Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-16-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
I started Wakeboarding this year on a 2006 23lsv that I bought. The owner included a bunch of gear (wakeboard, wakesurf board, wakeskate etc..).

I'm 6ft 185lb and my wife is 5'2" 105lbs
So my wife and I have both learned to ride on the wakeboard he gave us (I use to skate and snowboard so picked up the basics fast). I found the board and here it is:

http://www.boardstop.com/product_inf...id=2645&ref=35

My wife is at the stage where shes riding cleanly and just now learning to try and jump off the wake.
I've been jumping off the wake for a while and just learned 180s. I'm just now learning to clear the wake (wake to wake).

I've never tried any other boards so I don't know what I'm missing, but my main complaint is the bindings. Even when I tighten them up as tight as I can, The front gets real tight but the rear of my foot is just too loose, and I have actually slipped out once! I want to get new bindings.

Do I need a new board too? This board is a 136 which according to some references I have read is way to small for me. Seems like my correct size is around 144ish and my wife would be 132ish. I've always rode smaller boards in everything though, for the better mobility. She doesn't have any complaints about the size of the board, and considering the main downfall of a bigger board is spin speed.. I don't see that being an issue for her anytime soon.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-16-2015, 3:31 PM Reply   
142 would probably be good for you and if the bindings you have are also from 2008 then you will be blown away with a newer set of bindings. Bindings have come along way since 08. I would probably leave your wife on that board unless she is really into progressing and wants a womens specific setup. Do the bindings feel good to her?
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-16-2015, 5:23 PM Reply   
Reading into the board, it says :
"Performance "Full" Shape - Down Size 2-3cm -1/2in wider; can be ridden 2-3cm shorter."

So maybe it's not too terribly small.

Anyways, her only complaint is with the bindings as well. They are too big on her. We tighten them up and her legs don't fall out, but the rear of her feet are loose, just like mine. That's why I don't know whether I should get a new board and bindings and then get an even smaller set of bindings to put on the old board for her to use. Or if I should just get a smaller set of bindings and use the same old board.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-16-2015, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hmm. To me boots are the most crucial part of wakeboard gear. I can ride any board but if I feel the bindings don't fit well they are out. If your heels aren't being locked down and you feel you have to ratchet them tight you are risking injury. If you have the cash I'd be definitely upgrading, new gear is very comfortable and light Nothing wrong with getting a bigger board too if you need the excuse
Old    MrDearybury            09-17-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
If you are still looking for a board i can get you hooked up with anything in the Hyperlite or Byerly lineup. I can go through each board with you and pair you up with the best board to match your skill set
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-19-2015, 8:57 PM Reply   
you definitely want to get some more rider specific gear\ fitted to suit your needs. Binding technology has improved tremendously as has fit. You both will love the new bindings and their feel. As far as that shane board, its a pretty difficult board to learn on. The really aggressive rocker will make it very inconsistent off the wake.

Check out evo.com for closeouts at some steal of a price. The new board shapes and technology also will help you progress much quicker. That shane board is not forgiving when learn new tricks
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-20-2015, 5:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
you definitely want to get some more rider specific gear\ fitted to suit your needs. Binding technology has improved tremendously as has fit. You both will love the new bindings and their feel. As far as that shane board, its a pretty difficult board to learn on. The really aggressive rocker will make it very inconsistent off the wake.

Check out evo.com for closeouts at some steal of a price. The new board shapes and technology also will help you progress much quicker. That shane board is not forgiving when learn new tricks
Hmm interesting. I will start looking around for new gear for both of us.

What is it about the rocker that makes it 'harder'? Since I haven't tried any other boards, I don't know the difference at this point. Whats the rocker do that could make it easier or harder?
Old    MrDearybury            09-21-2015, 5:19 AM Reply   
the rocker is going to be about how much "pop" the board has, the industry is moving away from 3 stage rockers because wakes have gotten so big these days. Many rocker types, three stage, blended 3 stage, continuous. Also dont check evo lol kidding awesome company i may be able to help and beat their prices. Email me dearybury21@yahoo.com
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-23-2015, 11:17 PM Reply   
We have been looking around at our options and come up with a possibility for both of us.

