Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (F83Woody)      Join Date: Dec 2019 Location: Kraków Send a message via ICQ to F83Woody       08-12-2020, 3:21 AM Reply   
Hi All -

It's finally coming time for me to own my own boat. I've always grown up on boats and fell in love with wakeboarding/water sports since I was little; however, my father never bought a dedicated wake boat as he primarily ski's (ski-centurions). But hey, we made it work!

Anyways, now it's my turn to buy what I want and looking for some suggestions. I've monitored the market quite extensively for my area, New Jersey, and think my budget fits within newer Moomba's, Axis and smaller Tiges.

I would love to have a 22' or larger boat, but my fiance seems to be dead set on getting a new boat . I still think there's room to sway her to used as long as it is very lightly used. This is where I'm looking for your suggestions. I'm looking to buy in January as this is the earliest I can buy one (wedding is Jan 17th and she'd actually kill me if I bought one before it lol).
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-12-2020, 6:35 AM Reply   
You can get a new Moomba Max which I believe is 22.5' feet with many options for 75k MSRP and work a deal from there. I believe Axis is around the same ballpark. I'm not familiar with the Tige lineup so I can't help you there. New is within the realm of reality though.
Old     (F83Woody)      Join Date: Dec 2019 Location: Kraków Send a message via ICQ to F83Woody       08-13-2020, 3:20 AM Reply   
That's really refreshing to hear. I've never gone onto these manufacturers websites to configure a new one as I typically see what dealerships are selling new ones for through boat trader or only inboards. Good to see those are mostly marked up and new isn't out of reality then! Thanks!
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       08-14-2020, 9:11 AM Reply   
tige isn't going to have anything in that price range new but atx will. a used r23 or z3 should be within your reach used.
max would be a good buy new. I'd wait for the new mojo to come out. bet it'll be at the top or slightly above new and looks to be a complete redesign.
sit on an axis seat and any other brand and you will rule them out. the 2020 I sat on had seats that were the hardest I have ever sat on.

with the market currently, I'd wait until march or april and see what comes up 2020 used. there's a lot of people that have bought boats as first time buyers due to covid and I see a lot of them ending up for sale in the next 1-2 years.
Old     (F83Woody)      Join Date: Dec 2019 Location: Kraków Send a message via ICQ to F83Woody       08-19-2020, 2:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandm01 View Post
tige isn't going to have anything in that price range new but atx will. a used r23 or z3 should be within your reach used.
max would be a good buy new. I'd wait for the new mojo to come out. bet it'll be at the top or slightly above new and looks to be a complete redesign.
sit on an axis seat and any other brand and you will rule them out. the 2020 I sat on had seats that were the hardest I have ever sat on.

with the market currently, I'd wait until march or april and see what comes up 2020 used. there's a lot of people that have bought boats as first time buyers due to covid and I see a lot of them ending up for sale in the next 1-2 years.
Yeah, I didn't expect to get into a new Tige with my budget but saw those models you mentioned used which might be a good fit.

Really like the Max and fits budget new with a good amount of options but for the Mojo, even pricing out a 2020, not seeing how this would fit my budget considering they start at $75k before any options. How much off MSRP do dealers typically take off when buying new?

You make a good point about the used market, hopefully it'll have a good bounce back considering everything was eaten up this year!
Old     (SoulSurfer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       08-19-2020, 3:11 PM Reply   
I don't know about the market at the moment - negotiation may be limited - but in a "normal" market you should be able to get 15-20% off the published prices.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-20-2020, 4:05 AM Reply   
I don't know that 15-20% off Moomba is realistic. They are less expensive, lower margin boats. I don't know but I'm thinking 7-10% is more inline with what you can expect on a Moomba. Again, not at all sure so don't take my word for it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-02-2020, 11:55 PM Reply   
You can get an awesome used boat for that price and save yourself a bunch of depreciation loss. I would suggest budgeting less and saving for a lake house.
I found an older, super clean, 55 hour used 230 for $55,000. As new boats continue to increase in price, I bet I will sell it in 8 years for slightly less.
Old     (F83Woody)      Join Date: Dec 2019 Location: Kraków Send a message via ICQ to F83Woody       09-04-2020, 6:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
You can get an awesome used boat for that price and save yourself a bunch of depreciation loss. I would suggest budgeting less and saving for a lake house.
I found an older, super clean, 55 hour used 230 for $55,000. As new boats continue to increase in price, I bet I will sell it in 8 years for slightly less.
Trust me, this would be my ideal goal to get into a slightly (1-2 year old) boat and save on the depreciation, but my fiance is for new or nothing. I get where she's coming from for getting full warranty, know where the boats been, etc... but I see your point completely!

As for my search, I think I'm really leaning towards a Moomba Max. I built one on their website for $77k albeit it hasn't been updated with 2021 pricing yet; but given I can get at least 7% off msrp, this should put me right where I'd want to be. Everything I've read and seen so far seems that this boat is the best bang for your buck even if the wake isn't the best from factory.

I've also talked to an Axis dealer who seemed optimistic I can make a T22 work in that budget but I would much prefer the bigger bow in the A22 variant.
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       09-05-2020, 5:05 AM Reply   
I'd go ATX, Axis, Mastercraft NXT, Moomba, Sanger, Supreme, and Tige