Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       05-16-2017, 3:26 AM Reply   
I'm staying Memorial Day weekend at Kentucky Lake, KY and was looking for anyone that has been there and any advice. I'll be there with the family (3 kids < than 9 yo). We are staying at the north end of the lake. When I look at the map, the lake looks pretty narrow and long with some small coves along the length.

Should I expect that the lake will be really busy for the holiday weekend and good water in the early AM and then late in they day? Any other pointers? Places to go, float, swim, dive, fish?

Thanks
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       05-23-2017, 11:43 AM Reply   
I've spent a lot more time on Barkley than Kentucky but they're similar. Kentucky is bigger and deeper so it tends to be rougher. Unlike smaller lakes you don't have to ride in the channel. some of the little finger coves are big and deep and since they're tree protected usually smooth. Glass in the middle of the day isn't uncommon on those lakes if you know where to look. One side of the lake will usually be smoother than the other depending on wind direction. I know all the good spots on barkley but kentucky is less familiar. I'd check the maps and try the biggest coves near where your staying first, that don't have a marina. They're big enough that if you find a good riding spot you shouldn't have to share it with many other boats. Not Alot of inboards down there. Usually just fisherman and people cruising the channel. If you want a good dinner some night go to Patties resturant in Grand Rivers. Make a reservation since it's a holiday weekend. I wish I was heading down there but we won't make it till July. Have fun!
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       05-23-2017, 12:45 PM Reply   
Was just at Patties and in that area last month. I was there for golfing but we stayed at a resort by Kentucky Lake. Looked like a big lake. Have fun. Patties is a must. pork chops bigger than you can imagine.
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       05-23-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
Also stop in Wood n Wave bicycle and watersports shop in Grand Rivers. My friends used to own it but the new owners are good people too. They my be able to help direct you.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-23-2017, 6:36 PM Reply   
A lot of times you can find better water on the Land Between the Lakes side of the lake (east side of Kentucky Lake), especially before noon, because there aren't any houses or docks on that side of the lake. From the northern end of the lake, there are a few large coves that would be good for riding. I'm not great with the names of the coves, but will try to find that info for you. If you see a red and black MasterCraft X23 there this weekend, wave me down. I'll be over there Friday-Sunday I think.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-24-2017, 6:02 AM Reply   
I live just across the Tn/Ky border. The first bay at the state line (cypress). It's a unique section of the river. 4 restaurant/bars all within 3 miles of each other. Good food and always live music. The further south you go, the less wake boats you're going to see.