I'm 6ft 185lb she is 5'2" and 105lb

How is the 144cm 2015 ronix vault for me? is 144 to big for my weight? I generally ride smaller board than avg for skateboarding/snowboarding just because I usually prefer control over easy landing. However maybe on water stability might be a good thing, where trying a trick over and over again to perfect the landing is a much bigger hassle than skateboarding/snowboarding. The vault also comes in a 139cm variant, but that might be too small! The other thing that worries me is it seems to be a unique design to help with toeside jumps. Usually adv. come wit Disadv. What are the disadvantages of this then?

My wife is thinking about either the 134cm Ronix Krush , 132cm Ronix Faith Love or 130cm Ronix quarter til midnight. I think for her landing and stability would be key, but I'm not sure if 134cm is just to big for her weight. Any advice on which one?

Last edited by timelinex; 09-23-2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old    MrDearybury            09-24-2015, 5:34 AM Reply   
If you are interested in Hyperlite or byerly boards hit me up. I can put you on the right board that will help you progress and get it cheap. dearybury21@yahoo.com
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-25-2015, 8:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDearybury View Post
If you are interested in Hyperlite or byerly boards hit me up. I can put you on the right board that will help you progress and get it cheap. dearybury21@yahoo.com
I will let you know if I decide on one of those...for now I'm thinking about the boards I mentioned ed
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-25-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
I will let you know if I decide on one of those...for now I'm thinking about the boards I mentioned ed
I wished I could help you. For the girls board, I would go with the faith,hope,love board. The vault is okay but you will find yourself wanting to upgrade after a full season. I would look more at a LF Harley or Classic. The vault is the very entry level Ronix. I wouldn't worry about the toeside assist affecting much. Check put blemboard.com for some good deals too. The white and black Ctrl RX going for 170 is a good deal. I have rode that board and it has good pop, easy to ride and you will grow into it. I really feel like I could throw boards at you all day long but it really depends on your riding style.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-26-2015, 9:59 AM Reply   
Man serioysly if you skated when you were younger you should jump on a wakeskate. Degree of difficulty way higher and way more skate influenced. After skating I would compare wakeboarding more to gymnastics then a core board sport.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-26-2015, 10:35 PM Reply   
Alright. My wife decided on the Faith love 132 board with halo bindings most likely (not 100% sure on bindings yet).

I looked at the harley and I liked almost everything about it except it looks like it has a very aggressive 3 stage rocker.. made for "expert" riding. Honestly from the pictures, the bottom looks like just my LF shane, that others said might be too aggressive for my stage of skill.

I looked at the Ronix District board and it seems to get alot of good reviews and people overall rave about it. So I think I decided on it. I should get the 143, not the 138 right? (I fluctuate weight between 183lb and 195lb)

Lastly should I pair it with the Divide bindings or District Bindings?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-27-2015, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Alright. My wife decided on the Faith love 132 board with halo bindings most likely (not 100% sure on bindings yet).

I looked at the harley and I liked almost everything about it except it looks like it has a very aggressive 3 stage rocker.. made for "expert" riding. Honestly from the pictures, the bottom looks like just my LF shane, that others said might be too aggressive for my stage of skill.

I looked at the Ronix District board and it seems to get alot of good reviews and people overall rave about it. So I think I decided on it. I should get the 143, not the 138 right? (I fluctuate weight between 183lb and 195lb)

Lastly should I pair it with the Divide bindings or District Bindings?
As a person that has owned both the Harley and Shane, they are two different boards. I wouldn't put a lot of thought into the graphics of a board. The Harley has some spines that run parallel down the board that help with the track of the board and landings. The Shane is a lot more loose and has flex. Is there a reason you are leaning Ronix? You should look at getting some closed toe bindings. Most riders prefer them over open toe. I would spend more on bindings than the board.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-27-2015, 6:34 AM Reply   
You are 80lbs and 10" apart size-wise... I suspect your feet are nowhere near the same size. Get two boards. If nothing else - you NEED two different sized boots unless you somehow have the same sized feet.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-28-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
As a person that has owned both the Harley and Shane, they are two different boards. I wouldn't put a lot of thought into the graphics of a board. The Harley has some spines that run parallel down the board that help with the track of the board and landings. The Shane is a lot more loose and has flex. Is there a reason you are leaning Ronix? You should look at getting some closed toe bindings. Most riders prefer them over open toe. I would spend more on bindings than the board.
Your definitely right about the closed toe boots. Thats what I need. We ride through the winter with a wet suit (doesn't get terribly cold in AZ). My body was fine but feet were numb last year from the cold... I'm sure the boots gotta help.

