Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Greg2223)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-28-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Anybody rode the hyperlite systems? Im looking into picking these up and just wanna hear what everybody has to say before I do. Seem like they will be nice for cable and winching
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-28-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
Yes, get them for cable if you wear them in the boat the owner will hate you for wearing shoes and stepping all over their interior, i was just about redy to kill my friend this summer stomping all over my boats inteior in those moon boats. That said they would be extremely practical for cable. Thats my .02
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-28-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
They are really nice for boat and cable. Have a completely different feel and the board feels very connected. They aren't bad for boat, you just gotta take em off when the boat is coming around to pick you up. Pretty simple stuff.
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-28-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
I agree with what has already been said. I demoed a set last summer and really liked them. It is a little weird trying to swim in them. I really want a set, but have a brand new set if teams, so it is hard to justify them. They do make you feel very connected to the board and your movements are transferred straight to the board with out any flex in the baseplates. The feel is very hard to explain without riding them. But I liked them and my riding buddy took a set in them too and he liked them as well.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-28-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
I've been riding em since the day they came out. They are so sick, I am mainly a boat rider but I have done a lot of winching and cable riding with the systems with Mareks, murrays, and webbs and all are dope boots and set up. You won't be disappointed
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-31-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
I have The System with Kobalt boots and love the feel. As others have said, the feel is like you're strapped barefooted on the board. Edge to edge control feels much more precise. I don't know what the complaint about walking around the boat with them because who would want to stay in the boots anyways after a set? Take the boots off while your sittlng at the platform. Another small thing I like is that when you put the board up after a set in the wakeboard rack that has The System bindings there's no boots with water dripping down on people or the gunwale of the boat.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-10-2012, 3:28 PM Reply   
i brought the system bindings (marek) to replace my CWB Answers as my foot kept coming half out of them on a bad bail then tearing ligaments.

They feel a bit unusual to start with but once you get used to them they are sweet. You feel everything on the board, so if you land badly you will feel it more than a binding with more padding. Board control is much better though. In the boat i just keep them strapped to the board then remove them prior to riding.

They are incredibly buoyant so when you unstrap them your feet float very quickly to the surface.

The boots are awesome but the straps still feel a bit cheap and brittle compared to my snow ones. Hopefully this gets improved in future years. Good product overall though
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-19-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Where is the best place and price to get the system and boot package? 2011 and 12. just looking for the best deal.
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-01-2012, 8:26 PM Reply   
I wear a size 13 shoe and the hyperlite system boots were all too small. Any specific reason why this is, and why we big boys cant ride the new systems?
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-02-2012, 4:14 AM Reply   
I have been interested in this system but am a little unsure. I can't trial them, if I wanted to I'd have to buy them and I'm not sure if in the end they will be much if any better then what I'm riding now.
I like the reports on them but I don't like the snow board type ratchet tightening system. Last snow season I had alot of trouble with crappy bindings...
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-02-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
I got a pair first thing last season. I still like the comfort of my Cell's over my Systems, but they are a solid boot that I use a lot. I mainly got them for winching and cable - which they are SUPER LEGIT for. Don't have to worry about rocks or rubbing your heels raw getting in and out of your boots 100 times. Also are great for cold weather as your feet don't get cold. They do collect some sand inside, but you just rinse them out, no worries.
Give them a shot, if you ride cable or winch at all, you will really appreciate the convience and speed of them.
Old     (dud77)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-03-2012, 12:22 PM Reply   
I bought them last year. Took them out 3 times and sold them at a big loss. I did not like them at all. It completely changes the board feel. Makes the board very tight in the water. Like adding 6 fins to the bottom of your board. I ride boat only though might be cool for cable.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2012, 4:56 PM Reply   
^^^ yeah it makes it more responsive. Maybe you should have taken the fins off your board or perhaps tried a looser board. It didn't make my Murray or franchise seem any more grippy.
Old     (wakesetter1989)      Join Date: Nov 2011       02-28-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
I wear a size 13 shoe and tried on the 2011 kobalts in a 12/13 and found them too small. Are they any other options for us big guys to wear the systems, or do i have to go with something else? thanks
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-29-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
So I've ridden the 2011 System/Murray combo before but I was told by the Hyperlite rep that the 2012 gear is sized a little differently. He said that the footbeds are different and the boots all run smaller this year. Anyone have experience 11-12?

