Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-16-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
Picked up a used Walzer 56" custom with dual fin boxes last week.... somehow this weekend it was stepped on or ??? and one of the fins broke off. These seemed like pretty fragile 2.5" fins to begin with and I'd like to replace/upgrade them. Suggestions?
Old    surfdad            06-16-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Futures C-5 fins are what you currently have that are borken. Wakeoutlaws has 'em here

I believe that lakewakes carries them also. Most surf supply stores require you to buy both the fin and the box - you most likely don't need the box.

If you can get through to Futures, or to a person that can connect with a rep, you might be able to get just the one fin that was broken.

The only other fin that fits that box, without modification, is the canards in the Twinzer set, I believe it's the TW1. Again, I think that if you have "mojo" you can get just the canards. They are 3.25 in depth and a little more upright than the cupped fins you have. The website for the TW1 is here Otherwise you're talking having to buy the entire fin set. How do YOU spell expensive? :-)

Upload
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2009, 4:04 PM Reply   
I did the same thing, (actually it was my clumsy brother). He stepped on the board on the first day out on my new Walzer. I was so pissed and that ended the day of trying out the new board. I bought a new set from wakeoutlaws like surfdad said. I doesn't hurt to have an extra on the boat so it doesn't end your trip. Just call the guys at wakeoutlaws and they'll hook you up.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-17-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Thanks guys... I'll just order the set from wakeoutlaws. Any advantage to this fin box over the standard "wake-board style" mounts that most boards have?
Old    surfdad            06-17-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
I think that the vast majority of high end surf style boards have some type of removable fin system - such as Futures or FCS. The mass produced low end surf style boards use wakeboard style fins beacuase they are cheap and easy to install at the factory. Many skim style boards use a single wakeboard fin in a trailing position and I'd think in a single fin setup that is the best option.

The Walzer was pretty innovative during it's short history of production. One of the things they brought to the table was the use of the C-5's as rail fins. The C-5 fins had a great foil and the Futures "Vector foil" inside cup. The fins were pretty good at generating some drive for their small size. In relative comparison to wakeboard style fins, the base was much shorter also, making the C-5's loose and quick to release.

Additionally the C-5 boxes allowed a little bit of fore and aft adjustment, not a LOT, but enough to feel the difference when riding. You can see the "gap" in the picture below. Lastly, the fins installed with about 6 degrees of cant, providing some lift and also a more aggressive turn compared to a fin without cant.

The first Walzer Alpha's were really very 'techy'.

Upload
Upload
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-18-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Great info... that gap explains why I thought they were the wrong fins installed when I bought this board. They look a little out of place or that they don't quite "fit" right. Now I know that they are designed like that.

I came to this board from a phase 5 oogle and I'm amazed that it has the drive and push that it does. At only 56" I was worried I'd be too big for it (~220lbs) but I can actually ride it better than my oogle. I still can't ride my 54" LF Custom with 3 x wakeboard style fins, though.
Old    surfdad            06-18-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Those fins in those boxes do look weird. FCS makes a side bite fin like that without any adjustment and intuitively, that would be what you'd expect.

Another of the Walzer's innovations which I think you are feeling as the extra drive was the core material. I never did "weasel" an answer out of the Walzer folks on what they used, but it is a very light weight foam. It felt lighter than 2 pound density, but I am only guessing. That compared to the typical 5 pound density or heavier foam found in some of the skimmers. If you compare that Walzer with the Oogle, you can feel how much lighter the Walzer is.

That lighter weight, combined with the C5 fins seemed to create lift in the Walzer and I think that brought more of the rail out of the water and would improve the drive even more.

That whole concept of a lightweight hybrid surf/skim will always be the hallmark of the Walzer.