Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-04-2011, 11:32 PM Reply   
My girl friend and I just started wakeboarding this year and now we are trying to plan a winter trip. She has really picked up wakeboarding over the summer pretty good and she is trying to decide if she should snow board or ski on our winter trip. She has never snow skied or snowboarded before so I am curious if she will pick it up quickly since she can wakeboard? I know most people learn skiing faster than snow boarding so I just want to know if wakeboarding shortens the learning curve? I've been snow boarding for a while and never actually snow skied so she is afraid I'm gonna ditch her on the bunny slopes to go find some more challenging runs.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       11-04-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
I just tried snowboarding for the first time last year and I have been wakeboarding since around '04.
Now this is coming from a snowskiing past but I didn't think that snowboarding was all that similar to wakeboarding.
Other than standing sideways that is....you lean back on a wakeboard and lean forward on a snowboard.
I busted my arse a bunch the first time, not as bad the second time, and much better the third trip. I enjoyed it so
much I just bought my first snowboard! Ready for some snow!

For me learning to snowski was much easier than the snowboarding as far as being able to make it down the steeper stuff sooner.
I pretty much spent the first day and a half on a green hill whereas when skiing I was able to make it down a black diamond by the end of the day.
(not saying it was pretty but I made it down! On the snowboard I would have had issues!
Old     (corey1177)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-06-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
I learned to snowboard before I could wakeboard. When i went to try wakeboarding I got up first try no problem. I assume it would work the same way in reverse
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-06-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
wakeboarding is just like snowboarding ... on a day with about 4" of very heavy sierra cement on top of hardpack. If the conditions are different than that, then weighting is going to feel pretty weird. Riding hardpack, the weight is primarily on the front foot (to learn) and then more balanced as you progress.
Old     (Mindy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-17-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
I wakeboard and snowboard...I started both about the same time, our snow season in the Mt.s is a lot longer than our water is warm. Snowboarding took me longer to get comfortable edging, but I progressed a lot faster with being able to jump and spin...wakeboarding was easier to get up and get going but not so easy to pick up a ton of tricks for me. They def aren't the same, but if she was athletic and coordinated enough to do one, she'll probably be able to do the other. I couldn't imagine wanting to ski.

Last edited by Mindy; 11-17-2011 at 4:12 PM.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-17-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
FWIW, I instruct snowboarding at a small mountain in washington state, well, past tense. I started wakeboarding before snow and personally feel that it is extremely similar. Don't let your girl ski, if she enjoys wake, i promise you she will enjoy snowboarding. If you have the money, private lessons are really where it's at. But, if things are kind of tight and you plan on teaching her yourself, or just want the experience of teaching her yourself, I have no problem helping you out with some of the drills I used to use. But imho if you can, have her take a lesson, it gives you time to ride hard(er) and also keeps you out of the dog house. haha, you would be surprised at how fast you get irritated at each other when trying to teach. Well, good luck whatever you do! I hope you guys have a blast. Once again, if you want some ideas on how to teach feel free to send me a message!
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-06-2012, 9:59 AM Reply   
Bryce, we plan on having her take one of the half day group lessons, not the same as a private lesson but we can't justify the cost. I have decided that I am not going to be the one to each for the reason you just stated, we will get irritated with each other fast. Luckily my cousin is coming too and he is a good snow boarded (so he says) so hopefully he can give her pointers where they are need and keep me out of the dog house. She is getting more and more excited about the trip, she is not really into cold weather so at first the idea of playing in the snow did not get her too excited but she is coming around. Main concern now is with temps in the 40s during the day all week and little to no snow in the forecast how good is the mountain going to be? This year seems pretty crappy for snow, hope mother nature gives us some in the next two weeks.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-09-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
If you're paying for a trip to a large mountain, my suggestion would be to give the snowboard lessons a try, but also check into what type of exchange policy the rental shop has, as if you're going to a big mountain in Colorado or somewhere, you get to experience the large mountain that you just payed all that money to get to a little more on skis, rather than the 100ft of one run you spend your first days snowboarding seeing. Try the board, see how it goes, but don't be afraid to trade it in for skis, because really you're there to enjoy the mountain, at least that's what you paid for, in my opinion.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-10-2012, 7:05 AM Reply   
she went out and bought a board on evo....they had a REALLY good deal. so no rental gear, she HAS to learn haha
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-22-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
I've got to go with boarding here. If she likes being sideways on the water, chances are nearly 100% that she'll like being sideways on the snow. I think the purchase from Evo was a smart one!
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-23-2012, 12:31 AM Reply   
They are completely different. After each snow season I have to re learn rope awareness and control lol.