My local dealer doesn't have em in yet, any help?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-29-2012, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dud77 View Post
I bought them last year. Took them out 3 times and sold them at a big loss. I did not like them at all. It completely changes the board feel. Makes the board very tight in the water. Like adding 6 fins to the bottom of your board. I ride boat only though might be cool for cable.
I rode systems all last year and never had the experience that it locked the board in. It just makes more responsive, and if you aren't used to it it can cause you to over edge. Had that issue a few times early. Oh and bad wrecks caused the 11's toe strap to slide under the toes of the boots. Buying 12s toes straps this year
Old     (Greg2223)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-29-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
how much of a difference is the 2012 toestrap? ive had a couple issues with it moving around a little on hard crashes as well. Does hyperlite just sell the strap?
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-01-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
I've been riding the new 2012 systems since late last year. They improved the toe strap incredibly. Hyperlite does offer a "toe strap kit" to modify the 1st generation systems.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-01-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautiboy614 View Post
I've been riding the new 2012 systems since late last year. They improved the toe strap incredibly. Hyperlite does offer a "toe strap kit" to modify the 1st generation systems.
I check ed their site, no where to order them. Do you know how to get them?
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-01-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Check with your local dealer. Or call HL direct (800) 938-4040. I'm sure they'll help you out or point you in the right direction.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
Jim, are the sizes pretty true? What shoe size do you wear & what boot size do you sport?
Old     (curtbernstein)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-02-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
The systems tend to run on the smaller side. I wear a size 10 shoe, and I am riding the size 11 boots in the systems. The footbeds also run on the narrower side, so if you have a wide foot like me, I would encourage trying the boots on without their original footbeds too. I have been using a much thinner and flatter footbed inside my boots which has worked great for me!

I definitely recommend trying the boots on in a shop rather than ordering online. It's pretty high end boot setup designed for better board response above all, so inevitably the fits are more precise. If you take the time to try them on and get the proper fit so you get your $'s worth and be veryyyy happy with them
Old     (broke_folk)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-27-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Called my local shop and they ordered the Upgraded toe strap kit for me for the 10/11 system bindings. Also called Hyperlite to ask for new ladders for both toe & ankle straps & they sent them to me for no cost. Gotta love warranty dept. Now I’m itchin’ to go back out in the water.

Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-13-2012, 2:41 AM Reply   
i didnt even know that strap was out. that would solve half the issues with the bindings.

Ive ridden mine a bit more now, and think they are pretty sharp. They ride beautifully and for people like me who have bad ankles are really secure and lock you in. Id love a boa lace system on the top of the boot as well, but realise others probably dont.

Id definitley reccomend people try them.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-13-2012, 5:26 AM Reply   
I just bought the '12 system bindings and Murray boots the other day, they seem really loud (creaks and rubbing) when strapped in and stretching around, does this continue or is it just because mine are brand new?
Old     (Delt725)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-13-2012, 3:25 PM Reply   
Do you ever get ejected from these or do they not release your feet?
Old     (broke_folk)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-13-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
Changed out my ratchets for some snowboarding ones. Hopefully they work as well.

Old     (greg_nelson)      Join Date: May 2009       04-14-2012, 3:20 AM Reply   
Nice work guys customizing your System's and Boots, that's the beauty of it all. I added the Toe Strap Kit to the actual System product page; http://hyperlite.com/WAKEBOARD-BINDI...n-s/The-System.

Lot's of Systems this week at Wake Games, I know we're giving them out and paying guys to ride them, but there were a few there on their own. I got a few sets already and still really enjoy them, Happy Feet.

I'm locking my highback now and mounting my anklestrap high in the inside, low on the outside, working pretty good, but I'm going to keep messing with it.

Nelson
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-14-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
Greg, thanks for the heads up on how you set up your ankle strap. I haven't ridden mine yet but when playing around with them, I liked how they felt with the ankle strap low and the highback locked. But in looking at most of the riders, I noticed nearly all have the highback moveable and the ankle straps up high. I have since moved them back to that. Never even thought about the high/low setup you mentioned.

