Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-15-2015, 11:10 AM Reply   
Check it out...

Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-15-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
I think this is a great idea in general, but once you get your wave dialed in how useful is it on a daily basis. Now off you do allot of transfers then it's great.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2015, 11:40 AM Reply   
uh oh..... #gamechanger .lol.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-15-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   
I think it's a pretty neat idea. When I surf, people move around some, depth varies, and I like to try transfers, so I can see how this would be a really cool feature to have to dial your wake in while riding and allow you to swap sides on the fly.
Old     (Khyber)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-15-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
I like it! Curious what the price point will be?
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-15-2015, 12:42 PM Reply   
I wonder how this rivals the Tige remote control surf feature, only real difference is the transfer feature that Tige does not have......they sure do put a lot of emphasis on the word 'Patented'....they literally they say it three times haha
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2015, 1:48 PM Reply   
I hope tige sues Malibu for a lot of money and wins.. So if I understand this correctly Malibu can sue MC for surf tabs but then the copy another design.

They are always late to the party but some how sue people.....
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-15-2015, 2:53 PM Reply   
Says they have had the technology for over 2 years in the video. Are you sure they didn't have the patent first????
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-15-2015, 4:35 PM Reply   
malibu has been working on this for quite awhile. If anything Tige will be the one on the end of a lawsuit. Same with Nautique when they release their wristband on Friday.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-15-2015, 5:18 PM Reply   
The speed and wedge control work at wakeboard speed/distance as well. That's huge.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-15-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
I cant wait until this is integrated into Google glasses!!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2015, 5:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxin View Post
malibu has been working on this for quite awhile. If anything Tige will be the one on the end of a lawsuit. Same with Nautique when they release their wristband on Friday.
interesting assumption here. So you obviously have insider info of both manufacturers in order to know who started working on it first?
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-15-2015, 6:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
interesting assumption here. So you obviously have insider info of both manufacturers in order to know who started working on it first?
doesn't matter who worked on it first. He who holds the patent is in the drivers seat.
Old     (weally)      Join Date: Mar 2015       07-15-2015, 7:25 PM Reply   
from my understanding and the info I have heard, a little time ago, was Nautique is the one that has the patent for a remote control, things could get interesting again shortly haha
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-15-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
Sweet... Now if we could only get it on a G! Wait... Lol. Just kidding. Def sick technology tho. Wonder if it's battery or charged? Let the patent wars continue!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-16-2015, 4:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxin View Post
doesn't matter who worked on it first. He who holds the patent is in the drivers seat.
that is very true, but it was your point . And it may be true that Malibu has indeed been working on this for a long time. It may even be fact, that Tige has been working on it longer. They did bring it to market first IIRC.

The video states that a patent is held, but did it actually state its their patent? Heres something to consider. Maybe the technology was developed by a 3rd party and not Tige or Malibu. Then that 3rd party holds the patent and has then licensed out the technology, first to Tige and now to Malibu? This means neither Tige or Malibu has been working on for a long time.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       07-16-2015, 5:01 AM Reply   
More Crap to break. KISS
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-16-2015, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
that is very true, but it was your point . And it may be true that Malibu has indeed been working on this for a long time. It may even be fact, that Tige has been working on it longer. They did bring it to market first IIRC.

The video states that a patent is held, but did it actually state its their patent? Heres something to consider. Maybe the technology was developed by a 3rd party and not Tige or Malibu. Then that 3rd party holds the patent and has then licensed out the technology, first to Tige and now to Malibu? This means neither Tige or Malibu has been working on for a long time.
so the next question was that shot at "other comapny's cheap imitation" a shot at TIGE or Nautique. I would assume Tige being as theirs has been out for a year and Nautiques is set to come it at the same time as Malibu's. The do say Patent about 100 times so that definitly gives us a forecast of there future plans to sue anybody and everybody that makes a boat for whatever reason they see fit. WEird that if they had a patent iot would take this long to come up with something that seems pretty dang easy to make. I mean how long have stereos/TVs had remote controls? since the 70s?
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-16-2015, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
^^Haha this is awesome!

