Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-30-2016, 10:22 PM Reply   
I want to use a stainless steel ball valve (http://amzn.com/B00O5D1ERG) at the point where my heater hose connects to my engine. There are already some bronze (I assume... guess they could be brass) fittings in the current valve-less connection, and I'd like to keep those - especially since one of the parts I couldn't find in stainless steel anywhere. (I could get a bronze valve, but it actually costs more and will take longer to ship.)

Is there any problem with connecting bronze to stainless steel above the waterline, but with (hot) water going through the connection? Corrosion is my concern. I'm guessing it's probably okay, since a bronze/brass fitting is currently connected to the port on the engine.

Thanks...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-30-2016, 11:43 PM Reply   
That is 304 Stainless and it should not be affected by the bronze or brass it is in contact with but it may cause some increase in the corrosion in the bronze. That's more important if you are in brackish or salt water. I would put connect it in my own boat but it would be worth checking after the first season and occasionally after that. The corrosion properties are very tough to get an accurate reading on as you need to know exactly what the components of the alloys are and how conductive the water is. It should be better than the connection with cast iron.
I am not an expert in metallurgy..
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-01-2016, 8:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info.

I decided to play it (hopefully) safer and paid more for a bronze valve: http://www.pbsboatstore.com/apollo-b...-way-valve.htm

After reading about corrosion between different kinds of metals, I felt slightly concerned about the brass connection to the cast iron engine housing, since apparently brass will corrode cast iron only slightly less than that 304 stainless steel (http://www.ssina.com/corrosion/galvanic.html).
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       05-05-2016, 8:34 PM Reply   
The fittings you are talking about are brass not bronze(similar but different)

As a piping engineer that designs , builds and sells high pressure(up to 150,000PSI) systems for subsea and offshore oil and gas platforms, I can tell you that there is absolutely NO issue with combining Brass and Stainless in your situation.

There is also NO corrosion issues as mentioned above. Stainless steel is actually LESS corrosion resistant to Chlorides(salt water NaCl) than brass. The above statement by Art is false in regards to any type of increase in corrosion resistance.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

When installing your SS fittings into your SS valve you MUST use some sort of thread sealant/compound(teflon tape or pipe dope) to prevent gauling and to ensure a seal as the threads are tapered. This includes opening up the box and test fitting the fittings in your hand. Just by hand tightening the two SS fittings in your hand, you can cause gaulling. Gauling is basically the fittings welding themselves together in your hands in ambient room temp. You will NEVER be able to take them apart once they gaul.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-05-2016, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thanks for that info Mark!

I'm definitely going to use teflon tape, but I hadn't heard about gauling... very good to know.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2016, 8:50 PM Reply   
Thanks Mark I always appreciate specific knowledge.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       05-05-2016, 8:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for not taking that personally Art!!!! I only wanted to clarify things for the original question.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       05-05-2016, 9:02 PM Reply   
Interesting thing about galling.....

If you were to hand screw the brass fitting into an SS fitting, it cannot gaul

I have literally seen it hundreds of times when a rig hand test fits some fittings(of the same SS material) in their hands, not even tightened, just loosely assembled, and spends hours and uses cheater bars to try to separate them again. They will never come apart.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-08-2016, 9:19 AM Reply   
Interesting too that it's galling not gauling...gall not gaul. Of course this may be galling to some.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-08-2016, 2:52 PM Reply   
I will share what I have learned while being in the marine biz. Proper marine plumbing fittings are indeed bronze, and quite different then the brass fittings you find at the hardware store. You can get some reaction between dissimilar metals such as bronze and stainless. I do not suggest brass residential and commercial plumbing fittings from the hardware store, for your boat. For a freshwater trailer boat, I doubt you would ever see an issue with a bronze and stainless mating. Different story for a wet-slip boat or one used in salt or brackish waters.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       05-09-2016, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
Interesting too that it's galling not gauling...gall not gaul. Of course this may be galling to some.
Damn autocorrect...