Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-27-2013, 7:20 AM Reply   
I have been working on my ts front. My problem seems to be that once I see land I my rotation basically dies. Am I letting the handle out or coming out of my tuck too soon? Vid below. this is one of my standard attempts. Some are better, some are worse but all have the same butt, board skid landing. Any help appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YluK6nUsjc8
Old     (amsugg)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-27-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
Man it looks pretty good, the only thing I can tell you is what they told me at learn wake, and that was to not rush the flip and to make sure I take it up first. so coming off the wake your chest needs to point up still. this is supposed to be a trip style flip. tuck looks good, the problem I have is I always try to scarecrow it and add a 180
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-17-2013, 3:58 PM Reply   
Did you ever get this?
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-19-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
Still haven't gotten it. I feel like im always coming up just a tad short and cant figure it out. Should I have my body stiff on take off? Also read some people talk about popping more off your heels. I have had more trouble with this trick than any other for some reason !lol
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       09-19-2013, 3:00 PM Reply   
Did you try making it a scarecrow? that helps learn the takeoff, but you have to really over exaggerate the rotation on the front almost doing a flip and a quater so you land on your toes. A lot of people get "close" since they always land on their butt, but getting the next part of rotation is the hard part and has a lot to do with handle position.
Old     (wksk8r)      Join Date: Jun 2008 Location: Roseville       09-23-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have had the same problem, I found that if you take your approach wide and commit with a lot more speed you will get kicked over all the way. It looks like you're coming in a little slow, and make sure you release your back hand just after the pop (I try to reach for the grab just to keep my tuck). I have been trying for a while and now I land on the board, but not always ride away. there is a clip of my similar attempt on our website westriders.org click on boarding and TS front.

Good luck, don't give up!
Old     (BuyWake_Rhett)      Join Date: May 2013       10-31-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
I had the same problem when trying front rolls for the first time! I have vivid memories of my feet shooting through the toe openings of my Super Sucs when coming up short like that. Ouch.

From what your video tells me, it looks like you need a little bit more weight over your toes at the top of the wake. With frontrolls, your weight distribution upon take-off mirrors your weight distribution when you land. So, if you want to land over your toes - be double sure you release off the wake over your toes.

Try this also:
Take a longer edge than normal and deliberately try to take your front roll into the flats - even if just a little bit. It sounds intimidating, but that's how I first started getting my weight over my toes and stomping them regularly.

Good luck!
Old     (mwsriders)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-31-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
I agree with Rhett!

Another helpful thing on this is to pull that rope in right near the end of the flip to bring your feet underneath you instead of landing on your butt. It has helped me cheat out a few that had less than perfect takeoffs.
Old     (sean_obrien)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-12-2013, 2:04 PM Reply   
Good pointers Rhett.

I want to go ahead and add a couple more tips.
1. You should have more weight on your front foot at the wake.
2. Try to keep your hips over the board as you are leaving the wake (this allows all of the energy that you have built up to get pushed upwards through your body to give you pop and speed up the rotation).
3. To go along with that, make sure you don't break too much at your waist while you are on the wake (this causes you to absorb that energy and reduces that necessary 'kick').
4. Try to keep the handle in line with your hips.
5. As you are coming out of the frontroll, keep looking over your toes. You want to spot your landing over your toes. If you spot your landing between the nose of your board and the boat, you will open up too early and slow down your rotation. That makes it really hard to have a clean landing and riding away on your toes.

Here is a little video to compare it to...
www.youtube.com/embed/OdyfJ12JkP4

Last edited by sean_obrien; 11-12-2013 at 2:06 PM. Reason: Embed didn't work
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-13-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for help guys. I got one on one of my last sets of the season! the weight distribution helped me immensely. I was coming in way to back foot heavy. Also took a longer more direct cut at the wake and I got around. I appreciate the help.
Old     (nautiqueboarder10)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-15-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Sean and Rhett had some good tips for learning a front roll but i think your main problem in the video is your not tripping the flip hard enough or at all. It looks like your really trying to "huck" the flip and throw your head into it, if you trip it correctly you dont have to huck it at all. I say that because my frontroll videos look the exact same as yours. i used to have frontrolls about 75% of the time but then i quit doing them and when started trying them again i for some reason couldnt land them. even though i cant land them i know my problem is im not tripping it right because i remember that trip feeling is like, i just cant figure out how i was tripping them differently before. So sorry i dont have any advice on how to properly trip it but im about 90% sure thats what your doing wrong.