Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-27-2016, 11:32 AM Reply   
Another "trick" is to get the body and mind knowing what it looks and feels like going down the wake on the landing.

So a little Ollie inside out. Doesn't even have to leave the water, just go over the wake from the inside hard enough to lose the edge - so it has to be landed and caught on the downside.

Of course reentry Ollie would also work, but probably not comfortable doing that.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-27-2016, 12:04 PM Reply   
She has pretty good form. Looks like consistently she is letting the rope pull her at the shoulders. What I mean by that is that she is folding in half at the waist and that is why she cannot generate the line tension she requires to get more pop and carry across. She should sit like she is in a chair with her back straight. Her hips should be making almost a 90 degree angle with her back. Also tell her to bring the handle closer to her stomach. Arms in, chest up. Will help a lot. Congrats on finding someone who will shred with you in the winter! You are an extremely lucky dude! 😝
Old     (timelinex)      Join Date: Oct 2014       12-27-2016, 1:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The rope lengths you're using aren't really conducive to a newbie. I would put her in 5 feet, at either rope length.

For me, her form is OK for someone who is barely making it. She'll get better over time, but you need to get her over the hump. Just keep bringing the rope in until she clears it. She needs a confidence boost before she's gonna start pushing off harder.
Well, I can't put her in another 5 ft. I barely convinced her on the 60ft length. She hates the added line tension sensitivity and it also puts her alot closer to the boat spray. I definitely won't be able to convince her on it haha.. So what your saying is to kick up the speed then from 19.2mph to mid 20s at 60ft? I tried adding .4mph or so, but never 1mph+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
Another "trick" is to get the body and mind knowing what it looks and feels like going down the wake on the landing.

So a little Ollie inside out. Doesn't even have to leave the water, just go over the wake from the inside hard enough to lose the edge - so it has to be landed and caught on the downside.

Of course reentry Ollie would also work, but probably not comfortable doing that.
The last 2 times we have gone out she has actually been been practicing the inside out ollie. I was hoping it would help her get better at doing the progressive edge and standing tall. I really like how an inside out jump either gives you barely any air or has you jumping almost into the flats if you do everything right. Instant feedback on your technique, but relatively minimal wear and tear that a w2w puts on you. She was slowly getting better at them.

She's also done a bunch of re entry ollies.

She really has been practicing alot of other things (180's, slowly doing TS jumps and also riding switch) So the good part is hopefully once she conquers the w2w, it will all come together and her progress will shoot up pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Hooke102 View Post
She has pretty good form. Looks like consistently she is letting the rope pull her at the shoulders. What I mean by that is that she is folding in half at the waist and that is why she cannot generate the line tension she requires to get more pop and carry across. She should sit like she is in a chair with her back straight. Her hips should be making almost a 90 degree angle with her back. Also tell her to bring the handle closer to her stomach. Arms in, chest up. Will help a lot. Congrats on finding someone who will shred with you in the winter! You are an extremely lucky dude! 😝
I noticed this last time as well. She used to absorb the wake with ther legs, but recently she has mostly fixed that and just isn't 100% straightening which is OK for just making it w2w. Then I realized whatever she gained by straightening her legs, she lost by instead starting to bend at the waist. I told her to bring her hips to the handle during the jump, but it didn't help much. I think at this point she probably already feels overwhelmed by all the little things she has to keep in mind. When she tried doing it, her cut became weaker. It's almost like she just does whatever it takes to make sure she doesn't clear the wake!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will have her read this thread. Hopefully between the speed change will give her the extra boost to make it and that will give her the confidence to really work on the shoulder/waist thing you mentioned and the other things like better leg popping.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-27-2016, 8:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
Well, I can't put her in another 5 ft. I barely convinced her on the 60ft length. She hates the added line tension sensitivity and it also puts her alot closer to the boat spray. I definitely won't be able to convince her on it haha.. So what your saying is to kick up the speed then from 19.2mph to mid 20s at 60ft? I tried adding .4mph or so, but never 1mph+.

The last 2 times we have gone out she has actually been been practicing the inside out ollie. I was hoping it would help her get better at doing the progressive edge and standing tall. I really like how an inside out jump either gives you barely any air or has you jumping almost into the flats if you do everything right. Instant feedback on your technique, but relatively minimal wear and tear that a w2w puts on you. She was slowly getting better at them.

She's also done a bunch of re entry ollies.

She really has been practicing alot of other things (180's, slowly doing TS jumps and also riding switch) So the good part is hopefully once she conquers the w2w, it will all come together and her progress will shoot up pretty fast.

I noticed this last time as well. She used to absorb the wake with ther legs, but recently she has mostly fixed that and just isn't 100% straightening which is OK for just making it w2w. Then I realized whatever she gained by straightening her legs, she lost by instead starting to bend at the waist. I told her to bring her hips to the handle during the jump, but it didn't help much. I think at this point she probably already feels overwhelmed by all the little things she has to keep in mind. When she tried doing it, her cut became weaker. It's almost like she just does whatever it takes to make sure she doesn't clear the wake!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will have her read this thread. Hopefully between the speed change will give her the extra boost to make it and that will give her the confidence to really work on the shoulder/waist thing you mentioned and the other things like better leg popping.

Go 60@21mph. Guaranteed she gets it immediately
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       12-28-2016, 1:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
Well, She hates the added line tension sensitivity
Like others have said 60ft at 21-22mph and the wake will be narrow enough for her to clear, but I'm confused by what you meant by the above statement. The increased loading of the line with a better edge/harder cut/etc by definition increases the line tensions as she's cutting in. That's just something she'll need to get used to in order to start jumping the wake and going higher/out into the flats. More line tensions equals better pop.

Try to get her to work on the Standing Tall Drill, it should help her get more comfortable with more a line tension and she doesn't have to worry about hitting the wake.

http://www.learnwake.com/hs-jumps-st...ing-tall-drill
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-28-2016, 2:06 PM Reply   
Get her some lessons from one of the wakeboarding schools or coaches. She's ready for lessons from someone other than her worse half...you. There is a dynamic that plays out between couples trying to teach each other...she will act and respond much differently with a paid coach lesson. She will rise to the occasion. She has the skills.