Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Frznrth)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-04-2016, 8:36 PM Reply   
Hi
I'm looking for a budget boat. Very budget. I found this:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mot...ationFlag=true

97 Ski Centurion with a rebuilt motor. They are asking $12,500 Canadian. If it floats and runs how bad could it be? It would be miles ahead of the 80s outboard ski boat I have now. My kids might even be willing to be seen in it - maybe.

If I threw in enough sacs any chance it would throw a big enough wake to surf?

Any and all opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old     (Frznrth)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-04-2016, 9:09 PM Reply   
I asked the owner about surfing. He said he has surfed behind it by loading it up with people - doesn't have any sacs. Plausible?

Not looking for anything sort of top quality wake/surf - obviously given what I'm willing to spend - just wanting something to have some fun behind.

Thanks
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-05-2016, 4:49 AM Reply   
You can definitely surf behind a ski boat. I have done it. Just weight the heck out of one side.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-05-2016, 6:43 AM Reply   
what kind of shape is your back in now? lol that is one of the absolute roughest riding boats you can find but if it fits the budget and checks out you can still ride and have a great time behind it. My family had the same boat growing up we had a blast in it.
Old     (Frznrth)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-05-2016, 6:45 AM Reply   
Thanks. I have seen people surfing behind old direct drives but wasn't sure if this was more possible behind some than others.

Were these decent boats in their day? I know I can't be too fussy for 12k but I'd rather not buy crap.

Was also wondering if you can add a sun shade to just about any tower?

Much appreciated
Old     (Frznrth)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-05-2016, 6:46 AM Reply   
Back is still in good shape! Rough even on calm water?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-05-2016, 8:13 AM Reply   
nothing is rough on calm water ..lol .. I have friend with the same boat and he never complains of rough ride . To me all the inboard direct drives ride rough they are ski boats made to give almost no wake at single ski speeds .
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 8:35 AM Reply   
Cmon Rick. Don't talk nonsense. Get in any direct drive nautique and tell me they rough. Lol. I'd be looking for a mastercraft 205 or a sport nautique. Both waaaaay better then any centurion.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
I didn't sell my Sanger to buy a sport nautique for ****s and giggles.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
My buddy has a 205 with tower and beat right now for sale for 12k. Mackin wake and a big boat for a dd. but it's in discovery bay.
Old     (Frznrth)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-05-2016, 9:08 AM Reply   
Which Discovery Bay is that? The one by Kelona isn't too far from me.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-05-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
California
Old     (Frznrth)      Join Date: Aug 2013       05-05-2016, 9:18 AM Reply   
Too bad. Would be a nice road trip though
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-05-2016, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Cmon Rick. Don't talk nonsense. Get in any direct drive nautique and tell me they rough. Lol. I'd be looking for a mastercraft 205 or a sport nautique. Both waaaaay better then any centurion.
Right what was I thinking haha

Sounds like your from norcal too ..I bet we've passed each other on the dirty d a time or too

Last edited by CALIV210; 05-05-2016 at 9:35 AM. Reason: add
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-05-2016, 11:00 AM Reply   
only one way to tell, find some friends with sacs and test it out, hard to get hurt on the boat at that price, should hold its value.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-05-2016, 3:22 PM Reply   
I personally would not buy a centurion based on the experience with that boat. It has not held up to the test of time the way a nautique or mastercraft from that time period would. The vinyl is thin, and the boat more or less rattled itself apart. Screws just appear from nowhere despite tightening everything in sight. Very bad a porpoising as well unless a few people are willing to sit up front and take the abuse. The trim plate has been adjusted but still did not rectify it. The wash behind the boat tells me it wasn't designed well . . Maybe that's what they intended- but I've never seen another boat have that much. It also cavitates so very bad in turns which is another indicator of poor hull design. On the plus side it has close to a thousand hours now and still runs strong. No trans or engine problems to date. That's my take on it. We loved the boat and it wasn't until I was older and rode in a few nicer boats that it's flaws became so noticeable to me. If I had to choose between that or nothing I'd still buy it. If I had to choose between that and a Malibu, mastercraft or natique from the same era and price range I'd choose any one of the three first.
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2016, 4:03 PM Reply   
I had a 88 centurion that was a great boat. I sold it last year for 7200. That is alot newer and open bow and a little bigger. I used to surf with ease behind it. U will have to weight one side but it really should not take a ton of weight to list that boat on its side.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       05-05-2016, 9:33 PM Reply   
Go to centurioncrew.com and ask their opinion. You will get a far more boat specific answer than here on Centurions. The DDs will be more difficult to get a good surf wave, but not impossible. And I would take my Centurion FS44 any day over any of the other boats made.
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-06-2016, 11:05 AM Reply   
I looked at a centurion before buying my Sanger and let me tell you, the centurion had more free board , but that about all it had over the Sanger. It road way stiffer than my Sanger does in chop and over other wakes. Where are you located? If your anywhere near the west coast try looking for nautiques mastercrafts and sangers.... I have a DLX and it's an AWESOME boat ... Picked it up for 12,000.... In great condition.... Here's some pics
Attached Images

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-06-2016, 2:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by volzalum View Post
Go to centurioncrew.com and ask their opinion. You will get a far more boat specific answer than here on Centurions. The DDs will be more difficult to get a good surf wave, but not impossible. And I would take my Centurion FS44 any day over any of the other boats made.
an fs44 isn't anywhere close to being in the same league as an older centurion nor an indication of the build quality on older boats such as the one hes interested in. Centurion R&d has improved drastically in more recent years and even more so on the ri series than the fs even.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       05-06-2016, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
an fs44 isn't anywhere close to being in the same league as an older centurion nor an indication of the build quality on older boats such as the one hes interested in. Centurion R&d has improved drastically in more recent years and even more so on the ri series than the fs even.
I agree on this statement, but your post above was that you wouldn't buy a centurion, not specifically this dd one. And yes, the RI has some newer features, but I'd still take the FS for my preference over other boats.