Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lacofdfireman)      Join Date: Aug 2014       08-24-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
I'm 6'5 260 with a size 14 and new to wakeboarding. Just looking to buy our first boat in the next few weeks. I can tell you that having a board and bindings that actually fit would be sweet. Right now using my brother in laws board I have to pour dish soap all over the bindings and barely fit my feet in them it sucks. So what size board and who makes binding that fit my feet? Thx
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-24-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I'm 6'5 260 with a size 14 and new to wakeboarding. Just looking to buy our first boat in the next few weeks. I can tell you that having a board and bindings that actually fit would be sweet. Right now using my brother in laws board I have to pour dish soap all over the bindings and barely fit my feet in them it sucks. So what size board and who makes binding that fit my feet? Thx
I was a former big guy when I started riding. Boards go by weight not height, so with that I would say you should pick something in the 146 range. As far as bindings go try to try some on if possible so you can tell how they fit. I'm a Ronix guy so I can tell you that their boots fit true to size. When I was 260+ I rode a 146 One with One bindings. Wakeboarding was the drive I needed to drop the lbs (over 55lbs) that were going to send me to an early grave. If you stick with something in 146 range and you will be fine. The newer bindings on the market now, you don't need any soap (which will eat up the bindings) to get your foot in. Your foot will slip right in without too much resistance. The higher end stuff is heat moldable so you can have a custom fit to your foot which is really nice. I currently ride a '12 Timebomb with '12 Defy bindings. I don't let anyone put their foot in my boots. I keep my old '10 One setup for guest to use. That way my stuff stays in good shape and nobody blows out the fit. Ramble over!!

Last edited by Bumpass1; 08-24-2014 at 3:27 PM.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
6'3 - 295 to 340 Lbs . I am an old school, open toe boot guy. I was on the Ronix Kai's for several years and now on the Ronix District's. I find they fit my size 14 feet well. I have rode all of the "big" board for all brands. Do a search on WW and you will see serval discussions where I break down my thoughts on the individual boards.
Old     (jonsquatch)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-27-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
6'4 250-330 lbs, currently 300. As a straight beginner all you need is something decent that is big enough to float you that you can get your feet in. Until you have a little practice under your belt you won't know what it is you like and what you dont. If you were 170lbs and wore a 9-10 then you could find people coming out of the woodwork with boards for you to get up on, and progress through and try out untill you knew what you like. You could also find proshops willing to let you demo a bunch of boards once you have a little bit of skill under your belt to find the right one. When the boards and bindings are all special order they don't usually give you that same opportunity.

I had a hard time finding bindings I could get my feet in easily, most shops had 1 or 2 of the big bindings at most and if they don't fit they can order you something. The Liquid Force bindings seem to easily run 1 whole size small and I had trouble getting in and out of the Hyperlite bindings. I find too find that the Ronix bindings run true to size and the CWB bindings were big enough to get my feet into but since I have smallish ankles for a big guy I always had way too much lace left over. I switched to closed toe bindings primarily because I didn't like the laces wrapping around my toes.

Everyones foot is different so try to find something you can try on. I like the Ronix Parks or the precursor the Relic, I have one of each and I love them. For closed toes I also liked the CWB Marius and for open toes I did like the CWB Vapor and the CWB Torq bindings since they had the hinge that allowed easy access. Although with the hinging backs on open toes you only have the glue/stitching on the 6" section on each side of your foot holding you in and I destroyed a pair in about a year. I initially went with the CWB bindings because that is what I could find a 2xl in stock in local shops that I could get my foot in since they had those hinging backs. Once I found Ronix bindings in my size while traveling I was hooked.

The downside of being a big guy is you are buying a board that is pretty much only for you to use and you are pretty much buying your way through demos. If you have a good local pro shop they might be willing to order you a board in to demo and let you swap it out if it doesn't work for you, perhaps for a modest cost. If you don't live close enough to a big retailer or pro shop to try on some bindings but you are planning on spending 3-500 on a pair site unseen then maybe it would be worthwhile to take a trip somewhere you can try on. I know Boardco has a local store (its M&M Watersports in Springville, UT who operates boardco) but I couldn't tell you if they have full access to all the inventory there. If you have a reason to be in Orlando Performance (http://www.perfski.com/) has a huge inventory and I have ordered a ton of stuff from Evo (http://www.evo.com/) if you had a reason to be in Seattle they have a store. Otherwise ordering something Ronix in the 2xl (13-14) might be your best bet but you will have to guess how much flex/stiffness you want. If you go closed toe they pretty much go Parks, Frank, One, Code 55 from most flex to most support.

They have you pretty much hooked up on boards, anything 145 or bigger should work. I ride the Liquid Force Super Trip 147 now, I bought a second one so I have a backup, and I went with the hybrid because I ride cable a handful of times a year. I originally bought it (site unseen) just to be my cable board but after trying it I switched to it for my everything board. I have tried dozens of boards to get to the point I am at now where I have a pretty good idea of what I like. For your first board I would look for the best deal on something used or closeout and probably lean toward something beginner from one of the major manufacturers, Ronix, Liquid Force, Hyperlite, Obrien, CWB, maybe Slingshot from the last 2 - 3 years. You usually don't have to worry about the bindings unless you find one of the weird boards or start to get older than that since they are pretty much interchangeable the only thing you might have to do is swap out 1/4" screws for M6 screws or vice versa. Try to avoid the cheap off brand boards from Dicks or Sports Authority or the like.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-27-2014, 4:11 PM Reply   
Try the 2015 slingshot nomad. It comes in 150, 155, & 160.
Old     (mbad32)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-01-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
I am 6'2' 225-230lbs. 33 years old and have a bad left knee that was repaired 10 years ago after a basketball injury. Used to ride a slingshot response 145 and loved the soft landings and size of he board. New for this season I bought a Ronix bandwagon ATR standard size. I really loved the board after a few sets getting used to it but the landings were no comparison to the softness of the slingshot. If you are heavier and start getting some decent air as you progress you will really like the flex of the all wood slingshot boards. I bought a pair of Ronix frank bindings last years model for $220 they are super light and comfy. I'm only an 11 shoe but I had a buddy that wears 13s squeeze into them. I just road my new slingshot 2013 whip 143 and I really love it even only after 4-5 sets. The day after I got my whip I got the email about the new slingshot lineup which included the nomad. I would recommend the biggest board you can get. It will make your cruising speed slower which is safer especially starting out. Landings will be softer and easier, plus you will actually get more pop of the wake with increased surface area. Slingshot builds their boards fairly light for their size my 145 response was a fairly light board for its size. Hope that helps. You may be stuck buying a new model year for boards from what I've found most the large sizes go first and all that is left for last years or two model year old boards are the tiny 136,137 which is too small for me.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-02-2014, 1:41 PM Reply   
Im 6'3" and 200lbs. I purchased the Ronix One 146 with the One bindings. Could not be happier. Bigger board the better.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-04-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
I'm 6'7 with size 14, my ronix cells sized 13-15 fit perfect. My new JD Webb boots with system bindings in size 13 are snug but 4 hours at the cable yesterday and no complaints