Looking forward to finally riding tomorrow, stoked to ride my Systems and new Franchise.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-16-2012, 6:43 AM Reply   
Got to shred the new whip over the weekend and damn am I impressed! The system setup is sick. I read a bunch of people saying they didn't like it for boat riding bc of stepping all over the boat while wearing boots, swimming in boots, etc... but I found it really convenient getting setup on the rear deck and swimming was no problem. I was also curious if you would come out of boots/ bindings on a digger.. The answer is yes, if it's a banger. Took a good one yesterday and somehow my ankle strap came undone and foot was halfway out of the boot. Honestly, I was kind of happy I popped loose and came out, but it will be interesting to see how many times it happens before I have to buy new ladders.. Other than that I cannot say enough positive things about the functionality. The level of foot comfort and responsiveness to my cuts was just awesome.

Speaking of ladders, EG I really like how you changed your ratchets out. Any info on which ones you used and where you picked them up? I have a question, if the ratchets can be changed to a "snowboarding" style can I buy new ladders that were meant for a snowboarding set of bindings? I'd like to throw some colored ladders in the mix.. here's my deck, maybe teal or another loud color like these bindings?
Attached Images

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-16-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
Got to shred the new whip over the weekend and damn am I impressed! The system setup is sick. I read a bunch of people saying they didn't like it for boat riding bc of stepping all over the boat while wearing boots, swimming in boots, etc... but I found it really convenient getting setup on the rear deck and swimming was no problem. I was also curious if you would come out of boots/ bindings on a digger.. The answer is yes, if it's a banger. Took a good one yesterday and somehow my ankle strap came undone and foot was halfway out of the boot. Honestly, I was kind of happy I popped loose and came out, but it will be interesting to see how many times it happens before I have to buy new ladders.. Other than that I cannot say enough positive things about the functionality. The level of foot comfort and responsiveness to my cuts was just awesome.

Speaking of ladders, EG I really like how you changed your ratchets out. Any info on which ones you used and where you picked them up? I have a question, if the ratchets can be changed to a "snowboarding" style can I buy new ladders that were meant for a snowboarding set of bindings? I'd like to throw some colored ladders in the mix.. here's my deck, maybe teal or another loud color like these bindings?
The problem wiht most snowboarding bindings is they are 4 hole systems, I beleive the burton est series is 2 hole and can be used
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-16-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
The system boots are great, my favorite thing about them is super soft landings..it does feel like you have more edge control as well... I like the webbs the best, perfectly stiff and not too high up the ankle. SOOO good for pressing since you are riding so much closer to the board than normal boots. yay for these boots
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-16-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
Chris, he's talking about using the ladders not the entire binding (ladders being the part that the ratchet teeth grab on to).

I also got to ride my setup for the first time yesterday. Really like the systems, you feel very connected and they are super comfortable. Gotta get used to the board and get in shape. My fat ass got broke off twice yesterday!
Old     (broke_folk)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-16-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
@ Brett33
I got some ratchets through some trades on snowboarding forums. Luckily, I got all 4 ratchets that match. I've tried other companies ratchets (union, ride, & drake) and burton were the only ones that fit SNUG. I used the hyperlite hardware (screws) to make them fit. BTW- they're toe ratchets. Ankle ratchets were too big.
As for ladders, I know that burton ladders are a lot longer and a lil thicker than hyperlite's ladders.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-17-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
So you used 4 Burton toe ratchets for the swap. Any idea what model binding they came off of? In theory, shouldn't 4 toe ladders from Burton (the ladders that would come in and work with those bindings/ ratchets) work? Longer ladders are really what I need for my ankle straps. If the Burton ladders are thicker than Hyperlite's and you're running Burton ratchets, wouldn't your new ratchets slip easier off the Hyperlite ladders?
Old     (broke_folk)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-17-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
So you used 4 Burton toe ratchets for the swap. Any idea what model binding they came off of?
The ratchets came off the upgraded burton gettagrip capstrap upgrade kit. But if you're looking for different colors, the ratchets look familiar to the ratchets off the Malavita snowboard binding.

Quote:
In theory, shouldn't 4 toe ladders from Burton (the ladders that would come in and work with those bindings/ ratchets) work?
Yes, in theory. I do have the ladders but did not think of it and trying them out on the system bindings. I might have to look into that.

