Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-23-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
Just watched "Lance Armstrong: Stop at Nothing" Maybe strange, but I am still a LA fan. All his bad, he still was a monster on the bike & I don't for a second think his Tour wins were tainted, as I think he was doing what everyone else was doing. Not saying he was a good guy related to the people he smeared.

Those USPS teams were fun.... Not to mention the last run with Astana and then RS. Greatest American cyclist, though a fan of Big George as well.

LA got me on a roadie, which I said I had no interest in. Love he won Leadville, that's riding!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-24-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
I watched it and lost a lot of respect for him in the process. I had this impression of him being a great guy, but it's evident that he's not.

How did you come away from that not feeling like he cheated? Why would he go through all of that trouble and wreck every relationship that he had if he had nothing to hide?
Old    bigdtx            11-24-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
Lance is from Dallas. I remember when he was a teenager he was winning pro triathlons and putting the winnings in a trust to protect his amateur status so he could keep his Olympic eligibility (how times have changed). He also has had the reputation from a very young age of being a world class arrogant a-hole. Greg Lemond hates him because he tried to take Lance under his wing and mentor him and Lance basically told him "f-off old man".

I don't have an opinion about Lance one way or the other but his attitude of "everyone is doing it" was correct. Pro cycling is still one of the dirtiest sports in the world and if you think you're going to go out and win the tour with a drug free body you're living in a dream world.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       11-24-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   
Was it a good watch? I might have to add that to my list of things to see...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-24-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
He had a ton to hide, he was doping. Everyone was cheating, it's the reason that his 7 vacated titles were not awarded to the second place finishers.

Then again, I don't consider McGwire, Sosa, Bonds "cheaters" either....
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-24-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
I don't think much of the public cares one way or another. Not that cycling doesn't take a tremendous amount of skill and ability, and i have a ton of respect for the athletes, but lets face it, its cycling, nobody cares. To me, he is an interesting athlete much like a circus performer is interesting. The fact that he could physically do it was incredible, regardless of how. Since cycling isnt on most peoples radar as a sport, much less one requiring or maintaining any kind of integrity, nobody sees it as cheating.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-24-2014, 3:12 PM Reply   
"Greg Lemond hates him because he tried to take Lance under his wing and mentor him and Lance basically told him "f-off old man"."

The movie made it out to be much more than that. It seemed like they were close at one point, until Lance threatened to bring Greg's past performance into question also.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       11-24-2014, 3:29 PM Reply   
LeMond is still the only US Cyclist to win the Tour and I love it.
Check out the 30 for 30 "Slaying the Badger" so good.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-24-2014, 6:46 PM Reply   
Lance is a nasty douchebag. The things he has done to people around him and the "Cancer public" is unforgivable. I saw a good quote from a Austin native about Lance. Oh round here 50% of people love Lance and 50% hate him. ORLY why do 50% hate him? Because they have met him. Lol.

And if everyone is doping it is not an even playing field, some people respond to therapy in different ways, some can make large gains and some make small gains, so the sporting event becomes not who is the most gifted athlete but who is the best responder, has the best doctor and is willing to take the biggest risk with there health. It is not what sport should really be about.

Mostly I dislike Lance because he is a terrible bully and borderline sociopath. And livestrong is a sham charity promoting "cancer awareness", while Lance flys around on his private jet sucking millions out of the fund. I know what cancer is thanks very much, you can keep your yellow wrist band.

Great doco tho, loved it.
Old    bigdtx            11-25-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
why do 50% hate him? Because they have met him.
hahaha!