Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2016, 10:37 AM Reply   
Couldn't tell you the last time I logged into Wakeworld but it's good to be back.

Been checking out some of the videos and stuff and I am noticing it's cool again to ride without a life jacket. (FYI that T Shirt looks sick but it isn't going to save your life)

How long will it be till one of these up and coming rippers dies because it's just not cool to wear a life jacket?

I bet most of you don't even remember what happened to Corey Kraut back in the day so I figured I'd post this video to remind you:

Have fun, Be safe!!
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-16-2016, 11:16 AM Reply   
or Chad Sharpe http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/blog/...ush-with-death
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-16-2016, 11:28 AM Reply   
I've finally retired my comp vest even for when I/we surf. You only have to exhale while in the water to see if your current life jacket will float you.

I used to be the young guy wakeboarding without a life jacket or the odd surf more recently. Then always used a comp vest which really did nothing floatation wise. But, having children has changed that for me anyway. I'm not risking my nor anyone else's death because I/they are too cool to wear a life jacket.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2016, 1:26 PM Reply   
Welcome back. I'm still riding O'Brien because of your previous recommendations.

Good story and so important to remember. There wasn't a lot of publicity about it but there was a drowning a few years ago where the rider was wearing an A-10 vest.
Old     (ssevey17)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-16-2016, 5:30 PM Reply   
A few years ago I switch to a jet pilot apex usgc approved vest. I love it. It is side entry and still has a lot of style to it. I wouldn't use anything else now!

http://store.jetpilot.com/product/?catID=47&prodID=690
Old     (Jrobb)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-16-2016, 6:18 PM Reply   
Oh yea i remember Cory k. I also remember that after that wakeboard mag would not post any photos of anyone without a vest on. From a personal standpoint being someone who use to compete I have definitely wrecked hard enough to knock myself out. I can safely say i would never ride without a vest on.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2016, 10:19 PM Reply   
I posted a similar "why aren't they wearing a life vest" on one of the Texas surfing sites. One of the replies I got was..."Well...I'm from Cali and I've been surfing the ocean since way back...and none of the surfers wear vests. So behind the boat...only doing 10-11 mph I think I'll be ok...or something to the sort. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm with Dave above. My kids always wear behind the boat, on the Jet Ski, and sometimes have them floating with them when we are chilling behind the boat. Also have a bunch of diapers in the water to sit on. I've hit my head back in the day doing a front flip on a kneeboard. PLUS....vest are more comfortable and cooler looking then ever. Pad your ribs a little also.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-17-2016, 7:31 AM Reply   
I've been seeing and thinking the same thing. It's all cool until you don't come up after a fall. We recently fully integrated our provincial wake tour to include surf and I was surprised to hear the surfers commenting on people without vests. Along the lines of "wear a vest you idiot!" when I asked them if they genuinely felt that way they all replied without hesitation "YES!". They've said in surf they've seen dislocated shoulders, people take boards to the heads, and other injuries that all make it difficult if not impossible to swim. Play hard, play safe, and come home to your family and friends.
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-17-2016, 10:46 AM Reply   
I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a life jacket.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-17-2016, 5:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishok View Post
I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a life jacket.
You could likely be found dead without one...your call though
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-17-2016, 6:56 PM Reply   
That's the point.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2016, 9:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishok View Post
That's the point.
I got your point the first time. Clever.
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       09-18-2016, 8:05 AM Reply   
We have had had to pull off throttle twice now. Once the the driver paniced becuase my son through my hat in the water and my buddy almost hit the boat. The other time a guy pulling tubers drove in front of us and to avoid hitting a kid on a tube I pulled off throttle and my wife hit the back of the boat with her head. she lucky always wears a helmet but there was a pretty big mark on the boat and the helmet. I have also had two neighbours get staples in there head from a surf board hitting them in the head. So we now require helmets and a life jacket behind our boat.
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       09-18-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
IT's been a long time since I've been back on this site as well. Almost 13 years now and I've noticed the same thing with ditching the life vests. Unfortunately history repeats itself and it will only be a matter of time despite all the public urging. I recently bought an O'Neill Slasher comp vest this past season and used it once. It had what felt like zero flotation and also it would roll up over my face like a hockey jersey in an NHL fight. Needless to say I retired that one pretty quickly this summer.

Glad to see there is still a wake boarding community online these days. Was pretty disappointing getting back into wake boarding this year after a good 13 years away from the sport only to find the lakes overrun with beautiful expensive wakeboard boats chugging at 11 mph so people could surf. As a guy who only wake surfed on July 4th and Labor day weekend and the rest of the year in the ocean, it's a strange concept for me but things change.
Old     (Boyce604)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-18-2016, 2:14 PM Reply   
I race a lot of Motocross. And my kids have every piece of gear. I wear knee braces, neck roll, helmet, boots, yada yada yada.

I hate when people think they look "cool" not to wear a helmet when out riding trails and stuff. I've been down hard quite a few times and it happens really fast.

I dont let my kids even touch the bikes until they have all their gear on.

Same with on the Lake. Its life vest or not going. Never know what can happen.

Last edited by Boyce604; 09-18-2016 at 2:16 PM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-19-2016, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakober View Post
Couldn't tell you the last time I logged into Wakeworld but it's good to be back.

