from what I been told this weekend from many people who own Moomba, is if you have any problems what so ever, the owner is incredibly awesome and hands on and has gone out of his way several times to help people. To make sure that they have a great experience even if the dealerships don't. That right there should tell you a lot about Moomba.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-18-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNwakeboarder86 View Post
I know one guy who just brought a new Malibu end of last year listed 150, got it for 100. He got it bc it was way nicer then supra and Moomba. I was teaching him how to set the boat up and all and perfect the wake, he then realized when I told him about prop rotation, he bought the boat that has the best goofy side, he then later said he could have gotten half the price for a Moomba and be for the correct side he and all his people ride.
That doesn't make any sense - Malibu and Moomba both have left hand rotation.
Old     (Rusty1977)      Join Date: Mar 2017       09-18-2017, 3:59 PM Reply   
And Malibu way nicer than Supra....That's a pretty generic statement with little substance.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-18-2017, 9:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty1977 View Post
And Malibu way nicer than Supra....That's a pretty generic statement with little substance.
It's a ridiculous statement.
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-19-2017, 4:32 AM Reply   
I'd leave a Malibu at the dock...
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-19-2017, 5:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
That doesn't make any sense - Malibu and Moomba both have left hand rotation.
tom is that right? I have always been told the prop rotation or something to do with the prop is different then other boats. Which is why BUs have better goofy side then everyone else. I mean the moombas I ridden behind and Supra's it takes a lot more work to get the goofy side riding well. I am curious why though, probably just text one of the engineers at BUs.

As far as the comment Malibu is nice then supra, I will say the only brand new boat I been behind on supra, their 2017 22 ft surf board, I would have to say did not come close to the 2017 LSV 23 ft I rode behind. I also thought the inside of Malibu was a lot nicer. Then again I don't know what options each had if they were close to each other.

I will stick with my comment. No matter which boat is nice the fact that every Moomba owner I have talked to all say they have nothing but good experiences dealing with Moomba on any problem and the fact that so many people know the owner goes out of his way if he needs too, that to me says it all. If a owner like that is willing to talk to dealerships for people and help people that makes that boat company far above the rest. All about customer service!!!