Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-26-2014, 2:41 PM Reply   
My wife and I just went through the process of buying a new boat. During the process, I found a lot of good information here, and I thought that I would post my 2 cents.

We are coming from a Moomba 2011 LSV that we have loved. My brother has a 2006 MC X-2 that was our starting point.

I used to be an avid skier but have moved more toward wakesurfing (couple of broken ankles and an aging body). I surf regular foot. My wife and son are goofy. My daughter has just start to surf with us. One of our criteria going to the purchase was to have a surf system to allow for easy side to side changes (sorry Tige and centurian- I know these are great boats).

What we decided:

We went with the SAN 230. We did upgrade the rear ballast to 750's- this had the best wave for surfing with the best push. We also liked the adjustability of the NSS over surf gate. Another huge deciding factor was the drivability-esp forward visability while driving at surf speeds with surf wieght. I was not interested in G series as I still may ski on occassion. My dealer also indicated that the 230 may actually be a better boat for surfing. I can't comment. (3 test drives)

Other findings

X-10 vs X-30- We actually like the wake on the X-10 with the gen 2 system. Stock this is actually much better than the x-30 with gen 2- I am a little disappointed in MC. We probably would have taken the X-10 back out, but we really wanted a 23 foot boat as we are tending to go out with more people. Probably the best boats for skiing (1 test drive each)

Malibu 23 LSV with 750 plug'-n-play- this was a very nice boat. I originally thought that this was going to win. The wake was nice, fun to surf, but just didn't have the length hieght or push that the Nautique had. Also, had to basically stand-up the whole time while I was driving. (3 test drives)

Malibu 22 VLX with 750 plug-n-play- This actually had a better surf wake than the 23 LSV. The viper screen is a marked improvement over the 2014 screens. The sport nob makes changing stereo settings, surf gate, an the wedge much easier on the fly. My wife felt the goofy foot wake was close if not slightly better than the nautique. Drivability was again an issues. With transitions of surf gate the boat shifts considerably. (1 test drive)

Again, these are just my thoughts. I would encourage everyone to test drive anything and everything available prior to purchasing. My wife and I probably spent 35+ hours during this process. Thx
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-28-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
Congrats on your new boat! I have put many hours in the Nautique seat this season, in both the 230 & G series (21 & 23). By far the Nautique NSS system is the most user-friendly and is incredibly dialed in right out of the box. I have a good friend who chose the 14' 230 as his first Nautique- He currently has the 400's in the rear lockers with about 300lb of lead in the nose, I will recommend the 750 upgrade!

What settings are you running both for goofy/regular side? NSS? Hydro-gate? Any weight in the nose?

Thanks!
Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-28-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
We wont take delivery of the Boat until November. During the demo the dealer switched out the rear sacs with 650 sacs out of a moomba lsv. If I rememeber correctly, we ran 10.4 to 10.6 mph with the hydrogate in the full vert position and the NNS from 0-2 on both sides. My wife felt like 2 on the NNS worked well for her on the goofy side.The ability to play with these different adjustments is what we loved about this system. It is really easy to customize the wave to the riders perference. I have contacted wakemakers to see if there is an integrated bow sac that I can add as a piggyback off the front tank. I am not sure that this is necessary as the wave already has a ton of length and push. That was with 3 adults and 2 very small children in the boat and minus the addtional 200 pounds of ballast. Do you have any thoughts on the addition of a integrated bow sac?
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-28-2014, 12:19 PM Reply   
Port side (regular)
I prefer NSS-5 with hydrogate in forward position- 11.2 mph-I have found this drops the nose a bit and makes the wave longer. NSS at 5 making it the tallest while the faster speed gives the wake a firm feel. For those who need a little more push, 10.9 seems to be fine.

Stbd (goofy)
NSS-3 with Hydrogate forward position. 11.2 mph- More push drop it down to 10.9

This is with 400's in the rear 300lb lead in the nose. With 650's in there, keep the speed the same around 11.2 you will get much more out of the wave going faster than 10.4-.6

The integrated is a good option, although you might be a little tight on space considering how big that integrated sac is. This is why we chose lead in the nose*
Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-28-2014, 4:52 PM Reply   
Thx for the input. What did you think of the G 23 wake vs the 230?
Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-28-2014, 4:55 PM Reply   
Please let me know if upgrading to the 750's changes the set- up.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-28-2014, 6:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the review.
Curious what you guys skill level is?
Were you coming from a listed boat to these more plug and play systems?

