Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hornrapids1)      Join Date: Sep 2015       09-21-2015, 12:45 PM Reply   
Hello all,
Really excited to start wakeboarding. Just bought my first boat a 2005 supra launch and only been out a few times. Just to FYI I kiteboard weekly. Kiting is my first love. Now with the boat I can be on the river when the wind isn't blowing. Just being new I do not have a wakeboard so I have used my mako kiteboard behind the boat. Feels good plus it cuts through the chop like no other. I was going to to ask if I need a wakeboard or what the advantages of a wake over the kite board were?
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-21-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat! I just recently started kiteboarding and figured I could just use my wakeboard with my kite. Some guys at the local kite shop near me though explained that wakeboards are designed to pop off of waves, while kiteboards, as you mentioned, are designed to cut through them. So even though pop behind a boat mostly a result of technique, you might notice a difference with such drastic design differences. I could be totally wrong here as I'm pretty new to the world of kiteboarding, but after riding a few different kiteboards, it made sense to me. But I honestly think your best bet would be to purchase a wakeboard/boot combo from 2013 or 2014 for a screamin deal and go tear it up!
Old     (challengerwake)      Join Date: Mar 2015       09-22-2015, 6:31 AM Reply   
Yeah you will eventually need to get a wakeboard. Kiteboards tend have a flatter rocker line compared to a wakeboard which has more. As stated above you will not have any pop off the wake with you kiteboard. I would suggest going with something like a slingshot it will feel more what you are used to.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-22-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
Or you can lose the boots and just start wake skating.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-22-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
As a former kiter who now rides wake much more often, you're going to want to get a wakeboard and proper bindings. The flat rocker used in kiting is great when you need the speed to make the apparent wind work, but typically in wakeboarding you will have a constant speed. To me continuous rocker boards felt more natural, but your mileage may vary.

Tried riding one of my old lightwave boards at a cable park once, and kept overshooting in the turns as the board was just too fast.

Now is the time to buy a board for sure there are some amazing deals out there. Don't think you have to spend the top dollar money, last year's gear is still great!
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-23-2015, 5:36 AM Reply   
Check out Slingshot boards. Pretty sure they started out as a kiteboarding company and expanded to wakeboards. As others have said, don't hesitate to buy 2013 or 14 gear, blemboard and evo gear are 2 sites with good selection and discounts.