I really like the idea of competition in the marketplace, I don't think that either brand should be strong arming the other with lawsuits

Another interesting thought:

They should integrate a kill switch, or use micro-location bluetooth technology to build a system that kills the boat if the surfer falls and becomes too far from the boat...maybe one day we will be doing platform starts at surf speed without a driver......(scary, 100% risky.... yet a cool thought)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCsX8i5jWg

^^I still think there is another person hiding somewhere in this boat : )
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-16-2015, 6:34 AM Reply   
we all know that master craft has been a love em or hate em brand for awhile but with all the new shennaigans that malibu is comin out with they will have surely displanted MC from that crown. But as long as they are prtecting their own brand its OK. I think I should go get a patent for a jet powered car with retractable wings so when FORD developes it I can sue them for eveything they got :-) itll be perfect
Old     (all2matt)      Join Date: Apr 2015       07-16-2015, 6:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideClaytorVT View Post
^^Haha this is awesome!

I really like the idea of competition in the marketplace, I don't think that either brand should be strong arming the other with lawsuits

Another interesting thought:

They should integrate a kill switch, or use micro-location bluetooth technology to build a system that kills the boat if the surfer falls and becomes too far from the boat...maybe one day we will be doing platform starts at surf speed without a driver......(scary, 100% risky.... yet a cool thought)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCsX8i5jWg

^^I still think there is another person hiding somewhere in this boat : )
has to be a jetski out of the picture frame waiting for the fall or maybe in the offside rear compartment

Last edited by all2matt; 07-16-2015 at 6:39 AM.
Old     (RideClaytorVT)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-16-2015, 7:43 AM Reply   
Ahh haaa now I see why Malibu did the release.....looks like Tige will have the feature to be able to switch wakes as well.....

https://instagram.com/p/5LRozbqr-7/
Old     (swell_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-16-2015, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by all2matt View Post
so the next question was that shot at "other comapny's cheap imitation" a shot at TIGE or Nautique. I would assume Tige being as theirs has been out for a year and Nautiques is set to come it at the same time as Malibu's. The do say Patent about 100 times so that definitly gives us a forecast of there future plans to sue anybody and everybody that makes a boat for whatever reason they see fit. WEird that if they had a patent iot would take this long to come up with something that seems pretty dang easy to make. I mean how long have stereos/TVs had remote controls? since the 70s?
Malibu has become more of a marketing machine than a good boat maker. We surf A LOT of different boats and the Bu's are consistently the worst. Even with the wedge and SG, they still take a ton of weight. There is no lip on the regular side and despite the wave looking big and long - the actual part that has push is not that big. We call it the Malibu "table" the big flat spot before the wave builds - that said our skim style riders like it. Older Bu's without SG actually surf better but take a lot to load. Malibu adds stuff to make what was essentially a poor surf hull actually surf better - They have mastered the hype game but definitely not the best surf boats out there by a long shot. They should stop worrying about suing and marketing hype and actually work on redesigning a hull.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-16-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
If they care about selling boats they are doing a damn good job of it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-16-2015, 9:37 AM Reply   
I've always enjoyed surfing behind Malbu and Axis boats. The wave is just fine, maybe you and your friends suck at surfing. Just Kidding, but seriously, I don't see how anyone can call their waves "the worst". That's just crazy talk.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2015, 10:43 AM Reply   
I think Surfing sucks all together, and it should die. So none of this really matters to me at all. Just kidding....But not really...Unless you agree.

Coming from a corporate background....I've seen the court room become a big part of corporate strategy in the race to be number one. Or in Malibu's case, keep the number 1 spot.