Been checking out some of the videos and stuff and I am noticing it's cool again to ride without a life jacket. (FYI that T Shirt looks sick but it isn't going to save your life)

How long will it be till one of these up and coming rippers dies because it's just not cool to wear a life jacket?

I bet most of you don't even remember what happened to Corey Kraut back in the day so I figured I'd post this video to remind you:

Have fun, Be safe!!

I remember it like yesterday when I heard about Corey. I was fortunate enough to ride a demo with him a few weeks before the accident. I would never even think about riding without a vest after that. I notice this too, the trend is very alive in wakeskating and wakesurfing.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-19-2016, 11:34 AM Reply   
Glad you are still rocking O'Brien! They are doing some pretty amazing things. What are you riding now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshugan View Post
Welcome back. I'm still riding O'Brien because of your previous recommendations.

Good story and so important to remember. There wasn't a lot of publicity about it but there was a drowning a few years ago where the rider was wearing an A-10 vest.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-19-2016, 11:35 AM Reply   
I gotta say I am pretty blown away by the positive responses I am getting on this post!

Back in the day it would have been much different. Maybe we are all growing up?!?!

Notice I didn't say growing old
Old     (Jrobb)      Join Date: Aug 2016       09-19-2016, 4:10 PM Reply   
I still ride hard even at 33 i even tore my second bicep tendon this year wakeboarding. Would have had a hard time floating without my vest especially because i cannot float. Even in a pool if i take a deep breath and hold it i go straight to the bottom.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2016, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakober View Post
Glad you are still rocking O'Brien! They are doing some pretty amazing things. What are you riding now?
I'm riding the Decade. Two of my friends, and my wife, are also riding their own Decades because they loved mine so much.

I've been looking to see if they've got something better. I can't remember what I tried that was a more recent model but I liked the Decade better.

What are you riding? Any recommendations for me?
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-22-2016, 6:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm riding the Decade. Two of my friends, and my wife, are also riding their own Decades because they loved mine so much.

I've been looking to see if they've got something better. I can't remember what I tried that was a more recent model but I liked the Decade better.

+1 for the Decade fan group. I've had mine for 4 years now and will buy another if mine every breaks. I never got the no life jacket trend. I tried riding without it twice, once with a wetsuit and once during the middle of summer, and I literally felt so uncomfortable I couldn't ride well at all and never did it again.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-22-2016, 8:06 AM Reply   
I can't believe in today's world that riders are even considering not riding with a vest. I know many of us were greatly affected by the passing of Corey and that day changed most of us on the West. Today's vets are so light that there is just no excuse not to wear one now. I have rescued so many people on my boat with and without jackets, that I would not allow anything but CGA.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-22-2016, 8:36 AM Reply   
Riding without a vest is like riding a crotch rocket motorcycle without a helmet or driving on the freeway without a seatbelt...... its STUPID. I've had a crash on a Raley where I was KO'd and ingested a lot of water when I was out cold and my head was under the water. CPR and Chest compressions saved my life, but if I wasn't wearing a vest, they may have never found me.

No one is looking on from the sidelines or from their computer and thinking "Man, that guy is so cool for not wearing a vest, I'm jealous of him and how brave he is." Instead they are thinking "Man that guy is so stupid for not wearing a vest, I can't believe how dumb he is"

It just makes no sense.
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       09-22-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
my brother had a near death experience learning front side 360s a few years back....never ever ever ever EVER will we go without a life jacket for as long as we live! all it takes is 1 time and, boom, lights out....
Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       09-22-2016, 8:58 AM Reply   
if you wear a shirt/sweatshirt over your vest it makes you look JACKED sooooo why not wear a vest?
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-27-2016, 1:03 PM Reply   
I've been out of the game for a while. But while in I had a photog buddy who wanted to take pics of Daniel G. While he was in town. I thought cool, I've have pro caliber riders behind my boat, I got this.

Then he put on a t-shirt and jumped in, on the Sac river....and proceeded to Ollie over snags. Where I'm from, what you see might not be all the snag. I was so nervous I didn't say anything. Would never do it again. You want to ride I'll drain the tank, but I'm not visiting your Mother/Family to say he didn't wear a vest.

Early in my riding career, I had raleys down. Such an easy trick. Scary, but easy. Pop. Look at the tower. Wait for your back to breach, then pull the handle down. Boys in the boat said I was 12-14 feet off the water. Could have been 6, doesn't matter.

One time I didn't look at the tower, glanced down at the wake. Scorpion, broke 2 ribs, no wind. Burned in my mind, "vest do your job". I haven't done them since. 2 months of not being able to laugh was enough, by then I was to smart/scared/pussy to try it again.

When I was 20, I asked my Dad why he didn't jump out of planes anymore. "I have children."

That didn't resonate until 9/14/2003 when my son was born. Priorities. If you want to be comfortable, go lay on your bed. If you want to hit a wake at 30+ and flip, where a vest. It isn't about you.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2016, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:

To date my all time fave O'Brien board is the Format. It rides so clean, very fast on the water and pops like mad.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2016, 2:18 PM Reply   
Once again I just want to say how impressed I am with all the positive support this post has gotten.

It was cool seeing some names from back in the day commenting. Glad you are all still out there enjoying your time on the water.