Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (budgemonster)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-22-2015, 7:00 AM Reply   
Hi all

I am new to wakeboarding and am looking for board advice.

I have just started using the ramps and obstacles on our local cable park and have had an unbelievable offer on a board, but would like some advice as to weather this is suitable or worth getting as it will be better for me as I develop from using the parks hire boards.

I am in the UK
180cm tall
10st (140lb)
Size 9 uk (42)

The board is a Double UP Seven Park 133 (Brand New, un-opened £50)

From reading the board sizes for my weight it is spot on, but at the wake park they have been giving me 142 - 145 boards.
I have used a couple of times a 136 Jobe and this did feel much better, on the larger boards I feel like I am skimming the surface way too much, but do understand that they are easier to learn on.

I have always preferred a smaller Snowboard but am a little confused on the wakeboard weight to length chart accuracy, or for £50 this will be a great board as they only come in a 133, 137, 142 I assume they are meant t o be smaller.

In short for my size and for £50 will the 133 be good for me to progress with?

Cheers
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2015, 8:22 AM Reply   
Sounds a bit small but could work. I'm 142lbs and a little shorter than you and ride a Jobe Conflict 142. That's up from a Conflict 138 previously. Considering that you are geting the board for a song I guess it's worth riding for a while.
Old     (budgemonster)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-22-2015, 8:54 AM Reply   
This seemed an average chart, off my weight it shows me to need a 133cm to 137cm ish

Rider Weight (lbs) Wakeboard Length (cm)
< 100 < 130
90-150 130-134
130-180 135-139
170-250 140-144
200-275+ > 144

I also found this at wing.com

Some other things to consider when buying a wakeboard:

* Height is not a factor
* A beginner will find it easier to get up (out of the water) on a board that is longer because it has more surface area, but you want the proper size when you are riding.
* For a family board, look in the 135-139 range, as it is the most common for all body sizes (unless you have someone over 100kg or under 40kg)

I suppose for the money its a must to try, it would be great to know what I would expect to feel between a 133 and say a 137 when I try it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-22-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
Regardless of the fact that you're a small dude, I would still stick to something in the upper 130s. 136-139cm.

Especially for a beginner, it's much easier to ride a larger board at the cable park. The surface area allows the board to ride higher in the water and give you more speed into features with less effort. Your speed on approach of features will directly affect your ability to get full pulls on features. Come in too slow and you'll always get pulled off early. It'll also be easy as pie to ollie.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2015, 9:08 AM Reply   
IMO that chart is a load of crap. A 150lb rider maxes out at 134? Total baloney.
Old     (budgemonster)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-22-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
Yes it does not help someone like myself trying to find a reasonable board (Price and Make) to enable me to spend more time on the cable getting to know my personal setup when the first guide charts are confusing.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-22-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgemonster View Post
Yes it does not help someone like myself trying to find a reasonable board (Price and Make) to enable me to spend more time on the cable getting to know my personal setup when the first guide charts are confusing.
that's why we're here
Old     (budgemonster)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-23-2015, 7:47 AM Reply   
I am sure I will be seeking all the expertise on here often
Old     (budgemonster)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-25-2015, 5:11 AM Reply   
I went out last night on a very choppy Blackpool wakepark, club night with my new board.
I used the park board a 142 Jobe for first couple of runs, then tried out my 133 Double up Seven Park.

The difference was amazing. The 133 just cut through the choppy waves and moved loads smoother and faster, rather than bouncing over the tops on the longer wider board; turning also felt fantastic and felt nice popping of the waves. I have to thank the guys at the club there also for helping me set it up.

Though a little small for the price I am loving the board.