I love their boats. Love their wakes.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2015, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by swell_rider View Post
Malibu has become more of a marketing machine than a good boat maker. We surf A LOT of different boats and the Bu's are consistently the worst. Even with the wedge and SG, they still take a ton of weight. There is no lip on the regular side and despite the wave looking big and long - the actual part that has push is not that big. We call it the Malibu "table" the big flat spot before the wave builds - that said our skim style riders like it. Older Bu's without SG actually surf better but take a lot to load. Malibu adds stuff to make what was essentially a poor surf hull actually surf better - They have mastered the hype game but definitely not the best surf boats out there by a long shot. They should stop worrying about suing and marketing hype and actually work on redesigning a hull.
So what specific boats would you say are "swell" at surfing and wake boarding compared to "the worst" being Bu?
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-16-2015, 11:43 AM Reply   
Anyone know if this has any application can work 70-80 ft back? Being able to adjust speed or wedge when wakeboarding would be awesome as each rider has their own preferences.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2015, 12:13 PM Reply   
I remember seeing a program where it was talking about the differences between American car manufacturers and Japanese car manufacturing. American auto manufacturers focused on performance and what turned out to be items no one really cared about example the 2014 car was slightly slower than the 2015 model The next model year would have a few more horsepower and Stop in a shorter distance (big deal) . In sharp contrast Japanese would focus on reliability and value. Japanese auto manufacturers would try and make the next year Modle MORE reliable More efficient and at a cheaper price. Well we know who is winning the Auto industry war.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-16-2015, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
I remember seeing a program where it was talking about the differences between American car manufacturers and Japanese car manufacturing. American auto manufacturers focused on performance and what turned out to be items no one really cared about example the 2014 car was slightly slower than the 2015 model The next model year would have a few more horsepower and Stop in a shorter distance (big deal) . In sharp contrast Japanese would focus on reliability and value. Japanese auto manufacturers would try and make the next year Modle MORE reliable More efficient and at a cheaper price. Well we know who is winning the Auto industry war.
The Germans?
Old     (ILikebooty)      Join Date: Mar 2015       07-16-2015, 2:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by swell_rider View Post
We own a 2014 Malibu and our friends have a G23. Our malibu consistently surfs better. (And was at least 40k cheeper)
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-16-2015, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reez View Post
Anyone know if this has any application can work 70-80 ft back? Being able to adjust speed or wedge when wakeboarding would be awesome as each rider has their own preferences.
It does work for wakeboarding as wel.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-17-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
Reading through the Malibu SurfGate Patent I came across this section.

https://www.google.com/patents/US857...IVhRmSCh2ZkwT8

Quote:
Control system 32 may also include a memory that is configured to store information regarding watercraft configuration including static parameters such as hull shape, hull length, weight, etc., as well as dynamic parameters passenger weight, ballast, wedge, speed, fuel, depth, wind, etc. The memory may also include “Rider” information regarding the surfer (or boarder or skier), including goofy/regular footed, weight, board length, board type, skill level, etc. Moreover, the memory may be configured to store “presets” that include the information regarding a specific “Rider” including the Rider information as well as the Rider's preferences such as left or right wave, a preferred watercraft speed, a preferred wake height, etc. One will appreciate that the presets could be for the surf wake system as well as other parameters including POWER WEDGE setting, watercraft speed, goofy/regular footed, steep wave face, amount of weight, wave size, etc. One will appreciate that such presets would allow the watercraft operator to quickly reconfigure the surf wake system to accommodate various “Riders”, for example very experienced professional wake surfers, beginner wake surfers, and anyone in between.

Control system 32 may also include a remote which may allow a rider to actuate the surf wake system. For example, a remote may allow a rider to further deploy or retract flap 33, to an interim position to vary the size of the wake.

One will appreciate that control system 32 may be integrated into the watercraft, for example, fully integrated with a CAN bus of the watercraft. Alternatively, the control system may be an aftermarket solution which may be installed on a watercraft, either connecting into the CAN bus, or operating completely independently of the CAN bus.

I can see where they mention the remote and being able to control the surf wake system so I'm curious if Tige did patent their design and if not will it violate this patent. If it violates, will Malibu being going after them?

The part that makes me wonder more is the paragraph above the remote though that mentions rider presets and savings that remember all of the different settings including ballast levels, speed and other variables.

