Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-31-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
just did my second oil change on my '11 LSV. its the first boat ive owned to have the drain tube on the oil pan.

but changing oil is worse than watching grass grow.

i get a tiny 1/16" stream coming out. it takes an hour to get less than two quarts to drain, and then it just goes to dripping. after two hours i can only get less than 3 quarts and there hardly even any drips any more.

motor is fully warm. ive tried everything. park on flat ground, park on huge hill to get some downward slope on the drain tube. ive even tried presurizing the oil pan threw the dip stick tube with my air compressor/tank! tried removing the fill cap. everything. i just cant get more than 2-2.5 quarts out. this has happened both times. its painfull slow. rediculous.

anyone have any tips? or experience with this?

im using the recomended 15W-40 (rottela T)
im thinking about switching to some 5W-30 mobil 1 sythetic for some thinner oil hoping it would drain faster. thoughts? safe?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-31-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
yep. buy a pump and pump the oil out.
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       10-31-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
yep. buy a pump and pump the oil out.

JABSCO Oil Changer:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50402
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-31-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
I have the same boat as you as you and use a pela 6000. It gets all the oil out everytime. It goes a little faster if the engine is good and warm but it's still not bad if you do it cold, just takes a little longer.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-31-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
+1 on the Pela 6000. Simple and effective.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
That Jabsco Oil Changer is a slick setup. However, for about $50 you can everything you need from Harbor Freight and a hardware store. Not as cool cool as the Jabsco, but still works like a champ.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-31-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
i have a pump but this boat has the drain tube. i hate to let it go to waste cause its so cool.
does no one use theres? plus me and those pumps dont get along.
gravity and hot oil is all thats needed to change a cars oil in 5 minutes. why should this be any different?

whats everyones thoughts on using 5W-30 mobil1 synthetic in a boat? safe? (disregaurding removal method)
Old     (05sante)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-31-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
Does your drain tube have a 1/4 NPT pipe fitting at the end of it? That's how my SANTE engine drain hose is set up. I bought a 1/4 NPT Female to barb fitting and attached it to the end of a plastic tube with a hose clamp. Screw together the engine drain hose to the homemade hose and the other end goes into my oil extractor (Mityvac 7400). This way you get the best of both worlds, extracting from the bottom of the oil pan instead of dipstick tube and you get the speed of a vacuum pump. I get all 5 quarts out in about 5-10 minutes.

I wouldn't go to a lower viscosity oil just for the sake of faster draining.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-31-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
Cory i have a drain tube on my boat also.I hook up my Mityvac pump model #7201.It will evacuate or transfer fluid.I aslo used Shell Rotella 15-40 oil.The pump will pull out 4 to 5 quarts in less than 5 minutes.You will want the boat level as it pulls through the drain tube.I just went to Lowes and got the clear 3/8" tube and slipped it over the threaded end of the drain tube.I have a picture of it in my build thread[2011 pacific blue/white RZ2].I love this set up also for draining and filling Transmission and V-drive.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-31-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
Here is a post regarding this from the MC site. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ghlight=change

I use a hand pump (exactly like post #1 in MC forum) on the end of my drain tube, and it works well, and was very cheap at the local auto parts store. I generally don't even need to keep pumping it, just get it flowing good and leave it, then pump out again at the end.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-31-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
I just use a drill pump (~$10) and a fitting to adapt to the drain hose. Pulls all the warm oil out in less than 5 minutes.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-31-2011, 9:19 AM Reply   
I built a system that's a LOT like the jabsco.

$6 - 5 gallon bucket + lid
$60 - Simer 12v Pump
$5 - misc fittings

I suck it out the drain hose and it works great. Takes about 5-10 minutes to pull all of it out and into the bucket. Then I disconnect it and reverse the pump and pump it back into a disposal jug.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-31-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
I use the same pump as Cary. Warm it up a bit and then remove the pil cap. My hise just slides right over the the fitting on the drain plug. 5 min tops.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-31-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
well i tryied the extractor pump in the drain tube method...
after a good 20 minutes i got maybe two table spoons tops

i tried both fill cap on and fill cap off.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
Stop messing around with the drain hose and get the Pela:
http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelaapplications.html
You can use it for your V-drive and trans as well. Biggest problem with the Pela is it is too quick and it is hard to drink much beer before the job is finished
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-31-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Stop messing around with the drain hose and get the Pela:
http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelaapplications.html
You can use it for your V-drive and trans as well. Biggest problem with the Pela is it is too quick and it is hard to drink much beer before the job is finished
The Pela is the same tool Cory tried.All of the above mentioned tools are Vacuum fluid extractors.He may have an obstruction in his drain hose.Also remember about a quart is in the filter.I know your still shooting for four quarts out the drain hose.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2011, 11:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
The Pela is the same tool Cory tried.All of the above mentioned tools are Vacuum fluid extractors.He may have an obstruction in his drain hose.Also remember about a quart is in the filter.I know your still shooting for four quarts out the drain hose.
Mark the length of your dip stick against the extractor hose so you know how far down you need the hose to go. If you are not getting the oil out most likely the tube is not going down far enough, in my boat I need to jiggle it a bit to go all the way down.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-01-2011, 3:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Mark the length of your dip stick against the extractor hose so you know how far down you need the hose to go. If you are not getting the oil out most likely the tube is not going down far enough, in my boat I need to jiggle it a bit to go all the way down.
I am talking about the drain hose attached to the oil pan.Not going down the dipstick tube.Here is a picture of the Mityvac 7201 attached to the drain hose.
Attached Images

Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-01-2011, 4:42 AM Reply   
Cory- Did you have the motor warmed up when you used the extractor pump on the drain hose tube? It still needs to be hot to get the oil to flow well. I have used this method for the past 15 years and it works great. Make sure you don't have any air leaks in the connections from the pump to the drain hose either, that will break the siphon. I did have a problem with my buddies when I did it a couple of weeks ago and the oil wasn't hot enough so I can it for a little while longer and it worked like a charm.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-01-2011, 5:39 AM Reply   
You could also pour a quart of fresh oil in. The old and new won't really mix and the additional oil on top will help push the remaining oil out. You'll know when to stop.

That said I never had any success draining my indmar motor through the drain hose either. Always went down the dipstick. I was super stoked the first time I changed the oil on my new boat with the PCM motor cuz that sucker drained in about three minutes through the drain hose.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-01-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
Robert my extractor is almost identical to yours. mines a MOELLER brand. but my pump is more built in to the top. not on the side like yours. resevoir looks identical though.
as a last resort im going to try down the dipstick tube tonight. ive done it before on my nautique.

Stan: not sure if you read the thread, but i only have 2-3 quarts of oil left in the motor, and no way to warm it obviously. (well without adding more oil and taking it to the lake)
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-01-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
Cory- missed that you have some of it out already. You could just add a little new oil and run it in the drive way. Just stick a garden hose in the fresh water intake and let it warm up or use a fake a lake if you have one. The other option could be one of the magnetic block heaters, stick it to the oil pan and let it warm that up. I'm guessing it's going to be just as slow getting it out the dipstick hole, if not slower than through the oil pan.

In the future I'd run it in the driveway till warmed up then use the pump on the oil pan hose.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       11-01-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
Sounds to me like you may have a kink in your drain hose. Depending on the angle/fitting where the hose is attached to the oil pan, you may kink it if you pull it taught through the drain plug hole. I drain mine through the drain plug hole in the center of the hull beneath the transmission. Since the 90 fitting that attaches the drain hose to the pan is pointed toward the transom, I have to be careful not to pull the hose too firmly through drain plug hole or it will kink right at the fitting. If I avoid this, it is about 15-20 for all oil to drain by gravity from a warm engine.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-01-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
Once you get the oil drained out i would remove the drain hose and let remaining oil drain in a small pan.Then you could find out where the problem is in your hose.All my boats have been PCM motors and they all drained fine.What motor is in your Moomba?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-01-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
My Supra does the same thing, 2-3 quarts if I'm lucky and it takes forever to get that much. I tried tilting trailer up and down with no change. Gave up and went back to using a pump down the dipstick tube as I have on previous boats. The drain hoses are a nice idea but at least for me, don't work well.

Edit: FWIW I run 10w40 dino oil and and run engine for 10-15 minutes to get oil warm before changing.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-01-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
I use the extractor pump plumbed into the fitting at the end of the drain hose and it works as described by others. This is on a Mercruiser 315 in a Centurion V-drive.

I'm guessing your problem now is cold oil. Put a magnetic oil pan heater on there and see what happens. Otherwise put the 2 quarts back in, run it on a fake-a-lake and try it again.

Last edited by fish6942; 11-01-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-01-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
DTB- definatly no kink. i layed down in the compartments and routed the tube perfect out the back from the inside laying down on the bottom of the boat. its perfectly straight. i did wonder if just sticking a hose to the intake grate was enough for it to suck water, or if it needed to be sealed.

Robert- Indmar Assault 325 (or 335? i cant remember)

Cory- Finally! glad to hear im not alone! i was starting to think i was going crazy!

Paul. yeah cold motor, and the tube for use with the dip stick is very small probly 1/8" ID as apposed to the 5/16" ID tube that i used when i attempted threw the drain tube. yeah its gonna be "fun"
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-01-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
Don't be concerned, I used to use the heat the motor up and use the drain tube, it always took ages and I never got as much oil out as I would have liked. I have swapped to the dip stick method and do it cold so as much as possible oil is in the pan and it is much better. Quicker and I get more oil now.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-01-2011, 3:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
I just use a drill pump (~$10) and a fitting to adapt to the drain hose. Pulls all the warm oil out in less than 5 minutes.
Do this. It works well, cheap, less than $20 even getting some fittings to adapt from the garden hose connections on the pump. It will suck out 5qts of cold oil in a couple minutes. Probably 1 min if the engine is warm. Plus it works well for pulling out teh trans fluid thru the filler hole if you adapt a hose onto it. Good for other garage uses like filling differentials, transfer cases, etc, all those hard to reach things.
FYI Napa quit stocking them for good but I'm sure they're avail elsewhere.
My Indmar LT-1 was the same. WOULD NOT drain thru the oil drain hose. Not sure about the newer Indmar I have as I use the pump.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       11-01-2011, 4:49 PM Reply   
Cory - I have the same motor (Supra), and I think I have the same pump. I use the small line and go down the dipstick tubing. Mine pumps out in about 15 minutes (cold) max. I have never even tried to you the drain line.