Do any of these systems with a non-listed boat really give you a waist high wave with a 12-15 foot pocket? That's what I get on my X-30, but, yes, I am filling sacs. I end up with about 2k on surf side plus whatever the factory hard tanks are in remainder of boat.
I am really happy with it so I haven't been out to demo the gates and flaps and wings and whatever else...

It seems most still say there is "no replacement for displacement". Is that still the general consensus?
Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-28-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
We are currently surfing behind our Momba listed with about a 1000 pounds in the rear locker and 400 pounds in the front. My wife and I have been surfing since 2006. We were both blown away by the length and push that these wakes provided. The distance we could get behind the boat was uncomfortable at first. To a certain extent a lot of it came down to the hassle factor of moving wt around all the time. Keep in mind the with the 750 pound sacs in the SAN 230, we are actually running about 2800 lbs of ballast. I can also say that the boat does list to a certain extent when the NSS plate is deployed. Our dealer actually had three newer model mastercraft x-30s or x-25s that were traded in on new nautiques' with NSS this year. If you take one out, I would make sure they have the additional rear ballast (preferably) the 750's. If you try a mastercraft, I would probably try the X-10 over the X-30. It had a better wake with the standard gen 2 set-up (it is smaller and therefore easier to sink with the provided ballast). The X-30 could be awesome, but it needs a lot more wt and that would start sacrificing a lot of storage. Also hassle factor, I didn't think I should have to extensively modify a boat in this price range.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-28-2014, 9:39 PM Reply   
So every boat had 750 PnP Bags except the 2 MC's? If so, 1500lbs of additional weight makes a pretty big difference to the wave/wake.
Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-29-2014, 5:08 AM Reply   
The MC with the gen 2 surf systems do have additional ballast. Per their website- approx 2000 pounds. I can't remember if this is in addition to the hard tanks or if this was the total for the hard tanks plus the plug and play. The problem is that this takes up the entire rear locker, so there isn't room for a bigger bag in that location. You may be able to add additional ballast, but I didn't want that hassle esp in that price range. Also the ballast weight for the x30 and x10 are exactly the same. Therefore, with only a few people in the boat the x10 through a much better wake. I agree that the x30 wake will get better as more ballast is added.
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-29-2014, 9:13 AM Reply   
The G23 is a phenomenal boat! I personally prefer the G21- NCRS is a huge bonus when you get into the G series. Also 2850 under the floor without losing any storage space-There are a few people who have traded x-30's on G21 series boats..some of these people being some of the best wakesurfers in the West! The X30 is a great wave, my second favorite. Yes, you do have to get some weight in there..
Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-31-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
I would be interested to here what what your friend finds with the 750 bags vs the 400. Especially when it comes to the wt in the nose. I would love to see the wake with and without the bow ballast. Thx again for all your feedback. Sounds like I need to checkout a G21 at some point .
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-31-2014, 7:31 PM Reply   
New boats rock, no matter what you drive!!! As long as you're surfing happy!!! MB surfer here!!!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-08-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
For future reference, a simple bag swap in the X30, turns it from a "meh" wave, to an awesome one. It should come with 750s in the back, instead of 400s. It makes all the difference in the world. It is too bad that you didn't also try the 650s, out of the Moomba, on your X30 demo as well...... That would have given you a better idea of how it surfed.

Nonetheless, you still ended up with a great surf boat. The SAN230 has an awesome wave.
Old     (sevy)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-08-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
The dealer told me that the rear compartment would not accomidate a larger bag. That is part of the reason that I was disappointed in Mastercraft. I felt that they should have increased the ballast on the GEN 2 set-up when going from an X-10 to an X-30 to allow for more displacement. At this level of boat, it is hard to go wrong. It really comes down to personal preference.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-08-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
Another case of a dealer not doing their homework. I'm not a bit surprised. Most guys are running either 750s, or 1100s in the back of the 2012+ X30s. The 750s will fill all the way, the 1100s wont. They will only hold about 800-850lbs. Also, some of them will throw a couple hundred pounds of lead up front, so you don't have to worry about having a couple passengers up there, when the cockpit area has more than a couple people in it.

Lots of X30s running around with that setup, evenly weighted, and very nice waves. The stock 400lb bags, are just not enough, but it is literally a 5 minute swap, to a excellent wave.
Old     (gunford)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-09-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
750's fit nicely in the rear lockers but when full you can only have a couple of life jackets or ropes on top. I just added 400lbs of lead, 200 in front, 50 in each rear corner and 100 port coffin. Fill all ballast evenly. We surf regular and I like the tab at 60% it seems to make the wave a little longer and still plenty high.