Does this make every company with a head unit that saves rider presets a violation of this patent?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-17-2015, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
I'm hoping this transfers someday to when I am just in my moms basement and I'm just hopping and spinning behind a virtual Malibu surf boat
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-17-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
Malibu mentions that it's Patented, and I noticed the patent said "remote control" device. Could a waterproof smart watch with an app maybe be outside of the "remote control" description?
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-17-2015, 4:22 PM Reply   
It was outside until the Malibu patent sharks saw your post and will update it next week to include that....
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-18-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
Swell rider well said. We find the same thing. Only malibu riders that do not surf any other boat thinks there wakes are the best. The Nautique wake is not far off with the nss until you list them and they work just fine. Delayed convergence is also marketing hype and produces terrible wakes for anyone that can actually surf. Delayed convergence makes good wakes for beginners and people that do not actually care what a good wake looks like.

Honda and Yamaha went through this in 2007. Yamaha released EPS on there Grizzly 700 and was the first ATV to do so. Honda had patented the technology years before but never released it. It was not till the success of the grizzly 700 did Honda come crying to the table with we were the first and patent this patent that in all there marketing. Honda never got a cent from Yamaha. Since Yamaha was first to market and spent the money on the actual r&d to deploy they won.

I foresee this same case with Tige and Malibu. Tige brought it to market first, took the risk to do so. Malibu was obviously to scared to do it. Once again Malibu was caught sitting on there hands in the surf game. Malibu make Wakeboard boats. That is all they do. Drive nice, look nice, functional but only Wakeboard well. There hulls do not surf well at all. They need to worry about changing a boat hill to make a better surf machine than sue everybody in the industry. Tige for the Win. In all actuality they will probably leverage this to use Tige Convex v hull patent so they can make a boat that surfs. Supra, Nautique, MC are all now using the Convex v. Malibu is likely next to jump on that band wagon.

For all those that did miss it, Tige now has Taps3 which allows side to side switching in less than three seconds. The AVX is still available for anyone that just wants pro level surf waves. TAps3 will be those looking for switch on the fly and sacrifice surf quality a bit to get ease of use yet still has a hull that will produce better surf wakes than any other switch on the fly. So it is a win win for the consumer.
Old     (swell_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-18-2015, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudelectronics View Post
Swell rider well said. We find the same thing. Only malibu riders that do not surf any other boat thinks there wakes are the best. The Nautique wake is not far off with the nss until you list them and they work just fine. Delayed convergence is also marketing hype and produces terrible wakes for anyone that can actually surf. Delayed convergence makes good wakes for beginners and people that do not actually care what a good wake looks like.

Honda and Yamaha went through this in 2007. Yamaha released EPS on there Grizzly 700 and was the first ATV to do so. Honda had patented the technology years before but never released it. It was not till the success of the grizzly 700 did Honda come crying to the table with we were the first and patent this patent that in all there marketing. Honda never got a cent from Yamaha. Since Yamaha was first to market and spent the money on the actual r&d to deploy they won.

I foresee this same case with Tige and Malibu. Tige brought it to market first, took the risk to do so. Malibu was obviously to scared to do it. Once again Malibu was caught sitting on there hands in the surf game. Malibu make Wakeboard boats. That is all they do. Drive nice, look nice, functional but only Wakeboard well. There hulls do not surf well at all. They need to worry about changing a boat hill to make a better surf machine than sue everybody in the industry. Tige for the Win. In all actuality they will probably leverage this to use Tige Convex v hull patent so they can make a boat that surfs. Supra, Nautique, MC are all now using the Convex v. Malibu is likely next to jump on that band wagon.

For all those that did miss it, Tige now has Taps3 which allows side to side switching in less than three seconds. The AVX is still available for anyone that just wants pro level surf waves. TAps3 will be those looking for switch on the fly and sacrifice surf quality a bit to get ease of use yet still has a hull that will produce better surf wakes than any other switch on the fly. So it is a win win for the consumer.
Spot On!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-18-2015, 10:04 AM Reply   
Man you guys are funny