Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-20-2013, 6:29 PM Reply   
Im awaiting my new Axis A22 that should be arriving at the end of September. Im trying to figure out what I want to do with my stereo system. I wanted to do wetsounds 808s off an SD6 but I think they are to big. It looks like there is no room to even make the cutouts bigger. Any input on that? If they wont fit, I'll just be going with 3 pairs of xs 650s. On the tower will be a pair of Rev 10s, with a Rev 410 in the middle. I am wanting to either go with 12w7s, or 12 XXXv2. Im wanting to power each sub off an SD2, so since the w7 is a 3 or 1.5 ohm speakers, Im not sure I could even use it since the SD2 is 4 ohm mono. Ok so my main question is, is there enough room to fit a ported box in the OB compartment, and under the helm and be able to still net the 1.78 cubic ft in the box? Which would be the best way to fire each sub? The stock sub comes in the OB compartment facing the chillax seating. So would identical boxes, each pointing towards the chillax seating be ideal? Would it be best to fire the sub towards the hull? Down firing? I'd love to do something with a plexiglass front on the box under the helm at least. Is there even room to put a properly ported box in the OB compartment? I'd have a lot more of these answers if my dealer had some A22's in stock, but they dont. Im just trying to get some ideas on the best sub locations and box ideas. I do want 2 subs tho. I've also thought about mounting them in the skybox seating if that would even be a possibility
Old     (AXISA20)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-20-2013, 8:16 PM Reply   
You can fit a ported box under there. Lots of room even with the heater box under there. You will need your boat to actually make the box as all of them seem to be a little different. This is mine in my Axis
Old     (Timebomb142)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-21-2013, 1:19 AM Reply   
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-21-2013, 5:00 AM Reply   
Timebomb. What's the advantage of a box like yours?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-21-2013, 5:57 AM Reply   
I put a vented box with an XS12 under the drivers side and then put a plexi panel painted black in front to hide it. Hits hard. The carpet still rolls into it, and the wetsounds logo is actually stepped off about an inch and lets the area breathe too.
Attached Images

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-21-2013, 6:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics guys. Those are some great looking set ups. It looks like there is plenty of room for a ported box under both sides. Any suggestions on what way you guys have found to be the best way to fire the sub. My last 2 13w7s in my old boat hit pretty good, but I thought it'd be more honestly. They were just firing to the cabin not loading off of anything.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-21-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
It's just the open air environment. No sun is going to hit like you think it will. Don't get me wrong you can make them pound but it won't be like your sitting in a car unless you have something rediculous like 4 12's.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-22-2013, 2:44 PM Reply   
I've never liked the poor phase coherency of mounting subs on both sides (using the observer's compartment) unless you do some serious boat mods so that both subs are identically and symmetrically oriented and also interface with the surrounding boundaries in the identical fashion. If you just want more rumble then it's okay and the second sub will net you more output but not nearly the same output as two side-by-side direct radiating subs. The bass SQ will definitely suffer....although that may be far from the objective here....I don't know.
With certainty you do not want to orient the port and the driver in different directions when loading into an under-helm and tight compartment, nor do you want to face the driver and port into a restrictive air space. Either will alter the bass-reflex alignment in a way you can predict or compensate for. So that only gives you the option of direct radiation for both sub driver and port on the driver's side. If the OB compartment is large enough then the driver and port orientation are less critical. The free venting out of the OB compartment needs to be at least equal to the radiating surface area (Sd) of the driver. The bigger the better.
Downfiring? Sure in a forgiving vehicle cabin. But it's a very bad idea within a compartment leading into open air unless the peak of the surround of a high-excursion 12-inch woofer is at least 3.5" off the adjacent surface with 360 degrees of radiation around the sub. It sure would waste a ton of precious air space and you would not want to load both the driver and port into this restrictive path.
I've offered more obstacles than solutions but this is really trying to force something contrary to a few of the most fundemental acoustic principles.

David
Old     (Timebomb142)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-22-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
Dat, I keep my boat on a very crowed 25000 acre lake and party cove on Saturday is the place to chill. I can honestly say its one of the loudest boat on my lake. So advantages I couldn't tell you all I know is that I told my brother in law who owns car audio shop that I want something different and hits hard and that's what he built it has led light that light up with the bass it's pretty cool at night.