Quote:
Longer ladders are really what I need for my ankle straps. If the Burton ladders are thicker than Hyperlite's and you're running Burton ratchets, wouldn't your new ratchets slip easier off the Hyperlite ladders?
AS you can see in the 2nd (HUGE) picture, width wise, they fit fine. When I mentioned that burton ladders are much thicker than HL ladders, they just felt a bit beefier/stiffer per se. As for slippage, The ratchets seem to work well with HL ladders and also hold a good lock them and I have not used the bindings yet with this ratchet set-up. so I'll chime in when I do.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-19-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
Are the 2012's different from the11's? How do you "lock" the highback and mount the ankle strap high or low? Not very impressed with my 2011's and looking for a way to make them fit better.
Old     (ClutchIndustries)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-19-2012, 6:26 PM Reply   
K2 Snowboarding ladders will slide right into the system housing with zero modifications. Their ladders have a metal stop on the bottom allowing the ladders to move around and out of the way easier when getting into your bindings.

-Ross
Old     (Wald0)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-20-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Does anybody who has size 13 use them i have big feet and i worry if i get them and it dont fit..? cant even test them any where right now..im intrested mainly marek or murray boots..
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-20-2012, 12:18 PM Reply   
Matthew,
The '12s are different from the '11s but I believe they both have the option to lock the highback and move the ankle strap up down. Don't quote me on that one though.

With my '12s they came with a baggy of other hardware that include a nut that will go through two of the mounting holes and lock the highback in place. Using this same nut you can have the ankle strap connect at the lower section instead of the connection on the highback itself.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-21-2012, 7:58 AM Reply   
Anyone have a contact email for hyperlite for wareanty inquiries? I picked up a pair of 2011 systema on clearence and the toe strap on one of them will not stay ratched down while i am riding. Talked to the dealer about it and all they want to do is sell me the toe upgrade kit for $30
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-21-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
Anybody got a picture of the highbacks locked? What's the benifit of the high/low placement of the heel straps? Comfort? Heel lock? Anybody do this with 2011's. Picked up a pair in the off season and not real impressed so far, granted they are not fully broken in and I am still riding in cold water and they are stiff.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-23-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, I have some bad news to report. Over the weekend a few friends and I went camping. We loaded the boat up with all our gear and took off up river to a "off the grid" location. Got some great riding in on my new setup (2nd weekend I've had it out) until I blew out a toe strap on my '12 systems doing a HS FS 3. The strap broke on the anchor side, not the ratchet side. Needless to say, that killed my weekend of riding. I'm pretty pissed bc these things are brand new and there is no reason why they should have broke on such a mellow fall (stomped the spin, popped the handle and just floated down). I'll post a pic later today, but anybody else breaking these straps that easy?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-23-2012, 11:18 AM Reply   
brett, that sucks man! I rode mine again yesterday and am really starting to love these boots. I took a fall that I thought would be tough on the Systems and they are holding up fine. Hope you get them fixed up and it was a one time issue.

melvin, honestly a picture wouldn't show you much. It looks like the highback is up and it just doesn't move. The benefit of lower point is options, it gives it a different feel and depending on your preference you can dial them in how you want.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-04-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
1. The ratchets on the straps are absolute garbage. In comparison to burton or any other "snowboard company," the ratchets that come on the HL Systems are bulky, cheap, and the release is catchy. Like others, I instantly put new Burton toe ratchets (the smaller size) in replacement of the original ones.

2. I am using the toe strap in the very front of the boot with the bottom side of the strap touching the board. Overall the best fit using the the original strap with little up/down toe movement. Over the top was uncomfortable and put pressure on the side of my feet. (I wonder why majority of snowboard companies go over the toe?)

3. Boots! I have marks and the fit is surprising good. Its been a while since I can say HL has made a solid boot. Back to the original 3DS and Murray closed toe.. best boot HL has made to date. I have heard they are slightly small and everyone is right. I am a 10 to 10.5 vans and got the 11sz Marek boot. Small. My toe is slightly pushing against the end. I took out the footbed and voila. Money fit!

4. Binder Highback! Why the hell would you reinvent the wheel and have a funky highback... I locked mine out the best i could but still, there is movement that is unnecessary. Totally odd to me why HL did this but someone inform me why this is good!

5. Lastly, the system and boots are awesome for winching and riding cable. Not really realistic for myself riding boat and having to put boots and bindings on, but good idea and poor execution on the design and function of the binding.