As far as why Ronix... no particular reason really. I just heard good things about the company, so as a new guy with no other reference, I go with what I know. I'm definitely open to other brands, and looked at all the recommendations.

When I compared my current board to the Harley, I wasn't talking about the graphics. I was saying the features layout looks very similar. It's got that aggressive 3 stage rockers, and everything I read usually says to stear clear of the aggressive 3 stage rockers unless your really good.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-29-2015, 10:24 AM Reply   
All bought.

I got the 143 district with Frank baitmaster ct boots. My wife got the 132cm faith love board with faith love ct boots.

The only thing I'm worried about with the district is that it seems like a really good 'all around' board... anything good all around generally makes major sacrifices in other areas. But Maybe it's for the best and once I become better I can decide my riding style and change the board. I read it's really wide though, what are the disadvantages of this.. Isn't it gonna be much harder to cut and maneuver?

Anyways, thanks for the advice guys. Can't wait to step onto a board that fits me. Last time out I was fighting my loose bindings the entire time. My foot even popped out one of the the falls.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-29-2015, 2:05 PM Reply   
I'm a Ronix guy so I am partial, but you made some great choices. Don't overthink you decision on the District. It is a killer and often underrated board. The additional width will make it a little slower edge to edge, but it will float you higher too. So overall it will be more forgiving and faster. By most standards it is not a wide board. Look up the widths of LFs 143 sized boards. Ronix boards tend to be narrower.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       09-29-2015, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thanks, hopefully will turn out good.

It's been so frustrating trying to find any information on gear for this sport. Any other sport I have ever done (or do) has an avid online community with a ton of information and reviews on everything. Wakeboarding seems to be in its infancy online and barely any info and information, with forums that aren't frequented
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-30-2015, 6:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thanks, hopefully will turn out good.

It's been so frustrating trying to find any information on gear for this sport. Any other sport I have ever done (or do) has an avid online community with a ton of information and reviews on everything. Wakeboarding seems to be in its infancy online and barely any info and information, with forums that aren't frequented
It is more difficult to explain than you think. It is like snowboarding but with an even more personal feel. I have friends that ride insane and they ride boards that grip the water insanely and others than ride just as insanely with a really loose board. It all depends on your personal preference. I have been wakeboarding for over 5 years and I have rode a lot of boards. My style comes from snowboarding so I like the loose, flexy feel. Others like the trippy hard boards, others like the loose, hard boards. It really comes down to your riding style. The new board you got, if your ride it long enough, it will help define your style. I suggest you ride a new board every chance you get and make sure you check out the bottom of the board. Once you get more experience, you will know what you like.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-02-2015, 10:27 AM Reply   
My wife got her board/boots yesterday and we went out. I took the center fin off like most people recommend. At first she wasn't sure about them because it felt REALLY different. Then by the end, after some adjustments, she really liked it.

I'm still waiting for my new setup. HOWEVER, I did take off the fins off my current shane board. WOW, what a difference it made!! It felt like a completely different board. At first I wasn't sure I liked it, because it was much sloppier on the water. Once I Got used to it though, I think I started really liking it. It was much easier to recover from bad landings or water choppyness. Also, surface tricks were a breeze. The board just glided on the water. Obviously this isn't any 'new' information for you guys haha. I 've read such accounts my self. But it feels so different when your the one riding vs reading about it.
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       10-12-2015, 12:02 PM Reply   
Finally had the chance to try the new setup.

The absolutely biggest difference for me is the comfort of the new bindings. My feet feel so great and solid in the new bindings, compared to the old ones were I was constantly stressing about my feet feeling like my circulation is being cut off in some areas but other areas getting ready to come out of the bindings.

As far as the board goes. The number one difference is how easy it is to get up out of the water. Sounds trivial, but it was actually very nice. With my past 136cm board I obviously never had an issue getting up because I knew how to, but it would most definitely take a good amount of energy to hold on. This board pops right up with minimal energy wasting! Love it.

Other than that it's mostly all the same just many things are overall smoother in every way. Definitely easier to recover from bad landings. But overall nothing that 'changed the game' sort of speak (like the new bindings that fit right).